RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver's side door will unlock with the key, but it won't unlock. I've taken off the door panel and had a look around, but I can't see anything amiss. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
334 Posts
>>My driver's side door will unlock with the key, but it won't unlock.

Could you elaborate? The wording here is a little confusing.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
84 Posts
You insert the key to unlock the door, but the door physically won't open???

If so, the issue is a broken or missing round spring located at the door latch mechanism.
I just replaced my drivers latch for just this problem. I rarely use the key, instead I use my key fob from my alarm to lock and unlock my doors.

What had happened was the door pin would go up, but as soon as I pull the door handle, it falls down a bit.
Before replacing the latch, I tried to readjust the door lock actuator. It was a temporary fix and through my research I found the spring to be a common issue.
You can buy the spring from several vendors on Ebay UK and through Rover shops in the UK.

I got my latch from my local junkyard/breaker for $8. Pulled it from a Disco 1 since they didn't have any Classics this time around.

http://disco-compatible-parts.com/springs.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the bad explanation. When the door is locked, I can put the key in and turn it and it will unlock the door. When the door is already unlocked, the key will not lock the door. Hopefully that makes more sense.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
84 Posts
Follow the instructions in the Bentley manual or Rave CD.

You'll need to remove the window frame, mirror wiring and lift out of the way.
Remove the numerous clips and rods, making a mental note of the proper location and orientation of the brackets, rods and clips.
Many clips are shared, some are slightly different.
Remove the door latch and inspect it for missing springs.

Technically only the round spring above is sold separately.
The blue one noted below is not.
The thin gold spring can be sourced from a hardware store (suitable replacement).

The following is from my observations and not noted in the Bentley manual or Rave CD.

There are only 3 serviceable springs. Each performs a certain function.
In my case the one I posted above is for the door pin.

There is a large blue spring used for the locking and unlocking latch mechanism.

A thin long gold spring is used for tension of the door key rod at the latch.
The tension is needed for the mechanism to work in both directions.
With out the spring, it doesn't return to its proper location.

While you have the latch out, make sure to degrease it,
Apply white lithium grease upon returning to service.

Found these pics online.

This arrow points to the round spring that I was missing.
To the right of it is the long gold spring I was talking about in this post.

Blue spring lower left.

Support your US based Rover parts vendors! :thumb:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Are we certain that the problem is mechanical vs electrical? When inside the car (don't know the year) if you push down on the drivers side door lock, do all door locks go to the lock position? When unlocking, doest the reverse happen? Also try the passenger side? Could it not be a bad actuator, electrical? I know that the key should move the physical lock up/down. However, could the electrics stop the mechanical movement?

Parker
1993 Plymouth Blue LWB

PS - Thanks for the great pictures Eric.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts