RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LED Mirror Puddle Lamps Installed / $15.00 parts + Topix subscription

Wife wanted to do household cleanup after the Thanksgiving tornado. I didn't. So I took my RRS apart.

Last week at Fry's Electronics (look up if you are not familiar), I found some white (high power) panel mount LED's with a 30 degree diffused output. Cost only $4.59, so I bought two.

I had been thinking of how annoying it is that my wife's $40k Audi has mirror puddle lamps, and my RRS doesn't. Won't even mention that her Audi also has auto-chromatic dimming external mirrors.

I first thought I could just wire the LED to the door's courtesy (puddle lamp), but after some testing, I found that it was switched off when the door is closed. Means I would have to run wires from the door, through the rubber boot to the chassis. I would then splice into the courtesy lights under the dash.

Took a few hours and some skinned fingers, but I managed to get it done. The passenger side only another hour. Broke a tab on the tweeter speaker housing, but it still is secure with the remaining tabs. Care needs to be taken.

I got a week's subscription ($29) for Topix so I could find the proper removal instructions for the panels and wiring. I found a very helpful bulletin on replacing the bad camera wires on mirrors. The instructions basically explained HOW to run a wire from the mirror area all the way to the dash.

Purchased:

Topix subscription
Two sets of 5' 20 gauge paired wiring (stranded core), used for speakers.
Linrose Panel Mount 10mm LED: # B4383H4
4 wire splices, electical tape

Extra parts: (old scrap wires for threading through grommets). A roll of sticky sided foam insulation to make sure wires don't rattle.

Puddle_LED_1.jpg Puddle_LED_2.jpg Puddle_LED_3.jpg Puddle_LED_4.jpg Puddle_LED_5.jpg Puddle_LED_6.jpg

·
Registered
489 Posts
Re: LED Mirror Puddle Lamps Installed / $15.00 parts + Topix subscription

You are an animal. Nice job BTW, i mightve looked online for slightly brighter light but hard to tell from inside your garage and in the light there. Do you think its as nice as you expected it to turn out?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,367 Posts

I saw some last week in the new Evoque Coupe. I think that it is an upcoming mod to my P38A.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

You are an animal. Nice job BTW, i mightve looked online for slightly brighter light but hard to tell from inside your garage and in the light there. Do you think its as nice as you expected it to turn out?
The result is about what I expected. Based on the Audi's puddle lamps (factory LED), the output is very close. The best I've had was on my previous Escalade, which used standard bulbs. There's room to add about 4 more per side if I really need more output. There is plenty of open space under the mirror mechanism.

However, the honest answer is that puddle lights are one of those things I don't really need, and never rely on. It does light up the area well enough in total darkness, meaning that if you can see the interior being lit up by the courtesy lights, you will also see the ground lit up below the door. However, when you open the door, the factory puddle light washes out the LED.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts