Range Rovers Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Left front tyre wearing out faster than the right front

16K views 52 replies 14 participants last post by  RRToadHall 
#1 ·
My wifes 2001 P38 4.0 HSE is wearing the the left front tyre quicker than the other,tyre pressures are good and it's not the alignment as the wear is even,any ideas??,thanks

#2 ·
Hi

I have the same problem and when I asked about the reason why this happens I was informed by the shop assistant that this is common and happens on most cars. Mine is a RHD and I was told it has something to do with the cornering as making a left or right turn the left turn is always a shorter circle then the right due driving on the left side of the road, this makes the shearing forces on the tyre edge of the left outside the highest.

I do not know if this explanation is correct but the info that nearly all cars have this has made me except it.

Regards

Jos

#3 ·
I'm sorry but that is about the most hilarious thing I have ever heard. Using that logic wouldn't everyone here in the states have issues with their right tyres? Outside of damaged suspension parts the only time I have ever seen uneven tyre wear has been due to alignment and/or folks not bothering to rotate their tyres.

So along the lines of worn suspension parts I would check for a weak shock on that corner. Poor damping will easily cause fast wear of a tyre.

#10 ·
My airbag is the shock absorber,if you mean a damper then thats a different thing,shock absorbers are NOT what you think they are,shock absorbers are springs,airbags,dampers are what you think shock absorbers are,they dampen and control rebound,so no my shock absorbers are not leaking

#12 ·
Thank you Ghur. At least someone on this thread understands the suspension components on our rigs. :thumb:

Hemi, the air bag is simply a replacement for the coil springs on most rigs. Your air bag/bladder is NOT your shock absorber. It is a height maintaining component. You still have shocks whether you wish to call them that or not. Then again that is precisely the reason why locations are important in profiles so that the Queen's English and Americans can understand what each other are saying.

So back to the original reason for my responce. A weak shock absorber will cause more travel on a corner resulting in faster wear. In extreme instances tyres will cup and divot due to a failed shock absorber. So how old are your shocks? How many miles are on them? If not orignial were your shock absorbers replaced in mated pairs?

#13 ·
Right,I haven't got a weak DAMPER and the airbag IS a shock absorber,I came on here to ask a question about tyre wear not to be lectured about something I have been well up on for 36 years.I know how the EAS works.You say and I quote "the air bag is simply a replacement for the coil springs"so the coil springs in your mind are NOT shock absorbers (dampers in your mind)????? how did you work that out????......soooo,the air bag IS a shock absorber because you've just said the airbag is a replacement for the coil..........make your mind up.Also shock absorbers and dampers are NOT the same thing,they do different jobs,try driving without a damper,the car will boing everywhere as the damper controls rebound,try driving without a shock absorber(spring,bags,etc),guess what?? it will be a bumpy ride.Have you ever ridden a hard tail bike??rough ride without a coil (shock absorber) and the air in the tyre is the damper.go and read the fundimental of motor vehicle technology book page 364,it's all about the damper and guess what??? it looks like what you think is a shock absorber but it's not.

Back to the question of my left tyre wearing faster than the right and no my damper is not weak,my tyre pressures are correct and she only traverses 1 roundabout twice a day

#16 ·
on page 357 of this book it clearly states "the spring absorbs road shocks" so therefore it's a "shock absorber".This I learned 36 years ago when I started my apprenticeship and it's only people who are ignorant of the fact that call dampers shock absorbers,sorry boys but it's true

#22 ·
In my 37 :dance: years in the game they have been called shock absorbers. By Landrover, BMW, Mercedes, Leyland, Honda, Yamaha, Nissan, blah, blah, blah.

And they have also been called dampers by the same bunch. But a spring in any form - although they do absorb the road shock - are not called shock absorbers. In the motoring world that is.

#23 ·
yes,commonly known as shock absorbers in the trade(of which I am in and own my own garage with staff) and when we order them the description is shock absorbers but it doesn't mean they're right,they have been called shock absorbers over the years but incorrectly named as they are dampers,the spring does the absorbing of the shock and the damper well it dampens the stored energy.We could call them fluid based force-energy conversion dampers (as opposed to gas based-air shock ) but that doesn't roll off the tongue easily. and thats why they've been called shock absorbers all these years,just go take a look in that book I mentioned and all will be revealed

#24 ·
I made an effort to assist you with a real world possibility to explain your issue. You have failed to answer any questions asked so we can further offer ideas. You are now just beating a dead horse and basing your entire pointless trivial arguement on some obscure book, not real world experience. Give a rest, move on. I wish you the best of luck locating your issue.

#25 ·
I have answered all questions asked,no my dampers aren't leaking,the tracking is spot on,etc,etc, and I do live in the real world,I own,run and work in my own garage for the last 18 years with 2 staff that have been with me for 13 years and before that I worked at various dealerships,so I'm not basing my arguement on a "not" obscure book but actually on real life experiences and all my colleagues in the trade agree with me that it's a damper and the shock is the coil/bag and I think it's you and one other that are beating a dead horse because you know I'm right but just not man enough to own up that I'm right.

Now,back to the question again about my odd tyre wear,does anyone else have any ideas,thanks

#26 ·
I've experienced odd tire wear which was finally corrected by replacing the swivel hub upper and lower joints. FTC 3570 and 3571.

#27 ·
I love it when someone is wrong and then they go ballistic defending it. Shocks are springs.......this is some funny stuff.......never heard that one before.

If you truly have as much experience as you claim then why in hell are you asking a question that is unable to be answered without a four wheel alignment. After the alignment (along with any ball joint, tie rod, etc. repairs) then you check wheel bearings and suspension components such as the 'shocks' and springs/air bags. Then on to checking for hung up brakes. If all those prove fine then do tire rotations more often. This is the most basic of mechanic questions-there is no way you have as much experience as you claim.

#28 ·
And the wear is not even if one side is wearing more than the other. Did you do an alignment or are you simply assuming it is not the alignment. I should not have to ask you these kind of questions with your vast experience and knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.