RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Another lurker here needing to decide...buy out my 2006 X5 4.4 lease (expires the first week in Nov) or move up to a RRS.

Spouse likes the RR styling and I am warming up to it. :shock:

Spoke with a local dealer about a preowned vehicle and I would like to verify some of his statements.

True or False:

1. There is no difference between the 2006-2008 models.

2. It would be best to buy a low mileage 2007 because the factory warranty is still active.

3. The cost of a low mileage 2006 with an extended warranty would be about the same as a 2007.

4. Heated steering wheel (love this option on the X5) is only available on the 09s.

5.Ignore the window sticker mileage...expect to get 18 mpg with mostly highway driving.

6. The seats are made of memory foam (like the stuff used in an expensive mattress)

He was not sure about the drivers lumbar adjustments. I worked the switch for lumbar in out but is it possible to position it up and down?

Has anyone here switched from a 2006 X5 4.4 to the RRS? The engine HP is about the same but the Sport weighs more.

Is this noticeable at highway speeds?

I recall a survey...Landrover is the the most sought after vehicle in the UK.

I was there many times on business and never saw one on the streets of London or the Motorways.

However I did see several Jeep Grand Cherokees :roll:

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
1,169 Posts
1. engine/suspension they're the same. it's really a bunch of options that started to become standard or as part of the LUX package. i think one touch up/down on the windows is probably the biggest thing you won't find on the 06 that you'll have on the later ones.
http://rangerovers.net/rrsport.html#modelyear

2. true. you wouldn't have much time left on a low mileage 06 warranty. um...wouldn't a low mileage 08/09 also be under warranty? :think:

3. the LR assured extended warranty has nearly doubled so i don't think too many are going for that option. i certainly wouldn't pay to add it to an 06 regardless of the mileage. better off seeking someone other than LR assured or going with a newer model that's still under new car warranty.

4. true

5. i suppose. i think PJPR01 does mostly highway driving and it sickens me his brakes have lasted him so long LOL. i've done mostly a combo of street/highway driving and i'm getting about 14.5mpg. that's the computer reading which is likely off since i run 18s full time.

6. dunno. lumbar doesn't position up/down - at least it doesn't on my 06.

i haven't made the switch but i've heard great things about the X5 at highway speeds. from what i recall, the X5 seemed to be favorable, but the RRS ain't a clunker either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Phil !

To clarify the warranty statement...looking to keep the payments close to my existing X5 lease. ($600). Price should be approx $40K with about $6K down and 2.9% financing.

They have a 25Kmi 2007 with the LUX package priced at $39.9K.

At this time there are no preowned 2008s near that price point.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Having owned both cars, an X5 for 130K miles and currently the HSE version RRS which has 26K on it, I'll add some thoughts to Phil's.

If your X5 has been a good car and you're driving mostly on paved roads to the mall, or the occasional dirt road, keep it---if it makes financial sense to do so. If you want a significantly more capable vehicle off-road get the RRS. IMO people who only drive the RRS on the road are wasting 1/2 the car.

1. RRS seats are better than the X5. The X5 is like sitting on a park bench.
2. X5 feels faster and more nimble than the RRS, in part (I think) due to throttle tip-in being more abrupt on the X5.
3. The fun bag air suspension on the RRS gives it a jigglier ride on broken up pavement.
4. The auto trans in the RRS is the smoothest shifting transmission I've ever driven, better than the X5's.
5. Steering is a bit heavier in the RRS.

So, what would I buy if I had 60 large burning a hole in my pocket? I would buy the RRS. My wife would rather have the X5.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gooseyloosey said:
Having owned both cars, an X5 for 130K miles and currently the HSE version RRS which has 26K on it, I'll add some thoughts to Phil's.

If your X5 has been a good car and you're driving mostly on paved roads to the mall, or the occasional dirt road, keep it---if it makes financial sense to do so. If you want a significantly more capable vehicle off-road get the RRS. IMO people who only drive the RRS on the road are wasting 1/2 the car.

1. RRS seats are better than the X5. The X5 is like sitting on a park bench.
2. X5 feels faster and more nimble than the RRS, in part (I think) due to throttle tip-in being more abrupt on the X5.
3. The fun bag air suspension on the RRS gives it a jigglier ride on broken up pavement.
4. The auto trans in the RRS is the smoothest shifting transmission I've ever driven, better than the X5's.
5. Steering is a bit heavier in the RRS.

