RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a slim 30" light bar and mounted it behind the grill. Sweet!
20180829_202016.jpg

View attachment 266268
now for the hard part: wiring (or what I thought would be the easy part...)

I received a relay kit with a standard 2"x1" rocker switch but I'm not sure I'll use the switch. For one, its the switch is rather large and I'll have a hard time finding the space for it. Two, I'm squeamish running wires through the firewall.

I've never used my fog lights or felt a need to, so I'm thinking the easiest way to wire the light bar would be to trigger them off the fog light circuit. Trouble is, I can't figure out the relay location/situation...
YDXJ0059_LI.jpg
I found this relay in the fuse box, appears to be for the fog lights. however, I'm not getting a useful voltage reading on the pins. I'm getting 12mv and 20mv on the supply and gate pins, which doesnt make sense to me. If I pull the relay, the fogs don't work. Anyone know if this is the proper relay?

I realize I could tap into a wire at the fog lights to operate a relay, but ideally I could tap into something closer to the relay/fuse box.

This is the light bar and relay kit if you're wondering.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B076SV8CKK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B074HC267M/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
385 Posts
Should you decide to install the switch, there is a rubber plug in the firewall that you can use to pull the wire through.

it sits behind the brake servo and comes out just above the pedals

RIMG0012.jpg

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Skip the relay and tap into the power at the fog lights. The only issue is the fog lights turn off when the high beams are on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks flydive, that's helpful. I'll check that out.

MI2VA, somehow I forgot that happened. I'll go with a smaller switch and relay if flydive's tip pans out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
success! got the switch into the cabin, and the harness tucked away. I'm looking for a smaller switch but for now the rocker switch is dangling near the footwell.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Love to see some pictures. I'm curious if the light bar out shines your high beams.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
20180904_211729.jpg
For sure! here are lowbeams:
20180904_213703.jpg
lowbeams and LED lightbar:
20180904_213657.jpg
Lowbeams, LED and Highbeams:
20180904_213712.jpg
Lowbeams and highbeams:
20180904_213708.jpg
I'll say the highbeams are better at throwing light down-road, good for seeing far. The lightbar doesn't throw as far, but it fills in the medium range and peripheral. I don't see myself doing Baja races, more for cruising 20-40mph on a back road or slower on a logging road or trail. for that, I'm happy with the light bar. I also appreciate it's stealth mounting.

Additionally, the highbeams and LED light bar together give better color rendition. of course, my old smartphone camera doesnt do the light justice :)

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Love it. Very well done.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Couple of years ago, I installed LED off-road lights in the opening across the middle of the bumper. Instead of running wires through the firewall, I used a wireless switch that activates a relay. Harness and remote can be seen in the links below. This may be helpful for someone else interested doing a similar project but prefers not to run wires through the firewall:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/wire-harness-relay/led-light-wiring-harness-with-relay-and-weatherproof-switch-dual-output-dt-connector/1979/4454/

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/wireless/wireless-remote-control-switch-with-key-fob-for-wire-harnesses/2052/4640/?accessory_of=1979-recommended

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wireless would have been nice and easy, but it didn't fit my need. I plan on integrating smaller toggle switches into the stock lighting switch module. I will have one switch for On/off, and one to arm the LED's to come on with the highbeams. Will update when I get that going.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts