RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, a huge thank you to all the forum, you've saved me hundreds of $ and many hours of frustration. Hi How sad is this? The only 4 wheeled vehicle running at our place is a 91 Peugeot 505. Actually, THE QUESTION IS, I am changing the LH front door latch mechanism on my '02 p38 and cannot seem to get the rod from the lock tumbler to the latch off. any hints on releasing the clip holding the rod to the tumbler? Once I get the latch mech. changed out next is an O2 sensor. the OBD read out is indicating "bank 1". would that be LH or RH? or do you think I should just change out both side? The truck has 114K miles on it. Still in the process of putting the old Jag back together from a head gasket job.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Bank 1 is the one with the number 1 cylinder, so the right side as you look at the engine bay. Driver's side for those of you who drive the wrong way round.

The lock rod is held in with a kind of spring clip, and has its end shaped a bit like a jack plug. You need to very gently pull it out, taking care not to break the lock tang. I found a small flat-blade screwdriver in between the tang and the right-angled bit of the lock worked just fine.

·
Registered
669 Posts
quickie (and without checking the part number :oops: on Microcat) is that clip a dealer only supply -- did my drivers door lock a couple of weeks ago and the thing dropped into the door never to be retrieved so a very small nylon tiewrap is holding the rod in place to the handle at the mo....

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
I suspect, without checking Microcat, that the clip is only sold as part of the door handle and lock assembly and will probably cost an arm and leg. If I remember right from when I did the latches on my spare car, it's a metal clip. Magnet in the bottom of the door to fish it out?

·
Registered
690 Posts
On mine it's a little bit of springy steel with the "open" ends rolled over to click into the notch on the end of the rod. The end of the rod is tapered to push the rolled edges apart a little as it goes in.

A magnet will indeed retrieve it from the bottom of the door, when it falls off and drops into the depths.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
792 Posts
MTC9290

They are so cheap you might as well buy a handful.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts