RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. I'm in a bit of a pickle here.

As I go about modifying my truck (2000 P38), I need to decide on the route I take and what changes I make first. I decided that first thing I do is get my hands on some proper tires. Originally, I was going to go for 33"s, but I have been told that a set of 32"s will do just fine. With my tires, I was going to put in a 3" lift, going with OME's and new shocks. I wanted 3 because I read up that it was the most I could do without affecting any angles. However, upon speaking with some folks, I was told that 2" would be a better bet, as 3" might actually affect angles. I also had the car over at the dealer's the other day to sort out some paperwork and electric issues, and the mechanic there (who's a friend, and wasn't trying to jip me), suggested that maybe even 2" might be pushing it. I originally thought that 3" with a set of 33's was fine, but now I'm leaning towards 2" with a set of 32's, as the smaller tires might give me a little better articulation when they have to snug up into the wheel wells. I'm not sure who I should be listening to :?

Unfortunately however, I won't be able to necessarily add all the armor (plates, bumpers, etc) and accessories (winch) right away, and as such, the springs I pick up will give me a bigger lift at the beginning than I want. For example, if I want the end result to be a 2" lift, including all the armor and accessories (which I have researched at Alan's site over at Rock Rover), the springs I pick up will give me too big of a lift at the get go, before I add all the doo-dads and plates/guards.

Maybe further down the line I'll consider tinkering with angles, new drive shafts, brake lines, etc. But with my coils that I have right now, do you think I could get away with putting the 32's and a pair of sliders on to begin with, and then throw the new springs/shocks in when I slap on all the other stuff?

Thanks,

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

Don´t forget to post pictures of the on going work :wink:

Regards,

·
Registered
170 Posts
You could go with a cheap pair of 2" lift spacers now, fit your 32" tires, and when you add all your armor/bumpers etc., you could buy the spring/shock combo you want. Then sell the lift spacers.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Someone mention sliders and bumpers? :lol:

Martin

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just got a 3" OME kit from Lucky8 that had the springs, shocks, and brackets installed on my truck this week. I am headed up north to Nantcuket tomorrow morning and I was told that I wouldn't need anything new for this kit like brake lines or driveshafts. Well the kit was installed and my mechanic suggested that i get extended brake lines so I had some over nighted by Atlantic British and installed today. There is some noise from the driveshaft which will need to be addressed when I return. The 3" kit by OME is great and makes the ride tight, but there will be some other things that need to be addressed. I have also read that 33's will fit nicely in the wheel wells, but my mechanic who I trust very must says that 32's might be the best bet. I dont want to hi-jack the thread but, I was wondering which tire to go for: the 285/65r18's (33's) or 275/65r18's? (32's). Anyways, if you have any questions on the kit let me know.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

Pictures :)

Regards

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 33's (285/65/18) with about 3.5" front, 4" rear from OME 764, 763 springs respectively. I have no driveline or brake line problems, although I did modify the brake line mounts to accommodate the lift. I have had countless different height lifts (via spring spacers) both front and rear on this vehicle, as well as 5 different tire sizes.

Although I have experienced no driveline problems, Alan Bates (rockrover.com) reports a front driveshaft vibration using the same springs. It should be noted, however, that he used different (3/4 inch higher) spring seats than I did. Maybe that was enough to cause the driveshaft vibes. On the other hand, his bumper is heavier than mine... It's a bit of a gamble with that much lift. Alan corrected his vibration with a double-cardon driveshaft.

The other issue that you may have with lifts above 2 or so inches is a loss of caster, resulting in steering wander. This can range from slightly noticeable to downright dangerous. The higher you go, the more caster that you'll lose. It can be mitigated in a few different ways, such as installing a Detroit Truetrac limited slip front differential (thanks again Alan), or re-mounting your radius arms lower on the frame. Neither of these are cheap, unless you are an accomplished fabricator and can handle the radius arm mounts on your own.

Even with these issues, you will have to trim your front fenders with 33's. Not metal trimming, but fairly extensive plastic trimming, both fore and aft of the wheel, including folding the body seam located behind the front wheel, hidden by the fender liner.

In the end, unless you are undaunted by these issues, I agree with others who have recommended a 32 inch tire. Another tire that you could consider is a 286/60/18. They work out to about 31 1/2 inches in diameter (or about what a "32" typically is), and look great with a 2 to 3 inch lift. There are two issues to be aware of with these and bigger tires. First, you'll need to adjust your steering stops to keep the tires from hitting your radius arms. Second, AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, your vehicle will not be drivable on the bump stops in the event of an EAS failure.

In the front, I'm confident that you could go with a 2 1/2 inch lift without trouble (loss of caster notwithstanding); 3 is pushing things.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here's my setup. It was already converted to coils when I bought it. I put my rear coils up front, and added the rear coils from a Disco II to the back on mine. Then I added some 2" spacers from a Classic. Tires are 285/65/16 (33"s). There is a lil bit of rub on the passenger side but that's because I haven't put on an adjustable track rod yet. Don't forget to add this piece. Other than that, I'm happy with it, but the ride is harsher.

My lil navigator is checking out the new tires, LOL

How it all began,

·
Registered
8 Posts
nickm347 said:
Cort

Any pictures of your setup?
You bet. I'll post them soon; I have to take fresh pictures with the latest changes, and then figure out how to post them. I'll try to get to that later today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here are a few pictures of my set up. I have more detailed pictures of the specific suspension (and other) mods as well, and I'd be happy to post them as well as explain what I did to make the changes if anyone is interested.

[attachment=0:38okzfl9]sell 011 (Small).jpg[/attachment:38okzfl9][attachment=1:38okzfl9]sell 008 (Small).jpg[/attachment:38okzfl9][attachment=2:38okzfl9]sell 004 (Small).jpg[/attachment:38okzfl9]

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cort, your truck looks great. What is the measurement from the top of your wheel arch to the center of your wheel?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,
Cort, can you explain details and show a little more? Your truck looks great..

Regards,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks to you both. CscLMM, the measurement front from ground to highest point on wheel well is 37 inches, and the rear is 38. I'll have to measure to the hub for you. I'll do that later today, and try to post some more details for you both this evening.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Got new Nitto Terra Grapplers in LT275/65r18 put on today. They measure out to be a little over 32". They fit great and look great!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congratulations! I had that size on mine, too and liked it. I'd love to see some pictures. --By the way, my measurement from hub to fender is 22.5 rear, 21.5 front. I'm still trying to find an appropriate time to post more details and pics of my lift project; thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ytt105 said:
Cort

Details of your front bumper tow hooks and winch mount would be fantastic!
You bet; I'm happy to. I'll find the proper topic and get that done within a few days and let you know where I put that, okay?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts