RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hurricane Michael dropped a tree on our low mileage 1999 Lexus SUV. I have been absent from this forum for years after "losing" our P38. My wife has always wanted to return to this model (the only thing great about the Lexus was the reliability) and so I tried to purchase an incredible looking special edition P38 listed on Craigslist. The price was very good and so I agreed to pay it without any negotiation. The price was almost too good to be true but the vehicle was so good I could not afford to ignore it. So the arrangement made was for a $2.5K down payment to be followed up with the balance in cash. We had planned to fly in and drive cross country back to North Carolina. Initially everything went well. However, when I pressed for the owners name and a statement of intent for the down payment to be made by a US Postal Money order everything went sideways. In the past, for me, US Postal money orders have worked well when making purchases on Craig's list. Is there some scam involved using postal money orders that I am unaware of? I am really at a loss here trying to figure out what I did wrong. Thanks for your thoughts-Oh and to be very clear this purchase had nothing to do with the P38 listed here at Range Rovers.net in Atlanta.

·
Registered
771 Posts
50% deposit seems a bit much, I certainly wouldn’t put that much down, scammers are everywhere these days, I’ve been awarded 5 million 3 times today, am I lucky or what, lmao.
must admit I don’t know what a statement of intent is, not something we use here in the UK

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
Does seem that things are done a bit diifferently. I would have got the sellers name, address, phone number and email address first then maybe paid a deposit of no more than 10%. Once you have an address you can use Google Streetview to see whether the address looks 'right'. If a US Postal Money order is the same as a UK Postal Order, it's like a cheque but can be cashed by anyone at any Post Office so not particularly secure. Why not use a bank transfer or Paypal?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I might be difficult for the seller to find a post office with $2,500 cash on hand as everyone uses debit cards and credit cards to pay for things these days. I have a US Post Office money order for $325 that I have not been able to cash at any nearby post offices.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
So the arrangement made was for a $2.5K down payment to be followed up with the balance in cash. We had planned to fly in and drive cross country back to North Carolina. Initially everything went well. However, when I pressed for the owners name and a statement of intent for the down payment to be made by a US Postal Money order everything went sideways.
Payments made by money order or wire are a recipe for financial suicide. They are untraceable. DO NOT EVER pay for ANYTHING by money order or wire order sight unseen. If a seller is real and the rig is real they will be happy to wait for you to arrive in person to inspect the rig. DO NOT give ANY monies to a stranger many miles away. You are pretty much guaranteed to loose your shorts and funds.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If something seems off . . . it probably is.

I've bought motorcycles at a distance, but money was never exchanged till I saw it in person, inspected it, and made sure the title was clear and matched the VIN. It can be difficult but you need to convince the seller you are legit as well. The last motorcycle I bought we did a Facetime with Ipads for a look at the bike as well. Then, run to it. Either with a one way airline ticket or an all night drive with trailer in tow. Bring cash and scoop it up and go. Sellers are just as nervous as buyers in these distance transactions.

But if you want something unique chances are you will not find it in your backyard . . . you have to go get it.

Best of luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts