RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Range Rover Supercharged
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several threads discussing two annoying traits regarding trailers with LED lights and compatibility with the L322. One is that the vehicle won’t properly detect that a trailer is connected and the other is that it will “pulse the turn signal/brake lights very dimly as part of the bulb “cold check”. The “not recognizing the trailer” issue is easily resolved with a load resistor, but the pulsing lights issue requires relays and what not.
So my question- is there way to disable the taillights “cold filament” check that is performed via CCF edits? I have an IID tool but do not see anything regarding lamp checks in the possible Car configs. As it almost 100% matters, mine is a 2011 RR. I believe the earlier L322’s (BMW vintage) had an LCM you could access and enable or disable hot and cold filament bulb checks individually. Is this possible on a 2010-2012 L322???

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
240 Posts
Unfortunately I can't answer that, but have always thought about an alternate, albeit thoroughly hillbilly way to potentially solve the problem. And that's to replace the trailer's exterior LED bulbs with old-school incandescent bulbs, if possible. Regression City. Obviously not an optimal solution, but it could work....just thought I'd throw that out there for squirrel thinkin'. My 2008 camping trailer has incandescent and is fully compatible with my 2004 L322, although I've banished all incandescents from the trailer INTERIOR, going from 18 watts per bulb to 3 watts with the new LED bulbs, with the same quality of light ("Cargo" brand LED bulbs from Amazon).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On my enclosed cargo trailer, the side marker/clearance lights don’t have incandescent equivalents, so I can’t swap those out easily... but I don’t think the “running lights” are monitored by bulb check. I beleive it’s the brake/turn signal circuit that is used to both determine a trailer is connected and for bulb monitoring. Fortunately these are started 6” oval flush mounts and could be swapped out for incandescent. My open utility trailer only has 6in oval lights and those could easily be swapped.
I’d still prefer to stick with LED for their longevity. It’s a shame that at a minimum we have to slap a resistor on the circuit to eliminate the power efficiently benefit.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
240 Posts
That's cool if the E-Trailer adapter can do the trick, an elegantly simple fix.

"I'd still prefer to stick with LED for their longevity." Yes, I can fully relate. But something worth considering, if one needed to revert to new incandescent bulbs, many trailers don't get used enough to burn out the bulbs, unlike bulbs on a car or truck which see near-daily use. New incandescent bulbs may likely outlast the rest of the trailer.

But yeah, I get the overall vibe, like hypothetically having to retrofit drum brakes onto a vintage car that currently has discs. Not something you'd celebrate.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
40 Posts
I use one of these, they seem to solve most of the issues with LEDs and they are cheap. https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/TR20141.html
I have a 2012 L322 and a 2019 holiday trailer I tow that has all LED lights. When connected using the seven pin connector all trailer lights work great, no pulsing issues or fast signal lights, with my electric brake controller the brakes work great, however I have never seen the trailer connected icon on my dash ever illuminated. I did purchase this adapter from Tow Ready that is listed in the comment from Mark but using it makes absolutely no difference at all for the truck knowing a trailer is connected. I have never towed a trailer that doesn’t have LED lights so I don’t know if I would get the Trailer icon or not. I don’t use the adapter when towing my holiday trailer because I did not find a benefit from using it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use one of these, they seem to solve most of the issues with LEDs and they are cheap. https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/TR20141.html
Mark,
Yes I’ve seen that adapter. I’ve always wondered how hot that thing gets. Most 6 or 8ohm resistors get quite hot while dissipating that’s 20-30W of heat. Most LED load resistors come with aluminum finned heat sinks and recommend they are affixed to non-combustible materials. I believe that device would solve half the problem. That will allow the trailer to be recognized. Not sure about your 2006, but the 2010-2012 RR send a very short and frequent pulse of voltage down the trailer harness when a trailer is connected to test the trailer lights are not burnt out. The pulse is so short that an incandescent doesn’t have time to illuminate but it causes a dim pulsing light on LED’s
That's cool if the E-Trailer adapter can do the trick, an elegantly simple fix.

"I'd still prefer to stick with LED for their longevity." Yes, I can fully relate. But something worth considering, if one needed to revert to new incandescent bulbs, many trailers don't get used enough to burn out the bulbs, unlike bulbs on a car or truck which see near-daily use. New incandescent bulbs may likely outlast the rest of the trailer.

But yeah, I get the overall vibe, like hypothetically having to retrofit drum brakes onto a vintage car that currently has discs. Not something you'd celebrate.
Exactly!

I have a 2012 L322 and a 2019 holiday trailer I tow that has all LED lights. When connected using the seven pin connector all trailer lights work great, no pulsing issues or fast signal lights, with my electric brake controller the brakes work great, however I have never seen the trailer connected icon on my dash ever illuminated. I did purchase this adapter from Tow Ready that is listed in the comment from Mark but using it makes absolutely no difference at all for the truck knowing a trailer is connected. I have never towed a trailer that doesn’t have LED lights so I don’t know if I would get the Trailer icon or not. I don’t use the adapter when towing my holiday trailer because I did not find a benefit from using it.
today, when I connect an LED equipped trailer to my RR, all lights function perfect, however the RR doesn’t know I have a trailer attached. As a result, whenever I put the trans in reverse the backup sensors throw a fit, it also doesn’t disable air suspension speed-related height adjustment, nor does it alter the transmission **** profile. These are all benefits of having the truck recognize the trailer.
In your case, is using the adapter makes no difference at all, I suspect that your vehicle control module wasn’t updated when the hitch was installed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mark,
Yes I’ve seen that adapter. I’ve always wondered how hot that thing gets. Most 6 or 8ohm resistors get quite hot while dissipating that’s 20-30W of heat. Most LED load resistors come with aluminum finned heat sinks and recommend they are affixed to non-combustible materials. I believe that device would solve half the problem. That will allow the trailer to be recognized. Not sure about your 2006, but the 2010-2012 RR send a very short and frequent pulse of voltage down the trailer harness when a trailer is connected to test the trailer lights are not burnt out. The pulse is so short that an incandescent doesn’t have time to illuminate but it causes a dim pulsing light on LED’s

Exactly!

today, when I connect an LED equipped trailer to my RR, all lights function perfect, however the RR doesn’t know I have a trailer attached. As a result, whenever I put the trans in reverse the backup sensors throw a fit, it also doesn’t disable air suspension speed-related height adjustment, nor does it alter the transmission **** profile. These are all benefits of having the truck recognize the trailer.
In your case, is using the adapter makes no difference at all, I suspect that your vehicle control module wasn’t updated when the hitch was installed.
My truck came with the factory tow package, everything installed at the factory. I have a GAP tool and verified the tow bar fitted is activated in the CCF files.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are several threads discussing two annoying traits regarding trailers with LED lights and compatibility with the L322. One is that the vehicle won’t properly detect that a trailer is connected and the other is that it will “pulse the turn signal/brake lights very dimly as part of the bulb “cold check”. The “not recognizing the trailer” issue is easily resolved with a load resistor, but the pulsing lights issue requires relays and what not.
So my question- is there way to disable the taillights “cold filament” check that is performed via CCF edits? I have an IID tool but do not see anything regarding lamp checks in the possible Car configs. As it almost 100% matters, mine is a 2011 RR. I believe the earlier L322’s (BMW vintage) had an LCM you could access and enable or disable hot and cold filament bulb checks individually. Is this possible on a 2010-2012 L322???
Hey BillConn if you can give me the exact CCF file configurations that you have set I can compare them to what my vehicle is currently set to to see if there are any differences. I have never tried to make any adjustments to my settings, they are:
  • Tow bar
    Trailer tow attachment
  • Trailer module
    Trailer module 13 - Position socket
  • Trailer stability assist
    Undefined
  • Trailer towing ball.
    Fitted

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Figured I’d post an update. I messed around a while within IID tool to see if the 2010-2012 RR’s could have the trailer cold-filament bulb check turned off. No luck. Seems like only the earlier years with the LCM could have that disabled.
After looking for an easy-way out without luck, I went ahead modified the wiring on my trailer. I wired load resistors in-line with the LH and RH turn signal signal wires. This allows the Range Rover to recognize the trailer is connected. Then, to eliminate both the trailer bulb warning lights and faint “pulsing” of the lights (as part of the cold-filament bulb check), I added a relays to both the LH and RH turn signal wires. i am happy to report that my Range Rover now detects my trailer properly and I do not get any bulb warnings. The ONLY downside is that I have be a responsible person and check that my trailer lights are not burned out the ol’ fashioned way.
I have also attached the wiring diagram I used (found elsewhere online) to properly modify my trailer wiring:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
659 Posts
I tow so infrequently I’m not concerning myself with it.
Annoying when in town? Yes.
But most of my trailering has been on the highway. I try not to change lanes as often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 RRSC
73 Posts
Years ago with my LR3 I made an adaptor that plugged into the 7pin plug and utilized relays to switch the led lignts on and off, I used the 12v hot wire on the 7 pin to feed the contact on the relay. The coil of the relay satisfied the load for the light check and enabled the trailer connected indication. Simple solution that did not require the use of load reaistors.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Years ago with my LR3 I made an adaptor that plugged into the 7pin plug and utilized relays to switch the led lignts on and off, I used the 12v hot wire on the 7 pin to feed the contact on the relay. The coil of the relay satisfied the load for the light check and enabled the trailer connected indication. Simple solution that did not require the use of load reaistors.
I was wondering if the relays provided just enough load via the coil to signal that a trailer was connected. I may try disconnecting my load resistors and see if JUST the relays do the trick.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,148 Posts
Thats weird, my 06 knows the trailer is there when its plugged into that adapter, the little trailer icon lights up on the dash whenever its plugged in. Never seen the lights pulse but they probably do, my BU lights and licence plate lights which have been replaced with LEDs do have that random flash. I know theres one immediately after starting the truck, or turning on the lights, and I've noticed the BU lights flash every once and a while. Nature of having the LEDs I guess even though they are all CANBUS type bulbs.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The relays sure do work real nifty. The bulb checks very brief voltage pulse isn’t strong enough or long enough in duration to close the relay. So there is no pulse, but there is enough resistance in the system to keep the “bulb out” warning light from coming on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey BillConn if you can give me the exact CCF file configurations that you have set I can compare them to what my vehicle is currently set to to see if there are any differences. I have never tried to make any adjustments to my settings, they are:
  • Tow bar
    Trailer tow attachment
  • Trailer module
    Trailer module 13 - Position socket
  • Trailer stability assist
    Undefined
  • Trailer towing ball.
    Fitted
Hey BillConn would you be kind enough to tell me if your CCF’s for trailer towing are set the same as mine?
Thanks!
Byron

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thats weird, my 06 knows the trailer is there when its plugged into that adapter, the little trailer icon lights up on the dash whenever its plugged in. Never seen the lights pulse but they probably do, my BU lights and licence plate lights which have been replaced with LEDs do have that random flash. I know theres one immediately after starting the truck, or turning on the lights, and I've noticed the BU lights flash every once and a while. Nature of having the LEDs I guess even though they are all CANBUS type bulbs.
Mark, did you do Datafoo's led panel mod to the reverse lights? I didn't think the b/u lights were in the monitoring system, and would not flicker.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yes, I did I have the pair of LED panels in each BU light housing. Mine do flash really breifly just after startup. They don't get to full brighness or anything. My plate lights which are also LEDs now do flash occasionally when off. I've actually stood right in front of them and seen that first hand. The funny thing about the plate lights is that I have gone thru about 8 or 9 LEDs on the right side of the plate, and 1 on the left side in 5 years. The right side is always failing alot more frequently, the contacts are all clean and tight on both lamps and I can't figure out why that one side keeps failing. I carry a bag of replacement bulbs for the inevitable check license plate light message on the dash.

·
Registered
177 Posts
So are the B/U lights on the bulb check system? If they flicker on startup, I would think that the bulb system check is causing that. If so, that might be the answer to my weird trailer lighting functions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts