RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and ladies! New poster here. I have a new Range Rover on order and will be my first experience towing with a Range Rover. I have a 2015 RRS in the garage already and previously owned a 2010 Range Rover. My question is why does the manual state you cannot use a load equalizing hitch? I will be towing a new travel trailer with the Range Rover and would like to use a load equalizing hitch with sway control but the manual says that's a no-no. Confused... Also, does anyone know if the electrical hook up already has a 7 pin connector or if I will need to purchase a new one?

Thanks!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
I'd be calling the dealer, or emailing JLR about the load equalizer.
The wiring should be a 7 pin RV type plug, it has been on them for years.

Martin

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've used a load equalizing hitch to tow a travel trailer with my '08 and had no problems at all. I had no idea we weren't supposed to use one but I felt like it made a big difference. The trailer was about 7,000 lbs and everything felt very steady and balanced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've used a load equalizing hitch to tow a travel trailer with my '08 and had no problems at all. I had no idea we weren't supposed to use one but I felt like it made a big difference. The trailer was about 7,000 lbs and everything felt very steady and balanced.
Yeah I plan on using a load equalizing hitch and also sway control anyways. I can't figure out why Land Rover would recommend against it and of course the dealer doesn't even know what a load equalizing hitch is!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I can't figure out why Land Rover would recommend against it
I'm no expert at this at all, but I had checked this out somewhat. I "believe" (mark my word), that Land Rover says no a load equalizing hitch, because of the air suspension. My understanding is, you want a load equalizing hitch because you don't want the car/truck to tilt backwards which will also shift the weight in a different way. If the air suspension keeps everything level, you don't need such a hitch. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm no expert at this at all, but I had checked this out somewhat. I "believe" (mark my word), that Land Rover says no a load equalizing hitch, because of the air suspension. My understanding is, you want a load equalizing hitch because you don't want the car/truck to tilt backwards which will also shift the weight in a different way. If the air suspension keeps everything level, you don't need such a hitch. Does that make sense?
It does make sense and could be the reason. However, no matter how level the car sits due to the air suspension adjusting, the air suspension can't change the fact that there could still be an excessive amount of weight on the rear of the car. I would imagine that a load-equalizing hitch could help you get around the disappointing max tongue weight of 550 lbs. A trailer with a weight near the max towing of 7716 lbs is likely to have a tongue weight greater than 550... unless you use a load equalizing hitch. I'm no expert either but that's how I think about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed that air suspension isn't a replacement for load equalizing hitch. Not sure why you can't mix air suspension and load equalizing hitch though - I believe folks often add air bags to their tow rigs in addition to using a load equalizing hitch to combat rear suspension sag. I don't think however that a load equalizing hitch allows you to go over the maximum tongue weight. I do agree that the towing specs on this truck are stupid. A 550 lb max tongue weight REALLY means your max trailer weight is 5500 lbs not 7700 as you are not going to find a trailer over 5500 lbs with only a 550 lb tongue weight.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 15 RRSC and tow with it. Be sure you have a tow package on your new rig. My old RR was a HSE 2006 and it towed ok, but my new RR tows like a champ. The 8 speed transmission really does a nice job. Of note, the new models do not need the adapter for LED Lights. Just plug in and you are set. Finally, none of the RRs come with a trailer brake module and to my knowledge, no wiring for it. I am using the wireless module from prodigy. Hope that helps. One more note, I use the Weigh Safe hitch that has the tongue weight scale on it.
IMG_0538_zpsdbza7nnb.jpg IMG_0540_zpsrstadlmh.jpg IMG_0539_zpsnlibxmpn.jpg

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
27 Posts
The air suspension will do the job for you. you don't need the Weight Dist. hitch.

I tow with a 2010 RRS SC and did a bunch of of similar research beforehand. I was originally searching for a Cayenne when I came across the weight Dist. hitch question and the tech answer was "no", b/c the Cayenne had air suspension and the load hitch could work against the air suspension and anti-sway tech.

The RR has amazing towing capacity. you said a 510lb tounge weight, but the RR hitch is rated to 710lbs. I tow a (dry) camper trailer at 5800lbs and a 600lb tongue weight with no problems and no wear/stress on the hitch. When the trailer is loaded with fresh water, food, supplies, etc., it's probably over 7000lbs. the max towing is rated at 7800 lbs, but I am very certain it's much more. the SC 5L engine is just incredible. Look up "The Fast Lane Truck 2015 Range Rover Towing" and you'll see an incredible demonstration of the power of this luxury SUV as a towing horse.

but there's more!
1) get a brake controller. $100 or less and super easy to install by yourself as the RR is factory fitted for one. (take panel off below steering column...feel around behind the column for the empty female wiring harness and plug it in there...5mins)

2) it's got some great anti-sway features with the tow package. I hit some high winds and had to suddenly change lanes. The trailer started swaying around and the brakes automatically straightened out the rear end. it was very impressive. My wife went into an immediate coma and didn't notice how great the truck worked!

3) If you're going to tow heavy, get a sleeve and ball that is rated for that. I bought a B&W adjustable hitch which raises the height of the ball. Most hitches at autoparts stores are not rated for more than 3-5klbs and the ball is probably rated for less. spend the $150-200 on a high quality hitch.

4) photos attached of my trailer and my RRS SC as well as some other jobs I've had to use it for. I get amazed looks from folks who see me hook up to heavy loads with it, but don't let the bling fool you, this rig can work.

20160430_085228.jpg 20160526_194419.jpg 20160415_140535.jpg 20160513_134056-1.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry it took so long to reply. The trailer is 7.5 x 14 tandem axle all aluminum. It is about 2700# empty and I usually have about 1500# load and the weigh safe hitch reads about 380 # tongue weight.
Nice rig Buggy Chief! How much does the trailer weigh loaded and what is your tongue weight?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts