RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm sure this has been done before by many of you, but if not, enjoy the inspiration.

the interior lights of P38s suck. i had many that were burnt out and the ones that weren't were just flat out dull.

so i went onto superbrightleds.com and ordered a complete interior set for all of the interior bulbs. dome lights, map lights, foot well lights, puddle lamps and lift gate lamp. here are the results!

full interior:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
map lights only:

puddle lamps & lift gate:

full interior from the outside:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
6 Posts
Did mine also, what a change it made, no to mention how many interior light there, I also fitted an LED strip to the bottom of the upper tailgate wired to the std light

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
Looks nice... I did the same to my one about 9 months ago..

I actually built the puddle and map light ones myself (I had a bunch of white LED's lying around!), but bought the festoons for the interior lamps.

One of the reason I made the map lights was because I could angle the LED to come directly out of the lens an aim downwards, otherwise one of the pre-made lamps would shine straight ahead, and not a lot of light would come out (being as LED's are very directional and the standard tungsten lamps aren't)..

The factory lamp was missing from my upper tailgate - so I bought a couple of 16 LED SMD boards (which incidentally both next to each other fill up the gap perfectly) and light the whole loadspace up well!

It definitely gives an older vehicle that more 'modern' look... Also, depending on the LED's you have, draws up to about 1/2 the power over the tungsten equivalent - so less battery drain too :D

What lamps did you use for the puddle/front footwell lights? I am a bit wary about buying a bunch of them, as a couple of people have got them before and found they are too long to fit in the housing properly!

Cheers,
Marty

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all,

Mr Freshman, don't suppose you have a list of all the LED equivalents required do you? I know its cheeky but gotta try. Also have you had any issues with BECM giving bulb failures?
Its on my ever growing list of things to do to my P38.

Thanks

·
Registered
405 Posts
What was required for you to replace all the lights with LEDs? How much re-wiring and/or soldering did you have to do?

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Since none of the interior lights are monitored you wouldn't have any error messages. It;s the exterior lights that would give you headaches without proper resistor LED units.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did mine also, what a change it made, no to mention how many interior light there, I also fitted an LED strip to the bottom of the upper tailgate wired to the std light
i would like to put a strip in the tail gate. the bulb for the tail gate that i got is really REALLY good. its a projector too, but the downfall is how its mounted in the housing. i may modify the housing because that bulb is essentially a wide-angle flash light.

What lamps did you use for the puddle/front footwell lights? I am a bit wary about buying a bunch of them, as a couple of people have got them before and found they are too long to fit in the housing properly!

Cheers,
Marty
i used the 74 LED small wedge base bulb that was listed in the vehicle guide on superbrightleds.com the base was a little smaller than the OEM bulbs, but i was able to get them to work. some of the puddle lamps were a little corroded so i had to clean them a bit and pull out the contacts on the bulbs to get them to work to ensure a good connection.

What was required for you to replace all the lights with LEDs? How much re-wiring and/or soldering did you have to do?
no wiring required. plug-n-play install. easy and fun upgrade to do. instant results make it a satisfying upgrade.

this is exactly what i used.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Thanks for the reference. When I checked on the bulbs there seems to be several color options. Did you use the recommened color. Many thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reference. When I checked on the bulbs there seems to be several color options. Did you use the recommened color. Many thanks.
i used cool white on all the bulbs. i dont think any other color would look good, esp with my color combo.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
Likewise - I used cool white. It looks good with the Lightstone leather interior.

The only other colour I would consider is warm white - would take the edge off the white by having a bit of a lower colour temperature.

Cheers,
Marty

·
Registered
405 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
That website only has cool white as an option (that I saw). The only other option is orange/amber - and I think that would look too orange and horrible!

My vehicle is black on the outside, and I replaced the carpet with Black, and the cool white looks nice. Some people might think it's a bit crisp, but I think it looks modern!

Cheers,
Marty

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Of those parts, there are multiple lights that can be used for each applications. The 'dome light' has 4 different units that are listed. (here) Which parts exactly did you use? I'm going to order them tonight.

I have an all black interior. Do you think cool white or warm white would be better?

Thanks,
i think cool white looks best with any interior. it gives it a real crisp, modern look.

for the bulbs, i choose the brightest bulbs in each category since i wanted the most amount of light possible, however i avoided the 30 high power bulbs since i didn't think they would fit into the housing.

here is an exact list of what i ordered:

Qty | Product / Options | Price/ea |
============================================================
1 | 67-x2W: 1156 LED Bulb - Single Intensity 3 x 2 Watt High Power LED| $ 16.95 |
67-CW2W: Cool White
------------------------------------------------------------
1 | 3610-W1-CB: 3610 LED CAN Bus Bulb - 1 LED Festoon| $ 5.95 |
3610-W1-CB: White
1 | 3022-xHP4: DE3175 LED Bulb - 4 SMD LED Festoon| $ 6.95 |
3022-CWHP4: Cool White
2 | WLED-xHP15-TAC: 194 LED Bulb - 15 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower| $ 6.95 |
WLED-CWHP15-TAC: Cool White
2 | BA9s-xHP9: BA9s LED Bulb - 9 LED Tower | $ 9.95 |
BA9S-WHP9: Cool White
6 | 74-xHP: 74 LED Bulb - 1 SMD LED Wedge Base| $ 2.49 |
74-WHP: Cool White

That website only has cool white as an option (that I saw). The only other option is orange/amber - and I think that would look too orange and horrible!

My vehicle is black on the outside, and I replaced the carpet with Black, and the cool white looks nice. Some people might think it's a bit crisp, but I think it looks modern!

Cheers,
Marty
i don't think its too intense. it does take some getting used to however. it is A LOT of light, esp in the back. but i love it, i can actually see at night throughout the entire interior when the doors are open. there's no guess work or fumbling around trying to find anything.

·
Registered
922 Posts
interesting... a couple of yrs ago I had a vehicle with dark grey interior and the cool white LEDs looked very smart, but not with the lightstone leather in the P38. The blue tinge in the cool white tends to leach the colour from the leather colour and as such it loses some of its "richness" . A grey or black leather interior would be quite OK in my view with the cool white. I managed to get 'warm white' LEDs for the P38 and they suit the lightstone leather and matching carpets very well... in my view!`)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
I do get where you're coming from with the Lightstone leather. I might try and pick up a couple of warm white LED's to see what the difference is. I think the fact I changed the carpet from beige to black helps a bit though..

·
Registered
405 Posts
i think cool white looks best with any interior. it gives it a real crisp, modern look.

for the bulbs, i choose the brightest bulbs in each category since i wanted the most amount of light possible, however i avoided the 30 high power bulbs since i didn't think they would fit into the housing.

here is an exact list of what i ordered:

Qty | Product / Options | Price/ea |
============================================================
1 | 67-x2W: 1156 LED Bulb - Single Intensity 3 x 2 Watt High Power LED| $ 16.95 |
67-CW2W: Cool White
1 | 3022-xHP4: DE3175 LED Bulb - 4 SMD LED Festoon| $ 6.95 |
3022-CWHP4: Cool White
2 | WLED-xHP15-TAC: 194 LED Bulb - 15 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower| $ 6.95 |
WLED-CWHP15-TAC: Cool White
2 | BA9s-xHP9: BA9s LED Bulb - 9 LED Tower | $ 9.95 |