RangeRovers.net Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
206 Posts
Are you going to use the Beast once she is all done or hide it away in a garage??
Like most of us on here, I am just thrilled that she is now owned by someone with the time, know-how and the money to bring her back to her former glory. If she is the only one ever took to the States then you most certainly got a treasure there!

·
Banned
79 Posts
Thanks OldShep
Landrover only made 6 LINLEYS back in the day. Of the 6 made only one was Left Hand Drive and that is the vehicle I am fortunate to have. One of the remaining 5 Right Hand Drive vehicles was stolen in Wales within a week of being delivered to its owner and never recovered. Landrover Special Vehicles in UK have verified the authenticity of my vehicle.
I don't plan on making it a daily driver. It will be put in one of my garage spaces and I will take it to special events or Landrover shows. I have a Holland and Holland which I use as daily driver and after the LINLEY is complete I will search for a P38 Westminster to refurbish.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,485 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Was there any pictures of the finished restoration on this vehicle?

·
Banned
79 Posts
I rebuilt the engine changing all gaskets etc. New oil and water pumps. New thermostat and all water hoses. Rebuilt EAS with new air hoses. Brand new radiator. New accumulator. The original piano black wooden steering wheel with stainless steel surround ring and inserts will be refurbished and back in the vehicle by the end of October. Engine fired up yesterday for the first time since rebuild with no fault codes and idled for 30 minutes perfectly. I need to remove the EAS cover and refurbish it as its a bit of an eyesore in its current condition. I was able to source a brand new unused jack kit including the foam box. Vehicle is as good as new now. I will need to buy a brand new set of headlamps for $$$ because used ones would not have the sheen and clarity of new ones and would take away from the vehicles overall appearance when its complete. Chasis was completely sanded and Waxoiled. New steering damper, new drag link and track rod assemblies. New brakes. All exterior wheel arch lining plastic clips replaced. All exterior light bulbs replaced. All external moving parts greased. Plugs and leads replaced as was the coil pack.
The paint job is scheduled for the Spring and then it's ready for the road..... I will post photos when it's painted.... parts so far have cost $2789. I'm guessing that the paint job will be about $3000 to $4000 as it will need several coats and sanding between each coat to create the original finish. Labor cost has been zero as I did all the work myself....
As a side note, I could not have taken this project on without the help of this Forum. Many thanks to all those who have contributed to this forum and thereby have "unwillingly helped" in the restoration project.
I found Paul P38A articles especially helpful...

Attachments

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
The OP managed to get himself banned, so dont hold your breath for any more posts.

Martin

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
43 Posts
JMCLuimni Did you finish the project yet? Super interesting by the way!

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
JMC is no longer with us. He didn't feel the site guidelines should apply to him because he had a rare Rover.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.