RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2004 U.S. Range Rover with 108K miles. Although the two front air struts have been changed, the original air compressor survives, which I assume is the exception to the rule. I'll be taking this L322 into the Sierra mountains as a camping trailer tow vehicle, and there's little room for breakdowns up there, with only mom-and-pop repair shops in nearby towns for that matter. If this air compressor is basically near the end of its typical lifespan, I'll just go ahead and preventively replace it. But I don't know if that's the case. Anyone know how long these factory compressors last assuming a leaking strut hasn't caused its replacement already?

For that matter, out of curiosity I might as well ask for opinions on L322 lifespans for:

-Fuel pump
-Alternator
-Brake master cylinder
-Water pump (radiator is new -- I understand that both parts are suspect by 100K)

Thanks!

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
There is no such thing as typical life span on wear items. Since the front struts have been replaced, the leaks were most likely found early. leaks ignored are what burn out compressors. i would not at all be worried about your compressor. they usually give lots of warning when they start to get tired. Front struts fail/wear out appx 2:1 with rear EAS bits. You easily have 10s of thousands of miles left on the rears. Fronts are new... your compressor is not keeping up with leaks so really is not working all that hard.

One weak link in the mix is the radiator/ tranny cooler crossover. With the new radiator you re ahead of the game. Transmissions are NOT sealed and good for life as dictated by BMW marketing. The ZF fluid change is set for appx 80K miles, If your tranny has not had a fluid and filter change, do so... or have an indie change the fluid and filter. you will get more life from a properly maintained original tranny than a reconditioned replacement.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
To add to the last post.. as long as it is not overheating it's fine. Rather than changing parts that are quite expensive for no urgent reason, get some diagnostics and be on top.of it.
I wouldn't go to Nicaragua let alone to the US in any modern Range without the appropriate tool. (IIdTool or Nanocom)

Alternator: use your multimeter, not statistics. Imho they suffer more from failing batteries than alternators.

By all means, do what the boss says and change your transmission fluid and pan.

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
Brake/and pump: never fails on these, pads and disks do. Also ABS sensors do go wrong, which can make your suspension go into standard height and nothing else

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coolness. Thanks for the great insight, folks. Sounds like the compressor (and several other primary parts) may have a few of their 9 cat lives left. I may make one exception for the water pump since the Robison Service website (a reputable Boston Land Rover shop) specifically calls out both the radiator and water pump as on borrowed time at 100K miles, those and of course the front struts. Then again, if these M62 water pumps tend to give plenty of advance warning (I dont know), even that preventive repair may be unnecessary.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 2004 L322 with 158k; had her since new. Replaced the radiator and water pump around 120k miles. The transmission I wish I had changed the fluid on, but I followed the dubious BMW "lifetime" oil maintenance and had to replace the transmission at 145k miles...otherwise the car is great. 2 front and 1 rear air struts. 3 wheel hub bearings...oh and all new ignition coils / seals around 150k miles...developed a rough idle. She runs beautifully now, but the suspension creaks when I enter and exit. Any suspension lubrication tips?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads-up on the L322 wheel hubs and ignition coils, jmodd77.

For what it's worth, the seller of my 2004 ride had indicated that the air compressor and fuel pump were original, but an invoice I just came across indicates both were replaced before 100K.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts