RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brief History - I had a 2014 RRS and loved it enough to get a 2018. Dual screen malfunctions over the last year causing it to be in service department 7 times. Modules replaced, updates, everything possible to fix it failed.

Bugs included:
Blue Tooth drop out.
Car play drop out.
Lower and upper screens go black.
Upper unit touch screen periodically does not work.
Music just would not play.
Upper screen goes blank then closes.

When car is left overnight, it reset and next day worked - until it didn't.

Let me say that I love love love the car. Amazing and a joy to drive - I wish they could have fixed the dual screens.

In order to get their attention and belief (because they could never duplicate the issues) I video taped the issues as they happened then sent them the video.

After my service manager spoke with Land Rover, they offered to take the car back under the Lemon Law.

Today, an inspector from Autovin (company used to check vehicles for all brands) came to my home to check out the car and we had an interesting conversation. He told me that he check out more Range Rover's for the lemon law than any other car and most of them are for the dual screen problem. He said he has seen 6 in the past month.

Land Rover knows they have a big problem and they are buying back many cars.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Interesting - I've had plenty of issues with the top screen not turning on or taking way too long to boot up (recently caused the reverse camera to not function). I've also had the reverse camera lag, which I complained about but they said it was not reproducible. CarPlay, while better, still has occasional issues where it just doesn't load. I guess I need to just start grabbing more evidence and bringing it in more.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues—I remember your post when you upgraded. I dislike my 2016 infotainment but I guess after reading about these issues I will dislike it a little less now!

What are you going to get now?

·
Registered
57 Posts
1.) are you satisfied with the buy back price?

2.) amazing that poorly written software can ruin such a great SUV.

3.) LR seems to be behind many other manufacturers as it relates to their in vehicle software stability. At what point do they just hire and pay enough money for top talent to fix? If they’re buying back vehicles surely it they should throw money at the problem as well.

4.) just imagine the software in the new Defender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
How many miles or weeks you guys had when all this problems started?

Wondering if all owners are having the same issues or maybe some don’t, maybe some parts from the vehicle are made in a different factory who knows, I have a 20 with no issues so far, have 500 miles on it, probably the apple car play Once or twice disconnect issue, but I’ve been staying away from the screens.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear about your issues—I remember your post when you upgraded. I dislike my 2016 infotainment but I guess after reading about these issues I will dislike it a little less now!

What are you going to get now?
Probably 2020 BMW 840i - I've been in the SUV for years and my kids are grown, so Im gonna give a coupe a shot.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1.) are you satisfied with the buy back price?

2.) amazing that poorly written software can ruin such a great SUV.

3.) LR seems to be behind many other manufacturers as it relates to their in vehicle software stability. At what point do they just hire and pay enough money for top talent to fix? If they’re buying back vehicles surely it they should throw money at the problem as well.

4.) just imagine the software in the new Defender

I am waiting to hear about the buyback price, but Lemon Law is to return every dollar spent. I lease the car and have about $30,000 into it.

It is not only a software issue. Land Rover told me that the dual screens are manufactured by Land Rover and they decided to do this rather than use a known system. I hear they will be dumping these units and new units from an outside company will be in the cars in a couple of years.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Wondering if all owners are having the same issues or maybe some don’t, maybe some parts from the vehicle are made in a different factory who knows
Not all users have these issues & all Range Rover Sport vehicles are built in 1 factory.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’m talking about parts, example if the Screen manufacturer is at full capacity maybe having another supplier

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went through it. 4 month ordeal with Land Rover. Finally got my check. I'm done with this Range Rover platform until they change out the electronics. I got EVERYTHING back. Including interest and any fee you can think of. Sure I'm happy that I got my money back, but I really loved my Range Rover and will wait until they fix their stuff.

·
Registered
100 Posts
crazy, I was scared and went for the new Cayenne, not happy I trade the Cayenne for an AB 20.
My 16 RRS was problem free and this one almost 1k and haven’t had any issues, maybe the apple car play disconnecting once or twice but other then that nothing and I can live with that, what issues are you guys having on the MY20 Or 19? Did your issues started immediately or after a few thousand miles ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re LG: Don't expect the new system being any kind of more stable than the current (IMC 19B1, TCU 15.2 or later) one. All new systems have issues, and LG (formerly "Goldstar"....!) isn't famous for automotive software, nor being especially sturdy and stable. Unless I am misinformed, the current IMC (ICTP) software is made by Panasonic, which, if true, I have more trust in than LG....

Would the topic starter perhaps be so kind as to share information on what software version levels his vehicle is on?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wow, why didn't you like the new Cayenne?
I do, just a different beast, Cayenne is more light performance, RRS is more comfy, but the v8 is fast and sounds like a monster, you feel that you are in a very heavy secure vehicle is just a different feeling experience, also more comfortable, my personal opinion :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts