RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Been thinking hard about what I want to do with my RR ( I pick her up tomorrow :D ) and I find myself really drawn to the lifted look. Do any of you guys have an idea of how much I'd be looking at to get her lifted. If anyone has had theirs done and has some pics I would love to see them.

Tanks a lot

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
My Classic was lifted 3.5in. Using a Old Man Emu suspension, cost right around $1,000 total.

I have choosen the Terrafirma suspension for my Discovery 1 and like it alot more than the Old Man Emu, it was $600 for the complete kit with a steering stabilizer. Gave me 3in of lift.
http://www.lucky8llc.com/Products.asp?ProductID=2393

There are other options. Rover Tym Engineering makes a 5in lift for $1400. Their springs suck and they will screw you in a heartbeat. So I suggest the Terrafirma.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I just sold mine, used OME 764 in front, 781 in rear with rubberized isolators on top of rears, both sets d-Side from Expedition Exchange with the rear HD spring retainers top and bottom. Dual cardon drive shaft and longer OME shocks from Great Basin rovers, very necessary. Sway bar extensions for good measure.
A very good off road setup. About a 3.5" gain as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
1995 RRC LWB 5"+ Lift, i wouldn't go over 3 and spend money where it should go, such as lockers an axles.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Anything over 3in and you start to get vibes. 2in like Hunter said is your safest bet. Anything talled is a craps shoot.

·
Registered
533 Posts
A dual cardon drive shaft and caster correction bushings will eliminate all vibes under 5" or so, but you have to budget it in so it gets more expensive. $500 for these.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
LebaneseShowoff said:
1995 RRC LWB 5"+ Lift, i wouldn't go over 3 and spend money where it should go, such as lockers an axles.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uh oh, better chase off that Toyota.

·
Registered
21 Posts
rover4x4 said:
anything over 2" and youre in the land of driveline vibes etc.
I want your white turn signals :(, nice bull bar BTW :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
Anything over 3in and you start to get vibes. 2in like Hunter said is your safest bet. Anything talled is a craps shoot.
Wrong, driveline vibrations don't bother me actually, and i got the "full" lift kit with caster corrected swivel balls and also replaced the Roto Flex for an u-joint flange and driveshaft so the only vibrations from from my tires, and i'd love to know why my 5" lift makes it a crap shoot.

As for OP, do a 2 inch lift and if you see you need more, Rovertym engeneering has spring spacers to fit your needs

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
LebaneseShowoff said:
Doctor Leo said:
Wrong, driveline vibrations don't bother me actually, and i got the "full" lift kit with caster corrected swivel balls and also replaced the Roto Flex for an u-joint flange and driveshaft so the only vibrations from from my tires, and i'd love to know why my 5" lift makes it a crap shoot.

As for OP, do a 2 inch lift and if you see you need more, Rovertym engeneering has spring spacers to fit your needs

Anything other 3in will screw up your driveline angles. Do some research on the mainpage or anywhere else on the net about lifting a Classic above 3in. **** its on RoverTyms website

Rotoflex is only on 95 Classics. Since your a expert you should know that. His truck is a 90'.
'

Spring spacers are a bad deal if you dont have new coils already. Your stock springs are sagging and need replacing anyway. Springs need replacing every 7-10 years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
LebaneseShowoff said:
[quote="Doctor Leo":2hy4r921]Anything over 3in and you start to get vibes. 2in like Hunter said is your safest bet. Anything talled is a craps shoot.

Anything other 3in will screw up your driveline angles. Do some research on the mainpage or anywhere else on the net about lifting a Classic above 3in. Golly Gee Whiz its on RoverTyms website

Rotoflex is only on 95 Classics. Since your a expert you should know that. His truck is a 90'.
'

Spring spacers are a bad deal if you dont have new coils already. Your stock springs are sagging and need replacing anyway. Springs need replacing every 7-10 years.[/quote:2hy4r921]

I didn't say it wouldn't ruin the driveline angles, but Rovertym sells most of the stuff to correct the angles

I never said i was an expert, i don't feel driveline vibrations on my truck, or maybe i'm just used to it :?

And as for spring spacers i was saying for after he does his 2" lift and would like some more height, i am not recommending a 5" lift to anyone, as i said before i would have stayed with the 3" suspension the truck came with and spent the money on axles and lockers.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I saw where you were suggesting the spacers if he has new springs. I didnt want the OP to get the crazy idea of trying to get away with spacers and sagging springs. It wasnt a insult towards you :thumb:

The issue with driveline angles are once you start going above 3in you spend alot of money getting everything correct. As said before save that money and put it toward a locker or other mods.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
I saw where you were suggesting the spacers if he has new springs. I didnt want the OP to get the crazy idea of trying to get away with spacers and sagging springs. It wasnt a insult towards you :thumb:

The issue with driveline angles are once you start going above 3in you spend alot of money getting everything correct. As said before save that money and put it toward a locker or other mods.
Alright, good thing we got that clear, i didn't want to start making enemies right away, lol. And yes, i have spent bout $1000 just in getting the angles back to stock, it is better if he starts slow and works his way up as he needs more lift or w/e. i have flipped a disco due to the rear carrier giving out and a few of my friends have broken theirs too, a detroit locker or true track should be one of the first items in any Land Rover's mod list.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
If you stay with a 2in lift and 32in tires you wont have to worry about the rear carry going. If you lock your rig your going to have to beef up the axels otherwise if you break a axel the shaft will destroy the Detriot/TrueTrac. ARB airlockers dont seem too be as sensitive to this but they are also ungodly expensive.

A 2in lifted Classic on 32in shoes is a go anywhere rig. Just add a winch bumper and still protectors. Its not a rock crawler but it will do some serious trails.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
If you stay with a 2in lift and 32in tires you wont have to worry about the rear carry going. If you lock your rig your going to have to beef up the axels otherwise if you break a axel the shaft will destroy the Detriot/TrueTrac. ARB airlockers dont seem too be as sensitive to this but they are also ungodly expensive.

A 2in lifted Classic on 32in shoes is a go anywhere rig. Just add a winch bumper and still protectors. Its not a rock crawler but it will do some serious trails.
I've spoken to bill @ GBR many times and he's always recommended me the true track for the rear as i don't wheel too much and if you decide to go that way, you won't have to get axles, but i didn't listen and i got a detroit, i've already flipped one truck, i don't want to make this the 2nd.

And you're right about the 2" lift, with some long travel shocks will get you far, that is the advantage of a RRC over just about any 4x4 it is one of the best suspensions ever built, and it was engeneered in the 60's :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello! *waves*

guys... 1 question.. can i put Defender 90 2" Suspension Lift Kit
- Set of 4 2" Tough Dog Coil Springs
- Set of 4 2" long travel Pro Comp Gas Absorbers with protector boots
- Includes all poly bushings and hardware. Direct bolt on kit without
additional items.

on my rrc 93??

im new here... so... `8)

·
Registered
8 Posts
MR. Tom How bananas do you want to go?

2" and 32" tyres will be fun for a bit, then you'll have to spend again. I did it that way too. Thankfully 3.5" and 35" tyres are much more fun, but a LOT goes into it. If you want to go nuts, buy it built for pennies on the dollar. and keep your new rover a stock beauty!

Food for thought.
Thor

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
52 Posts
Before and after pics. I did this many years ago and I don't remember the cost. I bought the components and did it myself. After a lot of research at the time, I went with Old Man Emu.
This is the before pix:
[img]http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae109/Explorer0863/Rangie/d94b6d23.jpg[/img]
This is the after pix:
[img]http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae109/Explorer0863/Rangie/ee3911e4.jpg[/img]
And this one is enjoying the upgrades:
[img]http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae109/Explorer0863/Rangie/d774be87.jpg[/img]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts