RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of removing interior rust and am seeking a fix for a bit of missing quarter window seal. It's about 2 inches along the bottom edge next to the rear door.
Silicone it maybe? Or try and source a new seal? So far no luck on the latter..
. IMG_0002.JPG

Photo attached.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What you have there is unfortunately a common problem. The edge that overlaps the body panel becomes brittle with age and slowly breaks off through car washing etc. I would attempt a fix of some sort for now unless you want to spend a fortune on replacements. They come up from time to time in the UK but are upwards of $400 for a pair!!

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
yup, pocket book killer for parts or acres of labour to repair the rusts and damage. caulk it and save both.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. With this luck my relationship with "Charles" might be very short.

I don't trust myself making silicone look right so it's off to the body shop.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Seriously? At least TRY. Spread a small amount of black PVC caulking, wet your finger and slowly pull it from the panel edge to the existing gasket. Moments of DIY and huge savings at the body shop.

Common Burl, you can do this on your own and enjoy a brew for your your efforts. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
You should probably do the same on the upper tailgate frame glass. These are notorious for leaking water inside the frame.

I used 3M 5200, which is marine-grade, which is also my temp fix for the side panels, until I find replacements.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should probably do the same on the upper tailgate frame glass. These are notorious for leaking water inside the frame.

I used 3M 5200, which is marine-grade, which is also my temp fix for the side panels, until I find replacements.
Thanks for the heads up. Thankfully my tailgate had already been rebuilt (in aluminum no less!) when I got it.

And I saw your recommendations for the 3M product on other sites and got some! An improvement over silicone for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts