RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a Uk 2001 p38 that I’m moving to Spain. Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to adjust the bean to allow the car to pass the ITV (spanish MOT). Sticking those stickers on glass would cause the car to fail the ITV and to replace the set with LHD headlights it’s quite expensive.

Any ideas?

Best regards, Carl

·
Administrator
27,799 Posts
Surely LHD P38 headlamps can't be too expensive from a breaker. They are all interchangeable from 1995-2002. Earlier GEMS housings may not have your black pattern around the reflectors, but they are dirt cheap over here and will at least get you through ITV.

·
Super Moderator
2,066 Posts
No you can't adjust them as the beam pattern is formed by the lens, so changing them is the only way. You may be lucky to find a car in a breakers but there never were many P38s in Spain anyway so the chances of finding one are pretty slim. Agree that they are very expensive to buy new too. Before anyone suggests getting someone on the forum to pick you up a dirt cheap pair in the US and sending them over, I suspect ones for the US market will be different again and won't be E marked so wouldn't be accepted. A friend in France has gone through the same process to put a UK car onto French registration. He managed to borrow a pair of lights from a LHD car, fitted them for the test, then swapped back. Since then he has just masked the lights to give a flat cut off on dip just the same as when I go over there in my RHD car. He's found the test for registration purposes is much stricter than the normal routine test. He also had to remove his LPG conversion for the test too as the French authorities wouldn't recognise his UKLPG installation certificate (that's now been refitted too).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Richard and RRRoadHall,
I can source a pair for about £340, but as you say Richard there aren’t too many in Spain .

Regards, Carl

·
Super Moderator
2,066 Posts
As I said, US headlights may not be E marked. If someone can check that would open up another option. Most US headlights I have had dealings with have a flat cut off on dip too so wouldn't be acceptable in Europe if that is the case.

Just checked eBay.com in the US and from pictures on there, US headlights do not appear to have the E marking on the lens, and a $360 each from Miami British, new ones are a lot more expensive over there than in Europe.

·
Registered
440 Posts
EBay.es and type in P38 range rover luz, looks like there is at least one being broken currently...

·
Administrator
27,799 Posts
Ebay/US is not an option for you. shipping would be prohibitive for the seller and you. Search eBay in your wide general region for LHD P38 assemblies regardless of year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts