RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Limo ride & fit/finish comparison of RR L405 vs MBenz S550

Just got back from a long business trip. In the Taipei leg, I was picked up at Taoyuan airport by an MB S550 to the hotel. It was a 40 minute ride and used the same on the way out.
When I got to JFK, my son picked me up with the L405.
Being new to the RR marque, I must say the RR passenger ride is much superior. Not to mention, the S550 interior is not up to par with the L405.
Sadly, this new S550 is no longer in the same fit, finish and ride as the previous generations.
Looking forward to comparing the L405 ride to the new BMW 7 series, should an opportunity rise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Limo ride & fit/finish comparison of RR L405 vs MBenz S5

I agree. Just got a 2013 SC and traded in my 2011 Jaguar XJ L SC. Also owned a S550. As much as I loved my XJ the ride in the Range Rover is MUCH smoother yet sophisticated. And its quieter then the XJ or S class. First time I dont have a Sedan anymore. in the past I owned top lux sedans andnolder Range Rovers for winter. Now, there is no point to have a Sedan as my RR is fast and smooth and good for winter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Agree thoroughly. It is getting very difficult to justify a sedan nowadays.
Note the current proliferation of "all terrain" models on euro sedans. ( I think they are basically 4 wheel drives with a higher clearance )

·
Registered
22 Posts

I have a 2014 S63 and 2016 HSE Td6. I have to disagree here. Fit and finish on benz is light years ahead. The plastic trim around bottom of seats on rover is cheap and doesn't exist on benz. The dash/electronics etc are also much nicer in S. as far as ride goes again I think the S class rides better either as a rear seat passenger or as a driver. Curved highway entrance ramps in the Rover constantly remind you that you are in an SUV.
I like both cars a lot, and would definitely get another rover but I don't think they compare in either of these catagories.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Hi, glad to hear different opinions. Would be boring if we'd all like the same cars and things. When I shopped for my Jaguar I compared the S class, Audi A8 and BMW. When it came to interior fit and finish, I thought the Audi would top them all. I liked the interior of the Jaguar for its design. Compared to the quality of the interior the Audi being a 10, I would rate the Jaguar on a 8-9 on fit and craftsmanship and a 10 for materials. I would see my Range Rover 5.0 SC about the same.
The S-class I thought of as a solid 9 in materials and a 9-10 in craftsmanship. The BMW as a 8 in boths.

Now when it comes to the ride I have to compare my old AMG CLS63 and my S550 here. The CLS was hard and definitely tuned to sport. So its not a real comparison. The S550 (not AMG not 63) simply was a bit noisy and the ride not as smooth as I wanted it to.
The BMW750 had a quieter and smoother ride.

What I mostly rated on my RR is the quietness and truly smooth suspension. Yet firm and not "a swaying boat" like my wife's Lexus GX470 is. Now, I am comparing 2012 and 2011 years cars here. I never drove a 2014 S -Class. The RR just feels a bit like a Bentley ride. Surely NOT a sport sedan.

Not sure if you can compare a TD6 here with the Gasoline versions. That 5L SC engine is truly smooth in the RR. So engine comparison w. Diesel is a mute point. In the end our impressions are all subjective to a lot of things. I admit...I still miss not having a High End Sedan though, moistly for looks and style, but I can't justify it as I rarely drive them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts