RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about the last thread, i don't post that many photos and didn't know about photo buckets new policy. Hopefully it works this time. I wanted to develop a OEM styled bumper for the L320 particularly the older style but with a newer look. I started this feb 2018 with the renders, I'm curious to see what you guys think? The last two photos are renders of the projected final product.

I just wanted to share the screen saver i made for the iPad in the truck
sig by John Deltoro, on Flickr

IMG_6447 by John Deltoro, on Flickr

Range Rover Sport Model2 by John Deltoro, on Flickr

Range Rover Sport Model_Scene 1 by John Deltoro, on Flickr

RRSSVR3 copy by John Deltoro, on Flickr

IMG_6012svr-2 by John Deltoro, on Flickr

IMG_6567-2 by John Deltoro, on Flickr

IMG_6572-2 by John Deltoro, on Flickr

·
LEGACY VENDOR
801 Posts
As a guy who has done major surgery on my RRS, I approve of this thread! I think that's very nice looking, and would consider doing that to mine as well, as I'm not totally in love with my fiberglass Overfinch front bumper (particularly since a major chunk of ice did some damage to mine on the freeway :cry:).

Is that a genuine SVR bumper?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Fine as long as you have no intention to ever go off-road.
I freely admit to being wierd though. I completely fail to understand why anyone with a need for an on-road-only car would choose a vehicle primarily designed to be great offroad, with all the associated extra cost/weight/lower MPG compromises from the extra fitted equipment that you're never going to need/use. Call me strange but I also really don't understand why anyone would buy such a capable vehicle then fit low trim, oversize rims etc that actively prevent it from performing the most exceptional part of its intended design/use. But like I say, I'm kinda wierd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok can I be honest? Nope, it really looks like it has just been glued on. Maybe it will look a bit more integrated once it is painted? It has to much droop at the front and the sides don't follow the contour from the wheel arch like the original front bumper did and rear bumper does. Also, as already said, the first time you go offroad, you are going to lose a piece of bodywork! Good news is the side steps will also be in the firing line. I guess if this is strictly a flat tarmac cruiser it may be ok.... Sorry, I know some like it but not me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think the concept is great. You actually had me looking back to make sure there wasn’t an L320 SVR concept that I didn’t know about. Bravo sir.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As a guy who has done major surgery on my RRS, I approve of this thread! I think that's very nice looking, and would consider doing that to mine as well, as I'm not totally in love with my fiberglass Overfinch front bumper (particularly since a major chunk of ice did some damage to mine on the freeway :cry:).

Is that a genuine SVR bumper?
Thanks! Yes it is a genuine SVR. I am having so much trouble trying to get the lower section of the bumper.

Fine as long as you have no intention to ever go off-road.
I freely admit to being wierd though. I completely fail to understand why anyone with a need for an on-road-only car would choose a vehicle primarily designed to be great offroad, with all the associated extra cost/weight/lower MPG compromises from the extra fitted equipment that you're never going to need/use. Call me strange but I also really don't understand why anyone would buy such a capable vehicle then fit low trim, oversize rims etc that actively prevent it from performing the most exceptional part of its intended design/use. But like I say, I'm kinda wierd.
Everyone has their own taste and you're totally entitled to yours. You are not wierd. The lowest part of the bumper starts where the stock bumper's wind deflectors start it just looks a lot lower because the nose is deeper. I understand i won't be climbing supersharp inclines. But for anything i get challenged with on a day to day nothing "off-road mode" cannot accomplish. Thanks for the comment though & Cheers

In response to the other comments:

Thanks fellas for the honest opinions. I really like the look of the Urban Automotive series of Range Rovers however sometimes they are a bit too much for the everyday person. I wanted to make something similar in taste with a little more Oem style and thats what led me to where i am. I havent fused the parts together yet, I was looking at trying to raise the nose. But as you raise it the top center gets to a point where it gets too thin and looks off. I actually really like the look how it is now, its just really missing the rear (that will be coming next week).
Just wanted to share a pic of it at drive height. I'm still missing the lower center, i have it on order and the parts guy said i should have it by next week... So I'm assuming ill get it in 3 weeks ha

IMG_6944 by John Deltoro, on Flickr

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In case you're wondering it's still *in progress*. It will look one bumper when it is finished. haha

·
LEGACY VENDOR
801 Posts
In case you're wondering it's still *in progress*. It will look one bumper when it is finished. haha
When I fabricated my Overfinch kit (see my thread on it), I used aluminum rivets to fasten the fiberglass bumper skins to the ABS bumpers, and I didn't adequately protect them on the backside by sealing them over. That has resulted in oxidation of that aluminum, and subtle bubbling appearing in my paintwork as a result; something I'm going to eventually have to redo. I see you've used screws to hold your cuts/inserts together as you've formed the SVR skin to the contours of the RRS fenders. I risk telling you something you already know, but I'll do it anyway: make sure that metal is out of the skin before finishing; don't just grind them to recess and skin over them; it may likely bubble.

Looks great!

If you can't find that lower SVR part, you can probably fabricate it from some donor plastic, or perhaps lay a carbon fiber piece.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It looks like it sticks out maybe 2" further out than the headlight, which my eye says is too much. There's already a elegant curve downward that the front of the hood starts, and especially because the headlight and grille perfectly continue it, it makes it a very strong design line to just get away from. The bumper would look much better integrated if (when viewing from side on as your pics), it more closely followed or at least partially continued/faded out that line somehow, rather than have your eye suddenly transition from such a strong, stylish curve to a hard angle of an almost horizontal shelf and a fairly obviously non-functional bulge that came from nowhere. I think exactly those kinds of inconsistencies can make even expensive/well-known after-market and OEM bodykits look worse than stock, and sometimes even ghetto.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It looks like it sticks out maybe 2" further out than the headlight, which my eye says is too much. There's already a elegant curve downward that the front of the hood starts, and especially because the headlight and grille perfectly continue it, it makes it a very strong design line to just get away from. The bumper would look much better integrated if (when viewing from side on as your pics), it more closely followed or at least partially continued/faded out that line somehow, rather than have your eye suddenly transition from such a strong, stylish curve to a hard angle of an almost horizontal shelf and a fairly obviously non-functional bulge that came from nowhere. I think exactly those kinds of inconsistencies can make even expensive/well-known after-market and OEM bodykits look worse than stock, and sometimes even ghetto.
Totally agree, which part are you talking about? This part? Reason i ask is because thats the only part that sticks out further than stock.

41267511101_d410d31bea_k copy by John Deltoro, on Flickr

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
126 Posts
I mean this looks way too wide to me: 41304693631_ce36dc5cb7_k.jpg

Excuse the hacky edit as I just quickly grabbed and dragged an area, then just rounded the top edge of the bumper a little to more continue the tangent already strongly suggested by the front of the bonnet and the lights. (you can see by the width of the white band how much I moved it in). It still needs way more doofing around with but hopefully its good enough for you to at least get the general idea:
edit.jpg

If you look at the latest range rover sport SVR it looks a LOT more integrated and the front curve looks almost unbroken. I guess thats at least partly what I'm kinda saying.
range1.jpg

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now i see what you are saying. Yea theres no denying the new svr looks better haha. I still like the look of mine. Thanks for the insight though.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
801 Posts
Love it.

Like the wheels you already have on it better than the ones you're mocking up though...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey buddy, nice project. What are the wheels you have on now? I mean the black ones and are they 24"? They look really nice. Do you mind telling me the wheel and tire specs? I am in the market for new wheels and summer tires and not sure how I can get a nice flush look like yours. Appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts