RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm totally locked out of my 2002 RR Vogue! During the cold weather in January my drivers door outside handle stopped working, I was just about to go away on a couple of weeks business so I decided to get it fixed on my return. While I was away the alarm went off in my driveway, my wife went out and put the key in the lock to stop the alarm. On my return it seems the battery is completely dead and when I turn the key in the drivers side lock although the lock pops up because the handle is not working I cannot get in.
Any ideas on how I can get around this? I have spoken to the dealer and they have suggested attaching a battery to the starter motor under the car to get some power so that the key will open the central locking. I have removed the under tray but do not know where the starter motor is.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Starter is at the back of the engine, low down by the gearbox bell housing. There will be a big big cable going to it, connect to this. Earth can be to chassis obviously.

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dan

Thanks for the info, does that mean I did not need to take the under tray off?

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I cant remember how far back the tray goes...

I might be telling great big lies, but i'm sure it goes in this hole here:

[attachment=0:3dkq1nzt]M62.jpg[/attachment:3dkq1nzt]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Lol, I wish. If it was a Rover V8 no problem, but this BMW engine is a compicated bit of kit!

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
juststevet said:
Mine is the diesel so not sure if it is in the same place.

Steve
A couple things that would help us help you is to fill out your profile with a location and to add your rig details to your siggy.

No matter your engine the starter will be where the engine meets the tranny.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
juststevet said:
OK Cheers.

I think I have done that!
And?

I noticed you are being advised to remove the passenger Wheel arch cover to find the Bonnet release cable on Land Rover.net.....

If you have connected via the starter motor why do this?

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
juststevet said:
OK Cheers.

I think I have done that!
Since you have an early modle MarkIII I would download RAVE from the internet. RAVE is the full shop manual and will give you a wealth of knowledge with pictures and diagrams for most any repair.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
You know this has me thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to hard wire a quick connect wire to the battery that could be accessed at the grill just for this reason. I have had my battery go south (dead) at the airport, because the alarm was set off, and suck the life out of the battery.

Just an Idea.

Mark.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have not tried any of the solutions yet, I will have to wait until I get back from work. I am reading through the RAVE as suggested but no real solutions that I can see apart from the 2 suggested.

Cheers

·
Registered
690 Posts
Moto One said:
You know this has me thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to hard wire a quick connect wire to the battery that could be accessed at the grill just for this reason. I have had my battery go south (dead) at the airport, because the alarm was set off, and suck the life out of the battery.

Just an Idea.

Mark.
Sounds like a good one. I am thinking of leaving my Range on a trickle charger when away for a period of several months, and you have given me an idea of how to do this without leaving the hood open. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
On the TDV8 there is a special live Terminal in a convenient position way in front of the battery on the bulkhead for connecting the live jump lead (negative to car frame) in the case of weak/flat battery. It would be easy to modify a Jump lead for permanent connection to this terminal/connection point and have the other end accessible from the wheel arch, side vent or front grille?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
237 Posts
There is such a terminal on the Td6 too, under a red plastic cover just by the damper.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts