RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we are getting ready for spring around here, even though it snowed here in south Texas yesterday. Trying to get the Rover ready for a great year exploring.

I am experiencing a little bit of a rough idle and little rough rpms at lower speeds. Higher speeds are smooth. I have completed some of the suggestions from the main site and searching on this forum. It is time for a tune up so here are the questions.

Spark plugs - Champion or copper plugs ok?
Spark plug wires - it looks like 7.5mm are the norm. Are there better ones that I should consider?
Distributor Cap - AB list a Lucas and a Genuine. Which one?
Rotor - Same as above - Lucas or Genuine?

I changed all the fluids when I bought it last March but, am going to change the oil and oil filter again. Air Filter was changed yesterday.

Anything else I should do? I hope to be miles away from civilization fishing on the Padre Island bays and seashore in about a month. 60 miles of 4 wheel drive, dunes and fun.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Parker
1993 Plymouth Blue LWB

·
Registered
374 Posts
There may be some different opinions here, but I'll start.

Spark Plugs - I prefer Champions but NGK should work good too. Champion part # is RN11YCC I think, but you may want to search.
Wires - I used Kingsborne. I heard really good things about them and decided to give them a try, no probs with them at all, and the quality seems pretty good. And you can't beat the price. I went with 8mm wires. http://www.kingsbornewires.com/product.sc?productId=754&categoryId=38
Distributor Cap - Genuine for sure
Rotor - Genuine for sure

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
38 Posts
I just did a major tune up.

Genuine on the plug wires

Lucas for the Distributor and Rotor (They're OEM)

Champion copper on the plugs.

Make sure to clean the throttle body and PCV system. Be gentle with the PVC "T" fitting because it may be brittle. Clean the Idle Stepper Motor too and last but not least, run a can of BG44K through the fuel tank. I did my fuel filter for good measure and changed all my fluids including all diffs, transmission, transfer case and oil. Swivel balls I did in the fall. You can also clean the MAF but be gentle use the BG44K throttle body cleaner.

I'll be heading down the island soon also. The spring Black Drum run is starting at the land cut.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Slight roughness at idle but not at higher engine speeds is a classic symptom of a small vacuum leak. Check all your vacuum hoses for looseness at one end or the other, for splits at the ends, or for cracks anywhere along their length. Also check the cloth hose between the AFM and the intake manifold. Be methodical and check them all. You'll find it.

Good luck,
Scott

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the information. I was alittle confused by the AB site. They listed Lucas distributor cap and rotor and "Genuine" distributor cap and rotor. I think I know the ones that I will go with now.

Parker
1993 Plymouth Blue LWB

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to test to see if I have a vacuum leak. I bet I do some where.

Some more questions, location of Idle Stepper Motor, and PVC Cleaning. If the stepper motor is the part at the passenger side of the plenum in the rear, then I just cleaned that out. Is it also refered to as the Air Idler Valve? If so, then it really helped at higher speed to smooth out the engine and it was moderately dirty. The PVC/Throttle valve is something I have looked at on the RAVE but not on my workshop manuals yet. Can I just clean/replace the foam in the PVC. The cleaning of the throttle body looks to be a litle more involved. I see the "T" connector and understand the flow of the system. Maybe a litle more guidance would help.

One last question - differencial oil??? The Book says 80w EP. Can I use 90w or a 75w-90w?

Thanks
Parker
1993 Plymouth Blue LWB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts