RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if someone can help me with a temporary fix?

It just started yesterday and I suspect my door latch has gone bad. At night the interior light will not shut off which is problematic driving at the moment. I cannot get at it to replace the latch at the moment, it is still winter in Minnesota in an unheated garage. I did a search and found a thread containing the problem like mine but do not see a solid blue wire leading to the latch to disable the system temporarily. Is my loom different?

Thanks in advance.

David

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/282113-anyone-know-how-disable-doorlock-switch.html

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,199 Posts
Purple/White wire is the colour of the door ajar wire in the door loom from the latch to the outstation.

Disconnecting that should tell it that the door is closed all the time.

Hope this helps,
Marty

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are the MAN!

And within 10 minutes of asking I have a temporary fix; worked just as you said.

So, that leads me into what to do about the latch. What is your opinion: buy new, breaker yard, or fix this one??

Thanks again, I owe you a pint.

David

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have used
http://www.roverlandparts.com/
with much success, but I also used ebay when the guy has a great story of how good the latch was. I have a 1997 WITHOUT pigtail.
I found some new with pigtail. I have changed the drivers door 2x and the right rear for the same door open problem.
Which lock is it they are a bit different in taking them apart.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,199 Posts
If you are planning on keeping the RR for the forseeable future... go new. I refurbish them in the UK, and it is a fiddly task replacing the microswitches in the latch usually.

Though if you have one of the earliest version latches (where the connectors in the loom plug into moulded sockets on the latch) then they are a lot easier, as all 3 microswitches are separate, (in the case of drivers door... 2 in the passenger door, and only one in each of the rear doors) - so it could be possible to just get some replacement switches and swap them out yourself...

I wouldn't recommend second-hand only as you never know if they've ever been replaced, and then you're replacing 20+yr old parts (in your case with a '97) with other 20yr old parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts