RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spotted this at the Berkshire 4x4 Show last weekend, fabricated bumpers front and rear with side bars/sliders. Bottom airspring and shockmounts extended to give a lift with a body lift on top. Looks awsome I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
The heck with that......look at the mini in the background in the first picture....lol....

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Both look wicked, well spotted and great pics

Like the Rangie tube bumper set up, looks the part and easily fabricated vs the cost of some ridiculous
ARB bumbers

·
Registered
71 Posts
where was the step ladder ??? :think: :)
how the .... (insert appropriate word) would you get into that thing. :p
a bit extreme for my tastes but interesting none the less, reckon it would be a handful at speed and as goatwerks said "All I see are bad driveline angles and short U-joint life"

.................tasi

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
what do u joints and driveline angles have to do with anything?
IF the owner set it up right, he will have zero issues.
my wheeling rig is higher than that on 37's, and i have zero issues with vibrations, u joint failures, or anything else to do with the driveshafts. i can also set the cruise at 75mph and keep 1 finger on the wheel. perfectly safe and perfectly stable at speed. now high speed maneuver's are a little more thought out... :thumb:
so far as getting in goes, same again...my wheeling rig is higher and we all manage perfectly well.
think folks have to remember that it looks to be a wheeling rig, and not the luxury suv it started out as. whenever you change something to perform better 1 way, it normally comes with a trade off in another way.....

martin

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
I think Goat is correct to mention this. We all know you can't raise a vehicle without all sorts of knock-on effects.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Like the bars (who makes them and are they airbag compliant?), hate the lift. For all the effort, the articulation doesn't look that great though

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Can't say I like that.
The lift looks daft, a bit redneck to be honest. Would have
been better off modifying the wheelarches.
I've seen (pictures) of Icelandic P38's with 35" tyres and they do a much
better job.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Amazing that he's done it in purely mechanical terms but I'd hate to imagine how unstable that thing is. Would it pass the "Elk test", I very much doubt it. Any sudden unexpected steering input and he's a gonner.
Regards
Paul C

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Rich998a said:
I think Goat is correct to mention this. We all know you can't raise a vehicle without all sorts of knock-on effects.
knock on effects, yes.
breakage, not unless he bodged it.
has anyone posting in this thread seriously modified/lifted an offroad rig the right way? i dont mean a 2" body lift, i mean completely new suspension, steering, brakes, etc....
i said in my post that there is always a trade off when you modify a vehicle for 1 specific purpose, so i agree with it to a point.
anyone is welcome to get into my wheeling rig and go drive it 75 mph on the highway. stable as a rock with zero vibrations from bad u joint angles etc. steering is also better than the rangey, with the hydro assist and 1 ton tre's from start to finish.
so long as the WHOLE job was done when he lifted it, i feel it is silly to presume he is having all sorts of driveline problems with it. what is it they say about assuming????

martin

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I'm not having a go at you Martin. I know you've done it properly. It's silly to think people think they can lift their Land Rover by 2 inches just by buying a basic lifter kit from Sh1tpart. Then they come to me and ask why their propshaft has become a vibrating mess... :doh:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
i can only imagine rich.
my point was to give the guy the benefit of the doubt in that he has made sure the drive shaft angles are right, axles have been strengthened and re geared, and so on...i may be wrong, and it is just a poser rig, but i for one don't know that.
you want to see the stuff i get asked when someone jacks up a short wheelbase rig like a wrangler by 4", then cant drive it over 40mph mate.... :? then the fools try to drop the transfer case instead of getting a cv driveshaft and rewelding the suspension mounts....oh well. do it right or dont do it is my thinking, but there are more that want to half azz the job to look "cool" :snooty:

martin

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
leftlanetruckin said:
my point was to give the guy the benefit of the doubt in that he has made sure the drive shaft angles are right, axles have been strengthened and re geared, and so on...i may be wrong, and it is just a poser rig, but i for one don't know that.
I blame Lira for not providing better angles of photograph... :naughty: :lol:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Rich998a said:
I blame Lira for not providing better angles of photograph... :naughty: :lol:
agreed! :thumb:
he should have got under it to tell us what the deal was.

martin

·
Registered
537 Posts
Well all i can say is the chap gave it a good go in the arena in a time trail, think he came first or near, plus he gave it a very good go on the ramp. And no he didn't just use it as a poser machine.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This started a lively debate didn't it.

All I know is the bottom spring and shock mounts where extended either 3 or 4 inches, it retains the air springs but uses Arnott 3 bags. I think wide angle prop joints or maybe double cardon joints were used but I can't swear to it.

The body has also been lifted either 3 or 4 inches, 3 I think so it looks higher than just from a suspension lift.

The bumpers and side bars were all fabricated locally I was told, by someone with a good eye for a line in my book.

I agree that I wouldn't like to drive it down the motorway at 70 plus to be honest but I like the look of the thing and for an off road toy I think it would be good fun, no so much fun where headroom is limited though, like through wooded areas for example. I saw it go round the arena too on the Saturday and it seemed to perform well though I think the lift hasn't improved articulation that much over standard Arnott3 installation but has allowed for 35" tyre fitment.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts