RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! I'm new here. Own a 2011 Range Rover Sport HSE and I've had this odd noise coming from the passenger rear. It sounds like a chirping or pumping sound accompanied by grinding on occasion. Sometimes it's more prominent than others, sometimes I can feel the grinding underneath my feet, sometimes it doesn't do it all. The type of road, speed, or terrain doesn't matter. There is no pattern to it. This off brand Rover shop can't seem to find the issue as it wouldn't duplicate in person 3 days in a row and I'm hesitant to take to the dealer for the same reason. Any help? Link below for video, please watch whole thing - multiple times, same noise, only 1 minute.

https://vimeo.com/313812461

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
have you visually inspected under the truck? you may have a worn rear prop shaft center bearing that has disintegrated rubber diaphragm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have you visually inspected under the truck? you may have a worn rear prop shaft center bearing that has disintegrated rubber diaphragm.
Thanks for your advice. Yes I have. Nothing noticeable. I’ve taken it to the dealership. They said they weren’t able to hear it on the video (clearly you can) and they couldn’t duplicate it. I’m pulling my hair out over this.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
HMM, the only thing I can think of would be the ABS/DSC kicking in on one of the passenger side tires. Try turning DSC off and see if you still have the noise. You may also want to invest in a GAP IID tool or similar that can read land rover codes to see if you have any pending issues.

EDIT: I use a GoPro on a magnetic mount to capture issues under the vehicle as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HMM, the only thing I can think of would be the ABS/DSC kicking in on one of the passenger side tires. Try turning DSC off and see if you still have the noise. You may also want to invest in a GAP IID tool or similar that can read land rover codes to see if you have any pending issues.

EDIT: I use a GoPro on a magnetic mount to capture issues under the vehicle as well.
That’s what I was thinking but turning it off doesn’t make a difference. The off brand shop I’m taking it to is going to do multiple tests with more than one set of chassis ears hoping to find the issue. Thanks for your help and input!

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
158 Posts
I cant really tell from the video but if you bought the car recently i would inspect the rear drive shaft. The front boot is prone to tearing and leaking its grease out, the rear Ujoint i have seen binding and also the center support bushing goes bad. When I bought mine they had cleaned under the car so i didnt catch it. They had actually removed and cleaned the grease out of the front CV joint so you would not see the leak. It started making a clattering squeaking noise. I replaced the CV with a new boot and all is good in the world again. (BTW the driveshaft is only available as a whole assy if that ends up being the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts