RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the steering wheel spokes yesterday afternoon and thought I'd share the lessons I'd learnt:
  1. The old spokes on my ’04 L322 were black and showing signs of wear, so I thought I'd change to the newer chrome ones. I’d seen PowerfulUK’s video, which is a great help at www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ExPWINA88&feature=relmfu.
  2. I bought the set from e-bay for £39, although you can get them from the dealer for about £45. Part number is LR018962.
  3. I disconnected the battery and left the car for about half an hour.
  4. The hardest part of the job was working out how to remove the steering wheel airbag. I ended up finding a 2.85mm round bar (the shaft of a small file) to push gently on the release pin. Any bigger than about 3mm, then it would be too large to locate the release pin. Best picture of the release pin I found was at www.roverupgrades.com/rover_multi_functional_steering_wheel.htmlhttp://www.roverupgrades.com/rover_multi_functional_steering_wheel.html. There are guides to help you locate the release pin, which is about 7cm inside the holes, straight in at 90degrees to the steering column. You need to press gently on the spring, and only move it in only about 1cm. If you can’t feel the spring, you’re pushing in the wrong place. Once you’ve found the spring, push gently on the airbag, gently on the release spring, and then slightly pull the airbag off the steering wheel (It wont come off completely until you’ve released both sides).
  5. Remove the electrical connectors as shown on the video.
  6. Undo the steering bolt with a 16mm socket and long extension bar (it’s tight so you’ll need the extension bar to get the leverage).
  7. Mark the steering wheel column so the steering wheel goes back on at the same angle.
  8. Gently pull the steering wheel off the column.
  9. Removing the spokes and replacing them with the new ones is easy if you’ve watched PowerfulUK’s video. You’ll need a torx20 (small) driver to remove 4 screws.
  10. Re-fit the steering wheel.
  11. Re-connect the electrical connectors.
  12. Press the airbag back on so it clips into place.
  13. Re-connect the battery.
  14. Start-up and turn steering from lock to lock to remove the Air Susp failure warning on the dash.
  15. And that’s it… The steering wheel looks so much better.
The whole job took about an hour. The hardest thing was working out how to remove the airbag, which took about half an hour. Once you’ve worked out how to find the release pins on the airbag, that part is no more than a 30-second job.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
200 Posts
No pictures? I'd like to see how "so much better" it looks.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
10 Posts
I just did the same thing to my 2004 last night after work. Love the outcome. Here are a few pics of the process.. photo(19).jpg
photo(20).jpg
photo(21).jpg
photo(22).jpg
photo(23).jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts