RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turned on my RR P38 last night and realized that all exterior lights work on the car, however the left hand side is significantly brighter than the right. How many different bulbs go in the headlight and tail light ? Could one headlight bulb and one tail light bulb both be out on the same side and this gives the appearance of one side being brighter than the other ? Any and all help is greatly appreciated !

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Have you pulled the bulbs to check them? Have you looked in your owners manual to make sure they are the correct kind? If yes to both then it could be poor grounds.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a rookie mechanic....... When you say grounds ? Do you mean the battery terminal ground wires ? Sorry for asking but mechanics is a new hobby of mine since purchasing my RR. Please elaborate and again thankyou for the help

·
Registered
400 Posts
In any circuit there has to be a supply and return. For a lamp to light, this circuit must be complete i.e. one side of the bulb should be connected to the + positive battery terminal and one to the - negative. In auto electrics, instead of running return wires from every component, the return is the chassis and body of the vehicle and is usually ( but not always) the - neg. The negative terminal on the battery is usually connected to the chassis or "ground". "Grounding" points can corrode and cause electrical problems, so it is always wise to check the ground points when any electrical problem arises.

Hope that helps
Mac

·
Registered
20 Posts
How do you find where it is grounded at? I'm having the same issue and when I look at the wiring for the light the wires just go a short way and then enter some electrical tape and then tubing. I tried following the wires back but got lost behind heaps of other stuff. Took a look at rave but it's just pages and pages of ground points without saying what is connected to it.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
If you look in the Ground Distribution part of the ETM - the first page lists the ground points and their relative pages. The next pages go on to detail what is connected to what ground.

You can then look at the location views to reference the ground number, and then a picture of where it is on the vehicle.

For example:
All of the LH Front Lamps join up to a bunch of other underbonnet bits, and all go to E0154 (up to 1999) or E0557 (99 on)
All of the RH Front Lamps go to E181 (up to 1999) or E0560 (99 on)
All of the RH Rear Lamps, Lower Tailgate lights, Number Plate lamps, and Hi-Stop lamp go to E322 (up to 1999) or E0565 (99 on)
All of the LH Rear Lamps go to E367 (up to 1999) or E0809 (99 on)

You should be able to cross reference those ground points in the location views in RAVE so you know where abouts on the vehicle you are looking.

Marty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts