Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There may be a 53" Snap On KRA roll cab coming into my future at a price that is merely painful. Big problem if I get it will be how to load it into the truck to bring it home. Mr Snap On says it weighs around 350 pounds. Last time I moved anything of that sort of weight I did my back in and put myself on light duties for over month. 61 is so not the new 21. More like the new 91 after my back went! Sharp reminder not to be lazy and try to do without handling gear 'cos its buried at the back of the garage.

Looks to me that the cabinet will travel best laid on its back. Given that I figure standing it up on end with the P38 at access height will put the end of the lower tailgate around the middle of the cabinet. Then a simple lift should let it pivot onto four or five rollers laid cross wise on the tailgate and floor so it pushes in easily. Chopping down a couple or thee broom handles looks good for rollers. Wiggle the rollers out and off home. I figure a "click, click climb up the pole" type high lift jack and lifting straps should handle the lifting bit. Maybe a fold up trestle or two for temporary parking whilst adjusting things half way would be handy. The getting out at home bit should be no problem as I have a high lift pallet jack which worked just fine extracting a Pindar Versatool cabinet which probably wasn't much lighter.

Advice, criticism and suggestions welcome.

Clive

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Sounds good to me. The only thing I would suggest is checking the condition of the straps that the lower tailgate hangs on when open. Mine looked fine but had rusted inside the plastic and the bearings that should allow the ends to turn had seized so the constant bending back and forth had weakened them further. Only discovered this when I was working on my daughters car and she sat on my tailgate and the straps broke. I could have told her to go on a diet but as she's a skinny ballet teacher, this didn't really apply.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I'd probably hire a trailer for a day- about £20.00 for a small one down these parts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gilbert
Thanks for the approval. Know all about those straps since Andy, who first got me into this P38 lark, had one go around halfway though opening the tail gate due to a combination of seized pivot and rusted cable. Now part of my yearly pre-MoT check.

Orangebean
Not really considered a trailer as it must be getting on for 30 years since I last hauled one, which didn't go well, and we don't have any hire places locally. Nooging around it looks like I can get a just big enough box type for £25 hire (and £300 cash deposit) from about 25 miles away. I figure a box would be better as being easier to see and its bound to be raining. Ordinary small ones are probably pretty much invisible behind a P38 anyway.
Food for thought but still happier with it on vehicle.

Clive

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
At least the drawers come out which will lower the handling weight a fair bit when humping it into the back of the car!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'd go with the trailer rental too. rent them all the time, from car transporters to move the cars, plant cage trailers for moving logs. The P38 is a king for towing.

Besides, it saves having to hump a heavy cabinet up high and also it saves the interior getting beaten up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts