Range Rovers Forum banner

locked out of my 2000 Range Rover HSE

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  1996_P38_4.0 
#1 ·
Hi all! I am completely locked out of my Rover. The battery is not dead. The key fobs haven't worked for some time and I just enter with the key each morning locking an unlocking manually. I sent my kid down to open the door last week and she tried and tried so I believe the car went on super lockdown - thinking it was being stolen. I can barely turn the key when attempting the lock (forward) turn. I tried the 1515 and it didn't work. The lights flash 3 times when I turn to the unlock (backward toward rear of vehicle) position but no lights when i turn toward the front (lock position) The little red light on the dash flashes quickly when I do this. Then it slows again to normal pace. The doors do not open.
I have also tried the lock and hold for 3 seconds attempt to get in> 3 sec unlock and hold and then 3 sec lock and hold ... to no avail.
Can anyone please tell me what I can do or try next?

#3 ·
Have you tried to synch the fobs - ever, or now?
Hi there. I am not sure if you have managed to get into your car.
Please find attached a possible cause & solution to your problem.
I hope it works for you.
Regards
Iain

Lately there seems to be an increasing number of owners reporting that they are having problems with opening the doors on their P38s.
The first diagnosis being put forward is that the door or doors have somehow “Superlocked” themselves. This is a possibility but most certainly not always the case.
So before you follow some of the many drastic solutions offered over the Internet,
Ripping off the door card & smashing the latch.
Cutting through the locking latch on the door pillar
Some even suggesting removing the front wing to axmccess the door hinges!!
Do yourself a favour and try this first., you won’t need any fancy diagnostics tools, expensive mobile locksmiths door locks or windows.
The actual problem is usually nothing more than a sticky latch, the outer door seal wear over time and therefore allow rain water to run down the glass into the door where it ends up dropping on the latch mechanism which in turn causes the lock to become very stiff.
The door latch ends up in a half locked / half open state, this is what causes the lock to “bounce” ( every time you unlock it, it locks its self again. (if you suffer from bouncing locks, this is an early warning that your lick is starting to seize up ( it is not always faulty micro switches) it is that simple.
Please also study my questionnaire regarding Key Code Lockout & Engine Disabled issues. These two problems are not related in any way and should not be confused with each other.
Now arm yourself with the following equipment
A good bright torch (slim if possible)
A small wedge shaped piece of plastic or wood ( not too thick)
Along thin screwdriver of long thin ruler or even a knitting needle (no. 6 or 8)

Use your remote fob or manual key to gain access to the car.
Once in the car fully open the window in the Drivers door
Place your small wedge between the inside of the window & the door shell ( so as to give you a better view)
Now you need to shine your torch down the inside of the door shell (The same side as your wedge)
Please watch the small video ( Video 1) attached at the foot of this file.
It will show you the action that should happen when you pull on the inside handle
When you pull the handle there should be very little free movement between the lever that the control cable pulls & the white plastic crossbar in the latch mechanism.
If do do see an open space between the control cable arm & the crossbar then you need to carefully push the crossbar down towards the lever on the control cable arm.
You should now be able to pull up the door lick button & open your door.
If there is no clearance as mentioned above then repeat the proceedure by pulling on the outside door handle.
Please refer to video 2 attached to see how the outer door handle operates the latch mechanism.
If you find the free movement gap while operating the outer handle repeat the step pushing down on the outside end of the crossbar.
I hope this helps a few P38 owners & saves them from pulling their hair out.
Regards
Iain
We R Rangerover P38s Ltd.
Hi all! I am completely locked out of my Rover. The battery is not dead. The key fobs haven't worked for some time and I just enter with the key each morning locking an unlocking manually. I sent my kid down to open the door last week and she tried and tried so I believe the car went on super lockdown - thinking it was being stolen. I can barely turn the key when attempting the lock (forward) turn. I tried the 1515 and it didn't work. The lights flash 3 times when I turn to the unlock (backward toward rear of vehicle) position but no lights when i turn toward the front (lock position) The little red light on the dash flashes quickly when I do this. Then it slows again to normal pace. The doors do not open.
I have also tried the lock and hold for 3 seconds attempt to get in> 3 sec unlock and hold and then 3 sec lock and hold ... to no avail.
Can anyone please tell me what I can do or try next?
Here is a possible solution to your problem
Regards
Iain
Lately there seems to be an increasing number of owners reporting that they are having problems with opening the doors on their P38s.
The first diagnosis being put forward is that the door or doors have somehow “Superlocked” themselves. This is a possibility but most certainly not always the case.
So before you follow some of the many drastic solutions offered over the Internet,
Ripping off the door card & smashing the latch.
Cutting through the locking latch on the door pillar
Some even suggesting removing the front wing to axmccess the door hinges!!
Do yourself a favour and try this first., you won’t need any fancy diagnostics tools, expensive mobile locksmiths door locks or windows.
The actual problem is usually nothing more than a sticky latch, the outer door seal wear over time and therefore allow rain water to run down the glass into the door where it ends up dropping on the latch mechanism which in turn causes the lock to become very stiff.
The door latch ends up in a half locked / half open state, this is what causes the lock to “bounce” ( every time you unlock it, it locks its self again. (if you suffer from bouncing locks, this is an early warning that your lick is starting to seize up ( it is not always faulty micro switches) it is that simple.
Please also study my questionnaire regarding Key Code Lockout & Engine Disabled issues. These two problems are not related in any way and should not be confused with each other.
Now arm yourself with the following equipment
A good bright torch (slim if possible)
A small wedge shaped piece of plastic or wood ( not too thick)
Along thin screwdriver of long thin ruler or even a knitting needle (no. 6 or 8)

Use your remote fob or manual key to gain access to the car.
Once in the car fully open the window in the Drivers door
Place your small wedge between the inside of the window & the door shell ( so as to give you a better view)
Now you need to shine your torch down the inside of the door shell (The same side as your wedge)
Please watch the small video ( Video 1) attached at the foot of this file.
It will show you the action that should happen when you pull on the inside handle
When you pull the handle there should be very little free movement between the lever that the control cable pulls & the white plastic crossbar in the latch mechanism.
If do do see an open space between the control cable arm & the crossbar then you need to carefully push the crossbar down towards the lever on the control cable arm.
You should now be able to pull up the door lick button & open your door.
If there is no clearance as mentioned above then repeat the proceedure by pulling on the outside door handle.
Please refer to video 2 attached to see how the outer door handle operates the latch mechanism.
If you find the free movement gap while operating the outer handle repeat the step pushing down on the outside end of the crossbar.
I hope this helps a few P38 owners & saves them from pulling their hair out.
Regards
Iain
We R Rangerover P38s Ltd.

#9 ·
To sync the fob put the key in the door lock, turn to lock, hold there. Press and hold the fob lock button until the LED starts to flash faster, release the fob button and turn the key back to centre. Then repeat in the unlock position, turn the key to unlock, hold it there, press and hold the unlock button on the fob until the LED flashes faster, release the fob button, turn the key back to centre. The fob should now be synced and will lock and unlock the car remotely.

#11 ·
Thanks everyone! I'm in the car and the key 1 is synced up:) the rubber pads on the fob are gone so I have to push it with a pencil but at least I'm in. problem now is I cant get out from inside the drivers seat. When I pull the handle it moves but does not open the door. Any thoughts as to what I might do ? thanks.

#12 ·
Replacement rubber pads are cheap and easy to get, see LAND RANGE ROVER P38 95-02 REMOTE KEY FOB BUTTON PAD COVER REPAIR KIT YWC000300 | eBay or order part number YWC000300 from a Land Rover dealer. All you do is lever the old one out with the end of a knife and pop the new one in.

If water has been getting into the door it is likely that the nylon crank the cable from the interior handle attaches to has got stiff on it's pivot. That is probably what caused you to have the problems before, it hadn't returned fully. You'll need ot take the door trim panel off to get to it but the latch doesn't need to come out. A squirt of lube and work it back and forth and it should free off.

#13 ·
For anyone else who finds themselves locked out (or has locked the keys inside the car - like I did). There is a way to pop the tailgate from outside. It involves pulling down the wiring loom at the bottom of the tailgate. If you search the internet you will probably find it. I won't post the details as some people don't like this sort of info to be publicised. PM me for details if you need them

#14 ·
The easiest way to get into a p38 without cutting or breaking things is to carefully pry out the rubber window trim on one of the small triangular glass window inserts found on the rear passenger doors. The glass will come out easily. Reach in and unlock the door. The glass and weatherstrip goes back in easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.