So, what would I buy if I had 60 large burning a hole in my pocket? I would buy the RRS. My wife would rather have the X5.
Great !!

This is the info needed to help with a decision.

The X5 with 30K mi has been trouble free but it is a soccer mom car....not the same image as the RRS. IMO
Aside from the cold weather package and heated steering wheel it is a no option truck. The audio sucks and the I drive is stone age technology.

I live on a private lane...about 200' below the top of a mountain and 1 mi from a paved highway. The road is gravel and can be ice covered for extended periods, due to shading from the trees. The BMW X drive has been very effective climbing the grade, with the stock all seaon tires.

Will the RRS be as capable with these conditions?

Living on a mountain many of the forum members probably have visons of going off road but most of the land around here is privately owned....no can do.lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re #2: Do you mean maintenance? LR stopped providing oil changes (and not sure what else) after 2007. 06 & 07 Sports are covered until 50k or some length of time.

I easily knock down 18 mpg with about 70% hwy driving at speeds of 70 - 80 mph.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fixthedoor said:
Re #2: Do you mean maintenance? LR stopped providing oil changes (and not sure what else) after 2007. 06 & 07 Sports are covered until 50k or some length of time.

I easily knock down 18 mpg with about 70% hwy driving at speeds of 70 - 80 mph.
The sales guy said that maintenance was included on a 2007 and LR's program was the same as BMW's. Oil is changed when all the green bars are out (indicator below the speedometer) or every 12mo whichever occurs first? Brake system is flushed at 24 mo.

Does this sound right?

It takes about 15K mi. for the all the bars to extinguish.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Land Rover North America's free scheduled maintenance program on 06-08s (being phased out) pays for the first 6 services, performed every 6 mos. or 7500 miles, whichever occurs first. There is a service indicator reminder in the RRS' instrument cluster that briefly appears when you start up the car as your next scheduled service is approaching. Besides the longer service intervals, I think the BMW program is more comprehensive since it also pays for wear and tear items such as brake pads and rotors, wiper blades, etc., unlike Land Rover where those parts are on your dime. Here is the maintenance log for 06/08s: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums ... hedule.pdf

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had an 06, and now have an 08. The only cosmetic difference between them is the darker walnut wood inside. There are few other differences of any note. The side mirrors can be folded in automatically on the 08; not so on the 06. The speedometer is slightly smaller, because the little info screen on the dash is slightly larger. There are other nuances, none too noticeable, except that there is a hack that allowed you to use the navigation while in motion on the 06, which does not work on the 08 and is very, very annoying.

I drive mostly highway and country roads to and from a weekend house. The computer shows about 18.5 MPG, which is slightly better than I averaged in the 06 over 30 months.

I am quite surprised you didn't see many RRS in London. They are very prevalent. I was at a wedding in the UK in July and the parking lot looked like a LR dealer.

You are not likely to find 08 models coming off leases yet, but should within a few months. Don't know how much time you have. The residual on 24 month, 10.5K mile leases in 2008 were about $43-45K, so the price likely will be somewhat higher than your example.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nyc_sport said:
I drive mostly highway and country roads to and from a weekend house. The computer shows about 18.5 MPG, which is slightly better than I averaged in the 06 over 30 months.

I am quite surprised you didn't see many RRS in London. They are very prevalent. I was at a wedding in the UK in July and the parking lot looked like a LR dealer.

You are not likely to find 08 models coming off leases yet, but should within a few months. Don't know how much time you have. The residual on 24 month, 10.5K mile leases in 2008 were about $43-45K, so the price likely will be somewhat higher than your example.
Thanks for the lead on 2008 lease returns.

I wonder how they will price these...a local dealer has 24 new 2009s discounted $10 to $12 K. $6K added to the price of a 2008 lease return gets you a brand new 2009 LRS.

Our last London stay was at a hotel in Chelsea. I lost count of the Lambo Murcielago (dirty so they were daily drivers) and Porsche Cayenne turbo Limos but not a single LR.

Thinking they are garage queens that come out for special occasions only.

Petrol at $6/gal would explain why I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts