Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have these installed? How do they work out with a loadspace mat? After living with them for a while, do you find them useful enough to justify the expense?

I just got the WeatherTech loadspace mat, which has cutouts marked for the rails, but it isn't clear if the mat sits on top of the rails and leaves space to relocate the tie down points in a few sections or if the mat sits under the rails, which would presumably make access to the spare tire an issue. I'm guessing it sits on top of the rails and you don't have access to use the entire length of the rail (just the ends and a section in the middle) when the loadspace mat is in the car. What about with the Land Rover rubber mat - is it the same arrangement?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, I have the loadspace rails. I have had them since August of 2013 and I find them to be very useful. I have the rubber mat from Range Rover. My husband simply trimmed the sides off of the mat and it works perfectly with the rails and provides full access. He did say that installing the rails was quite a job. I am a Mom so I am usually hauling something or other in the back and these are great at preventing things from rolling all around. They are very adjustable and can accommodate several different configurations and are easily removed if need be. As with anything to determine usefulness for you, it all depends on how you use your vehicle. Hope that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Is there any chance of getting your husband to expand on what was difficult about installing the rails? I haven't been able to locate installation instructions.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There was nothing particularly difficult about the install, but it the required disassembly/reassembly was much more than I expected. It seemed like the rails would just bolt in. Well, they do, but lots of stuff needs to come apart to get them bolted in. Range Rover says it takes 30 minutes to install and that is pretty accurate. It was about 105 degrees outside and 125 degrees in the car when I did the install, so that made it worse. The instructions are attached. Don't be intimidated by the install - there is nothing difficult, but it will take some time. Some of the trim removal tools are helpful: http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-auto-trim-and-molding-tool-set-67021.html

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2421612/rails.pdf

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - that was helpful. As you probably thought before you did the install, I had assumed the rails just bolted in place of the 4 tie downs that are already there. But the instructions don't look difficult - thanks for posting those.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks - that was helpful. As you probably thought before you did the install, I had assumed the rails just bolted in place of the 4 tie downs that are already there. But the instructions don't look difficult - thanks for posting those.
Exactly! I assumed it would be four bolts but it was a lot more work. A couple of the trim pieces were pretty hard to get out and back in. Lots of other things are unbolted/unscrewed/removed. Just stay organized to make sure you get everything gets back in place properly. My wife reminded me that it she thinks it took me more than 30 minutes. You will be fine.

By the way, the cargo system is great.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly! I assumed it would be four bolts but it was a lot more work. A couple of the trim pieces were pretty hard to get out and back in. Lots of other things are unbolted/unscrewed/removed. Just stay organized to make sure you get everything gets back in place properly. My wife reminded me that it she thinks it took me more than 30 minutes. You will be fine.

By the way, the cargo system is great.
I installed the rails yesterday. IMO, it definitely isn't a 30 minute job, at least not with the instructions that were provided. The main issue was that I feel the directions missed a very critical step. Step 5 says to remove the trim pieces that get replaced by the rails. The trim piece on the passenger's side came out fairly easily. The trim piece on the driver's side was a PITA to get out. It turns out that it's tightly interlocked with the side panel that's above it. The installation instructions should include removing those 2 side panels as part of the procedure as that would have saved a ton of frustration as I assumed I must be doing something stupid and fought with it for a while before I popped the panel off. On the passenger's side, the side panel blocked access to one of the nuts that has to be removed in step 8 (this removes the plastic piece that covers the steel bracket that gets replaced as part of the installation.

A few minor things went wrong:

When I removed the side panels mentioned above, the trim clips closest to the front of the vehicle broke on both of them. These can be replaced for very little cost, though I'm not sure how easy it will be to do so now that the cargo rails are installed.

The other was that one of the trim clips that had to come out as part of step 5 had already popped out and was rolling around loose when I started. It was rolling around on the trim that goes around the spare tire. My dad, who was "helping" :) me noticed it, but didn't stop lifting the trim piece out and the clip fell off and down into the hole where the battery is located, never to be seen again. Again, this should be an inexpensive part to replace.

Overall though, it's definitely a very reasonable DIY job and well worth it in the end.

I've got both the WeatherTech and Land Rover mats for the rear. I trimmed the Land Rover mat to fit between the cargo rails and am not going to trim the WeatherTech mat. This gives me the option to remove the tie downs and have a mat the covers the entire floor for times when that's appropriate. It turns out that the WeatherTech mat fits over the Land Rover mat and the rails with the tie down point installed fairly well, so I'll probably just leave everything in there most of the time.

I'll be ordering the load retention bars at some point, as I suspect I'll find them handy.

Thanks again for posting the instructions so I could see what I was getting myself into before making the purchase.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Glad to hear it went fairly well. It has been months since I installed mine so I had forgotten a few of the pitfalls, but no that you mention it, the driver's side trim was a real struggle. The rails are handy.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The first day we got our car, the loadspace rails were removed and tossed into into storage in our basement.

Maybe I should put them back; they seem they could be useful at times.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The first day we got our car, the loadspace rails were removed and tossed into into storage in our basement.

Maybe I should put them back; they seem they could be useful at times.
Did you order them? Or did they come with your truck? I asked my sales person and he said they were special order items.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts