RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Curious though, what you are basing your proceed with extreme caution on? I'm not familiar enough with the L405 to make all the calls myself (I've been on the L322 for 5+ years) so I'm interested what the group thinks/recommends/feedback/etc. The engine sound seems to be normal from what I'm heaving here ("these engines sound like diesels" etc) and seems to sound like the other videos posted here. I do plan on LR doing a PPI...I don't have an independent as I've always done my L322 maint myself.

Per carfax:

5,000 miles:
Vehicle serviced
  • Recommended maintenance performed
  • Maintenance inspection completed
  • Computer reprogrammed
  • Electrical system checked
  • Tire condition and pressure checked
10,000 miles:
Vehicle serviced
  • Airbag system checked
  • Brakes checked
11,000 miles
Vehicle serviced
  • Brakes checked
  • Cooling system checked
  • Computer(s) checked
  • Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed
20,000 miles
Vehicle serviced
  • Vehicle washed/detailed
  • Four wheel alignment performed
21,000 miles
Vehicle serviced
  • Water pump replaced
  • Cooling system checked
  • Fluids checked
Vehicle serviced
  • Glass checked
  • Electrical system checked
  • Trim checked
  • Brakes checked
  • Vehicle washed/detailed
  • Drivability/performance checked
  • Front brake rotor(s) replaced
  • Front brake pads replaced
  • Emissions inspection performed
  • Emissions or safety inspection performed
I have a 2013 with 86,000 miles and love it. Generally speaking, the L405 encounters fewer problems than earlier models. I haven’t experienced the issues you are identifying, so that gives me reason for concern and you’re a bit concerned already. The service history appears correct. You just want to be sure you’re not inheriting someone else’s problems because they’re choosing to sell the vehicle vs invest in the repairs.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3 Posts
Does this sound normal?

2014 ATB w/ around 30k miles. I noticed the engine has like a ticking sound to it. Do these 5.0L v8 SC engines have a vanos? Fuel pump? Lifters? It seemed louder on the left side (passenger side) of the engine cover. This was on a cold start. It may have quieted down once it warmed up but can’t 100% recall.

also getting a “low battery” message on the dash? “Low battery please start the engine”? Failing battery?
Ray's is a NA not a SC FWIW.

It wasn't as loud as the vid in person standing in front of it. I wedged my phone down in the engine so I could get a proper recording of the sound (the dealer is right off the highway so I didn't want passing cars to interrupt the sound). You can tell when I brought the phone out of the engine over top of the engine cover the sound is quiter. The sound I heard seems to be identicle to the other video above which you can hear from 1:45 on....that engine has less than 100 miles.

I do plan on getting a PPI. There is a Land Rover dealer right down the road from this car dealer. This RR is at an "ultra luxury OEM dealer", so I'd hope they would only acquire good examples for their used cars but that could be putting too much faith in them.

Thanks so far for the responses. Still open to hear more opinions....
My 2011 Sport SC sounds like a diesel and always has. Now has 82,000 and tech says this is normal. Burns no oil so far and runs like the 5.0 liter beast it is. Bit of supercharger clatter on a cold start but soon goes away.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Id be more concerned about the rust thats bad for a5 yr old RR there will be more you cant see , walk away ,

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Id be more concerned about the rust thats bad for a5 yr old RR there will be more you cant see , walk away ,
you should see other cars here in the snow/salt North East USA. All have rust underneath...and on the outside as well. The advantage is the RR is aluminum so the body won't get torn up.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Had the vehicle into Land Rover dealer for a PPI pre-purchase inspection. And they came back with 2 things:

1) rear door won’t unlock from inside - not a huge deal and easy/low cost fix.

2) rear diff “significant leak and will need to replace pinion and seal”.

Total to fix both: $1800

is this normal fix or should they be replacing the rear diff?

I’d negotiate these costs off the price of the car.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
199 Posts
2) rear diff “significant leak and will need to replace pinion and seal”.
is this normal fix or should they be replacing the rear diff?
there is a pinion seal repair kit that LR has to fix this issue.

I had the same on mine, and LR did the repair. A few months later, the diff started whining, and they had to replace with a new diff. The mech's report was that even though the rear diff only lost a few teaspoons of oil, that was enough to damage the bearings.

So be aware that even though they might repair it and it runs fine now, in a few months' time you may need a new diff.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
there is a pinion seal repair kit that LR has to fix this issue.

I had the same on mine, and LR did the repair. A few months later, the diff started whining, and they had to replace with a new diff. The mech's report was that even though the rear diff only lost a few teaspoons of oil, that was enough to damage the bearings.

So be aware that even though they might repair it and it runs fine now, in a few months' time you may need a new diff.
covered under warranty either factory or aftermarket?

·
Registered
199 Posts
covered under warranty either factory or aftermarket?
my RRS is still under factory service plan (5 yr/100,00km), so all costs are covered until June 2020.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
my RRS is still under factory service plan (5 yr/100,00km), so all costs are covered until June 2020.
Losing a couple teaspons ruined it...what a line lol....typical dealer

Was your bad enough that it dripped onto the ground at all? Or just residue underneath?

Nice. This would be under an aftermarket warranty (MAP warranty) but it's the premium offering. So I would think it would be covered. It's an exclusionary warranty which basically covers everything except wear and maintenance items and lamps

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just wanted to add that upon cold start the engine is much more noisy for a good time. After you drive it a bunch and when it warms up most of the noise is gone.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I just wanted to add that upon cold start the engine is much more noisy for a good time. After you drive it a bunch and when it warms up most of the noise is gone.
what type of noise, the chain tensioner needs oil pressure to tension... so when cold the pressure may not be actuating it fully... once warm and the oil has thinned it'll tension and quiet down. Are you up on your oil changes? Are you using the correct oil? If it's a chatter noise that isn't good, if it's just loud on start up that's normal with the higher cold start rpm etc.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Losing a couple teaspons ruined it...what a line lol....typical dealer
Was your bad enough that it dripped onto the ground at all? Or just residue underneath?
Yes, it dripped on my garage floor - that's how I knew there was a problem.

This typically happens if you buy a used RRS which had never gone off-road before, and then you start going off-road, and then suddenly all the bits are working very hard.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts