Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ditched my MOST digital to analog pre and 150lbs subwoofer and soldered up the factory plugs to reinstall the Logic7 amp.

In the process, I noticed an optical connection on the amp.

So after some reading, I see that it is in fact an optical input, used by the factory DVD player with the RSE package.

Anyone have any experience with the optical input?

Wondering if I can enable RSE or AUX and make use of the optical input.

Ideally, would like to connect a USB to SPDIF/optical adapter from my phone to the Logic7 amp, giving me a nice clean input to stream Tidal and other music from my phone or a tablet.

Has anyone played around with the optical input?

Thx

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So far, I have enabled RSE with my IIDTool, which now gives me the DVD option on screen, but it's greyed out and does not let me select it.

Anyone played with this??

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Logic7 amp and the MOST system seems to be responding to audio input on the toslink connection. When I play audio with my phone connected to the optical input, the MOST bus temporarily goes down and comes back up.

Still no idea what bit depth and sampling rate is supported on toslink, but making progress....

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No progress, haven't tried again. Will work on it this weekend.

Not the same as what they are doing. They're tapping in to the pre-wired analog input on the back of the head unit. That's my last resort. Anything is better than FM modulation.

I'm attempting to use the digital input on the Logic7 amp that is normally used for the 5.1ch digital input from the DVD player as part of the RSE system.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
DVD is probably grayed out because it is looking for the RSE unit, and even then the SPDIF might only be selected when a DVD is available, as it also has the option for the 2 AV inputs.

I like the idea, and I'll play around with it some, as this should be a function of the IHU, but there were amp eq file issues, and not all are fully compatible for other inputs.

By MOST goes down, do you mean the screen power button starts flashing, or are you looking at activity in the diag menu? I'm assuming the usb-toslink you have works from your phone to other inputs.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep tested the USB toslink, get output from it. It's a cheap USB sound blaster. Cheapest thing anyone had in stock locally.

When I play music from my phone, the power light on the IHU flashes temporarily.

I have no idea what bit depth or frequency the toslink is outputting when playing music from my phone.

I'll try my laptop with Roon or Foobar2000 so I can monitor output bit depth etc. and play with things. And try different configs for the audio with IIDTool.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did some testing this morning, here's what I found so far:

Logic7 amp does not respond to 16/44, 16/48, 24/44 or 24/48.

However, when it senses input of 24/96 on the Toslink, it immediately cuts CD playback and the power light on IHU starts flashing and radio/CD go grey.

So it seems like the Logic7 defaults to the Toslink input over the others. May not have to "switch" to the optical input, it may switch to it automatically when it detects audio input on it.

Going to try some config changes with my IIDTool and report back.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
It doesn't default to the Toslink, as then anytime watching a DVD on the rear screens(if RSE fitted) would default the speaker audio.

I think what you're seeing might be more so the amp getting an unexpected(but compatible) input, and glitching, causing the MOST ring to break for a second. The IHU(not the screen) dictates what the amp outputs, over MOST.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds accurate.

I'm going to have to try some different config options with my IIDTool.

Any idea how I could trigger the Logic7 amp to switch to the optical input?

So far it only reacts/glitches to 24/96 input on the Toslink. I'm thinking I need to try a different sound card that can output 24/192 over Toslink.

I remember reading that the Logic7 amp operates at 24/192.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts