RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. We have a Range Rover Sport 2005. Can anyone advise on how to go about checking the level of oil in the gear box, and also if necessary, how to top it up. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
For a 2006, from what I've read, its a PITA in to check since its a sealed transmission. Pretty much need to get underneath the car, remove the head shield, then remove the filler plug and then add fluid gradually till a small thread of oil drains out.

Let me know if you are still interested, I can send you the detailed instructions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
LoubyLou said:
Hi. We have a Range Rover Sport 2005. Can anyone advise on how to go about checking the level of oil in the gear box, and also if necessary, how to top it up. Cheers.

Lou,

First, the vehicle has to be completely cold. (sit overnight) On a flat level surface. Access check/fill plug (R/H rear of transmission) Above pan (sump) Start the vehicle, select reverse gear (5 seconds) select drive (5 seconds) return to park. With vehicle running, remove check/fill plug. Fluid should trickle out. If it pours out it's overfull, if nothing comes out its low. fill through same hole until it trickles out. I would then drive the vehicle and recheck again the following day. Make sure you use the factory specified fluid and NOTHING else. ibis1 ;)

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Not sure on a 2005 but for a 2006 which I assume is the same, engine should not be cold, not sure if it makes a difference. The manual states the vehicle should be slightly warmed up, between 30-50 degree.

I've attached the directions to check for the fluid level. If you are going through all that work and since your have a 2005, might as well drain the oil and put new fluid.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
Not sure on a 2005 but for a 2006 which I assume is the same, engine should not be cold, not sure if it makes a difference. The manual states the vehicle should be slightly warmed up, between 30-50 degree.

I've attached the directions to check for the fluid level. If you are going through all that work and since your have a 2005, might as well drain the oil and put new fluid.
Frisco,
That is the NAS spec. They want it "below" 30 Cell or 86 Far to start the check. The vehicle will exceed that temp very quickly, unless your in a cold climate in the winter time. ibis1 ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow guys, thanks so much to both of you. Really appreciate your help, so useful. Just one more thing! - how do you know when the temperature of the fluid is between 30 and 50 degrees? Cheers, Lou

1 - 7 of 7 Posts