RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought my new-to-me RRS SC and the previous owners had this pretty ugly fake wood-trim shift knob. Now that I have replaced it with a factory leather knob, I have decided to make a project out of this unfortunately ugly knob. I have sanded the fake wood off. I have the black plastic and the standard metal center insert with the round Range Rover lettering. I want to paint it and make it a unique but subtle piece for my interior. I have black leather with walnut wood, including the steering wheel. The exterior is Zermatt silver.

Now, I could paint the knob to match the exterior, but I don't think it will contrast enough with the metal inlay...

I could also paint it glossy black, but I kind of think that won't look too different from OEM...

I could paint it silver to match the exterior and then paint the metal glossy black...

Give me some ideas... I will post pictures of my progress/process.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like the last idea - silver with glossy black.

I'd love to know how this tuns out because i'm considering painting all the plastic (including radio plasic) a glossy black, but I'd rather someone else took the leap first! :lol:

Any pictures of the ugly knob? :wink:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The original pics of the knob are in the Zebrano wood trim thread floating around here...

Ok so it is sanded and currently looks like:

Colors schemes/suggestions anyone?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
I think you should make it transparent and insert a series of 6 blue LED lights into the middle so that when in Sportmode, depending on what gear you are in, it lights up that many lights on top of the gear shift knob!

Just a thought!!! `) `)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PJPR01 said:
I think you should make it transparent and insert a series of 6 blue LED lights into the middle so that when in Sportmode, depending on what gear you are in, it lights up that many lights on top of the gear shift knob!

Just a thought!!! `) `)
Haha no.. that would take a lot. Although an LED powered redline countdown or shift-time indicator would be great. I miss that from my SMG-tranny'ed E46 M3...

Phase II: Ready for paint.

First coat of silver has been applied.

·
Registered
521 Posts
MIAMIRRS said:
Well what would match the red shifter in my car?? We'll see how this turns out....

Nothing, but it would look bad ass. Can you put flames on it too?

EN FUEGO!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Hey, and make sure you don't get any paint on Mom's nice mohagany dining table!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
umbertob said:
Wow... That blue masking tape looks great! I think you should leave it like that. :D
One asks for blue LED lights, and all we get is blue tape...ah well...

Deep sigh!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Phase III:

Silver undercoat being painted. Still needs another couple coats.

Seeing what it would roughly look like if left all silver, I can safely say it definetly needs some contrast. Where to make it black? As far as a little design goes, I'm having trouble picking something that would be classy, subtle and not a total nightmare to actually do... There are tons of funny things I could put on there, but not really stuff that I would want on there as part of the car everyday...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
MIAMIRRS said:
Phase III:

Silver undercoat being painted. Still needs another couple coats.

Seeing what it would roughly look like if left all silver, I can safely say it definetly needs some contrast. Where to make it black? As far as a little design goes, I'm having trouble picking something that would be classy, subtle and not a total nightmare to actually do... There are tons of funny things I could put on there, but not really stuff that I would want on there as part of the car everyday...

I don't know why...but this picture reminds of the movie Clockwork Orange...so maybe you should paint the stick shift knob VESUVIUS ORANGE!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts