RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My 2002 L322 has just developed a ticking noise coming from the top of the right hand bank of the engine. It's barely noticable from inside the car but quite loud from outside.

It speeds up when the engine revs. It doesn't appear to be having any impact on performance either.

My mechanic said it sounds like a sticking lifter and added some Forte Top End Treatment to the engine oil (http://www.autokits.co.uk/forte-top-end ... -p-40.html)

I've driven it for over 100 miles now and the noise is still there. I'm having the oil and filter changed tomorrow. Is there anything else I should be doing? Should I be worrying about this noise?

Many thanks,
Glenn

·
Registered
159 Posts
Did get a tappety noise a couple of years ago when the Land Rover oil filter broke down, once the system was cleaned out by flushing it a couple of times it was fine - had no problems since with it.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Small end bearing? Have a listen low down at the sump side to hear any different/deeper noise.

·
Registered
236 Posts
From your description sounds like a lifter leaking down. I had one go down a couple of years ago, performance did not suffer but the tapping got on my nerves so had them all changed.
Stewart.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SGW said:
From your description sounds like a lifter leaking down. I had one go down a couple of years ago, performance did not suffer but the tapping got on my nerves so had them all changed.
Stewart.
Mines in the shop today. Was it an expensive job? :pray:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am afraid so, about £1100.00

Stewart.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bugger! 8~ How much of that was labour?

Just got mine back from the shop.

I've had the oil changed, new oil filter, top end treatment and advanced formula motor flush. The tapping is still there but my mechanic is confident it's a sticking lifter. He suggests I take it for a run on the motorway to give it a chance of freeing itself. He's not sure what the costs of parts are for replacing the lifters but has indicated it's about a 5 maybe 6 hours worth of labour.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SOLVED!! Lifter noise?

Solved!

The tapping stopped today. So it looks like the engine flush did the trick! Which was nice! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Wish I'd tried that first.
Stewart.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: SOLVED!! Lifter noise?

Solved!

The tapping stopped today. So it looks like the engine flush did the trick! Which was nice! :mrgreen:
I have the same problem too, I was wondering how many miles you were at when you had this problem,when you did your engine flash and were there any problem after the flash. My miles around 126000 I have a 2003 RR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: SOLVED!! Lifter noise?

just brought a 2002 Vogue and i love it but like others i am now facing a noise/ticking from the engine top driver side, i have had both heads replaced, new oil, gaskets etc and it had no noise but over the weekend the noise has come back, i cant believe it. i thought i would try te engine flush as per the other guy said, will drive it up motor way and then change oil to see if this fixes it but i cant think what ells it could be with two recon heads on, an thoughts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts