RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
151 Posts
All
I’ve already read all the threads with respect to the dreaded P38 door latch bugs. I am getting the LH Drivers door ajar message. So I removed the door card and was able to get the latch loose but just can’t get the two rods off the assembly. Tried for about an hour before quitting. Any advice on how to get my two rods off?

·
Super Moderator
2,063 Posts
What two rods? There's the rod that comes from the door handle that is held in place with a simple plastic clip, rotate the clip and the rod drops out of the hole. There's the cable from the interior door handle that unclips from the latch and then pulls out when you twist it round and then there's the rod to the sill lock button which I always leave attached to the latch and take it out with that still connected.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I loosen the door handle and remove the easy rods then tip it forward /back and get the last two. 2x now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. Richard, there are three silver metal rods attached to the latch assembly. The One attached with a red clip I was able to easily remove. However, the one attached to the sill tab and other rod attached to other side of the assemble were the two I cannot maneuver off.

·
Super Moderator
2,063 Posts
Sill tab one can be left attached to the latch, the button on the top just unscrews. The one from the lock mechanism (which I'd forgotten about) can be levered out with a screwdriver although as xrav22 says, slackening the handle and pulling it out a bit will let you see how it is held in place.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went back at it last night. Of course I broke the 20 year old green snap attacher for the door handle cable. Alas, I decided to just order a new door latch and green snap from AB. When I remove the offending door latch I will attempt to clean it up and get it working and keep as a spare.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the new door latch from AB ($289) on Friday. Got up early Saturday, before my boys’s 4 baseball games, and took the door apart again. I had to trim the new latch but it went in without much trouble. Buttoned it up and no more “door open” light.

I’m still chasing down the Fuse 20 issue. I took the passenger side door runner off to expose the loom coming from the fuse box. Observed that two of the grounds were suffiently rusty so I cleaned them up and installed a new fuse. The fuse did not blow and the drivers seat worked. Boy was I smug. Giggeled and patted myself on the back. Loaded the boys into fully functioning, no warning light, P38 and proudly rolled out to the first game. No so fast, about ten minutes into the drive Fuse 20 blew. Deflated, I vowed to chase down this sneaky gremlin...next week end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts