RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched around here and haven't found any recent threads on this.

What are my options for winter tires for my 06 SC? Tirerack seems to only have the Pirelli's as a dedicated snow tire. My service advisor is saying I should only go with Toyo Proxes that seem to be all-season tires. I don't want to go with all-season's unless their is some feedback from folks here that have used them in the snow and say they are great. It's my wife's car, and with the addition of our 5 month old daughter, I want her to have tank like traction if/when she needs it.

What are my options? what are you guys in snowy climates running?

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
I ran the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow.

I used the truck in heavy snow, and of course they were better than the Synchrones I used in summer. But the big difference from a safety point of view was this: Braking. It's a three ton curling stone. All season tires just aren't as sticky on ice or even pavement at very cold temps.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Cooper also do a dedicated snow tyre called the Cooper Discoverer M+S,
and a new tyre called the Cooper Discoverer M+S2.
Bridgestone, Yokohama, Nokian also do dedicated snow tyres.
To tell a snow tyre apart from an all season or just a tyre M+S rated look closely
at the tread.

Notice lots of fine siping, and spacing between the treadblocks.

Cooper ATR is rated M+S but has nowhere near as much siping of the tread.
Also winter/ snow tyres tend to have softer compound rubber to be
able to cope with the cold.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Go with the Pirellis (Ice & Snow). They work great and they last quite awhile. I use them all year on my LR3 and soon to be LR4.

On my full size RR S/C I actually run the Dunlop GrandTrek 8000 (from tire rack), but I don't use that truck as much in the winter. They handle well, including snow, but wear out very fast.

·
Registered
646 Posts
You should probably list if your running stock rims or not. A lot of tire choices comes down to if they make a tire in your size.

I have found the RR to be amazingly capable in the snow. We had over 15" last winter. I drove around with low profile street tires and the RR kicked butt!!!!
I never once slid out of control. I have an old 87 blazer which had 35" tires and an agressive tread pattern I did 3 180's in that truck very scary.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I have the stock 20 inchers. The contis are utterly useless in the snow, comically useless.

I know there are lots of manufactures that make them....my question was who else aside from pirelli makes them in my size for my load rating? Not coming up with much else :(

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
269 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I live in Britain so we only get Snow about twice a year but I am now running 275/40 R20 Toyo Proxes that have amazing road grip and are supposed to be great winter tyres too but i have not tried them in Snow just yet (See below) . Very hard wearing as well apparently.

Only thing I would change would be a 275/50 profile to smooth the ride back to OEM Standard wheel/Tyre cushioning. So my ideal Tyre would be Toyo Proxes 275/50 R20 or 295/50 R20 (if you can get them)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Get in touch with your local LR club or the maybe even the dealer... See if you can find a second set of wheels. Some of the dealers have good deals on a set of take off 19's. Back in 04, I bought a set of 5 04 wheels with tires for my P38 for $500.00. That way you could have a set of winter tires with wheels and a set of normal tires.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Gazellio said:
I live in Britain so we only get Snow about twice a year but I am now running 275/40 R20 Toyo Proxes that have amazing road grip and are supposed to be great winter tyres too but i have not tried them in Snow just yet (See below) . Very hard wearing as well apparently.
:shock:
Says who?

Hard wearing= hard rubber compound= great for summer not winter.
The tread blocks have no siping either.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
q-rover said:
Gazellio said:
:shock:
Says who?

Hard wearing= hard rubber compound= great for summer not winter.
The tread blocks have no siping either.
OK they are not "Winter" Tyres but are great all rounders:

"The Toyo Proxes S/T provides both high performance and increased load indexes for sport utility vehicles.

This attractive tyre with its aggressive V-shaped tread will turn heads while offering excellent handling in wet and dry conditions and safety in light snow." (http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-tests?term=toyo-proxes-st)

·
Registered
929 Posts
carter840 said:
In the past people have mentioned this brand.
http://www.tirefactory.net/vredestein.htm

I myself have not tried them, but am looking for a tire that is good in snow but can be used all season and at high speeds.

I run these and the are awesome. I drive to the mountains about 2 hrs highway and 1 hour mountain roads. The last 30 miles winding up and down mountains and we had a big snow winter last year. Some in Finland purchase for use on/off-road according to the distributer and their web site. Another really great winter tire is the Nokian WR G2 I was actually waiting on the Nokians but went with the vredestein because they were in stock - and he matched the price.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Blake said:
I have searched around here and haven't found any recent threads on this.

What are my options for winter tires for my 06 SC? Tirerack seems to only have the Pirelli's as a dedicated snow tire. My service advisor is saying I should only go with Toyo Proxes that seem to be all-season tires. I don't want to go with all-season's unless their is some feedback from folks here that have used them in the snow and say they are great. It's my wife's car, and with the addition of our 5 month old daughter, I want her to have tank like traction if/when she needs it.

What are my options? what are you guys in snowy climates running?

Thanks
Last year I was doing the same search & found Vredestein to be the best winter tires for the RR & made just for the RR in the stock size. I purchased (4) 255/50R20 Wintrac 4Xtreme & never had them mounted on my stock wheels. I have sold my 08 RR S/C & was going to put these on Ebay.( brand new nver mounted) I will sell all 4 for $1k + shipping , I am in NY so not to much for shipping.
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
543 Posts
Blake.

An alternative is BFGoodrich A/T in 285/55R20 which is easier to source and gives that extra 1" of clearance in deep snow.

These have a lower speed rating which is ideal for winter, yet maintain the load rating for your FFRR S/C and are cheaper ?

Just realise the full size spare could pose problems if you get a flat, as the spare is smaller than available 285/55R20 fitment !

Cheerio,

Vinniman.
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the help guys.

I ordered a set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice and snows. I am hoping to get them mounted at the end of the month.

I wish update with my opinions when the first snowfall hits us.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Like to see some pictures of Rangies shod in Snow Shoes out on the US Snow this winter so all you winter tyre boys please get ready to take and post your Snow Tyres in action pics :!:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know that for my 06 RRSC (20" rims) I picked up a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks. The price was outstanding from what I could tell from Discount Tire at $209 per tire...all in with the Discount Tire warranty, install...4 bags ("thrown in") for the summer tires I was out the door for $1,024. They are 275 45 20, DM-V1.

I like the tread pattern and it seems like the online research on the Blizzaks is very favorible. I just had one day on ice and snow as Denver was thawing out this weekend (Friday PM, Saturday AM) and I smashed the breaks in my neighborhood on a cross street - around 20 mph (with no one around of course after checking) a few times on what appeared to be ice with a bit of snow on it and I stoped on a dime with almost no ABS kick in. Other than that I can't attest to anything else but thought I'd share my purchase.

A

1 - 20 of 23 Posts