RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to replace the water hose in the back of the RR today. This hosed turned out not to be the hose that was leaking. I climbed under the truck and pulled the inspection cover off the transmission where the torque convertor is and I can see my water leak is comming from inside there and it has been leaking for a while. Does water run internal to the transmission why would I have a leak inside the bell housing?

Phil you seem to be the expert are you around?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Upon further inspection maybe the water is comming from the top of the motor. I see to small valleys on each side of the motor that have water in them. There appears to be a small hole leading into the bell housing that I assume is how the water is getting into the bell housing but I still dont see where the water is comming from.

I seem to have water between the heads and intake manifold but still can't tell where its comming from.

·
Registered
27 Posts
nsxxtreme said:
Upon further inspection maybe the water is comming from the top of the motor. I see to small valleys on each side of the motor that have water in them. There appears to be a small hole leading into the bell housing that I assume is how the water is getting into the bell housing but I still dont see where the water is comming from.

I seem to have water between the heads and intake manifold but still can't tell where its comming from.
You are not going to like this, there are two pipes that run up the middle of the valley under the inlet manifold. They come from the water pump at the front to a water manifold at the back of the engine. The pipes slide in with o-rings to seal. Have you ever had the water pump replaced? Sometimes when removing the pump the pipes can come out at the back and re-fitting them with the old o-rings may cause a leak.

If it was my vehicle I would be removing the inlet manifold and having a look in there. :(

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
barry said:
nsxxtreme said:

You are not going to like this, there are two pipes that run up the middle of the valley under the inlet manifold. They come from the water pump at the front to a water manifold at the back of the engine. The pipes slide in with o-rings to seal. Have you ever had the water pump replaced? Sometimes when removing the pump the pipes can come out at the back and re-fitting them with the old o-rings may cause a leak.

If it was my vehicle I would be removing the inlet manifold and having a look in there. :(
No I don't believe the water pump has ever been replaced. I saw the two steel hoses running under the inlet that go to the water pump but from what I can physically see it doesn't look like the water is comming from there. also the back of the water pump hangs slightly over the front of the motor so I sould suspect I would see some evidence of some water leaking which I dont. Most of the water is pooled towards the back of the motor. This is a slow leak so its entirely possible I guess but I'm not seeing it I have water all the way to the front and back of the motor. But with the small valley on each side of the motor I assume it could be comming from the front or back of the motor and just sloshing back and fourth.

Anyone know the part list I would need if I decide to pull the inlet off? like gaskets ect... If its the water pump I think I would probably just go ahead and replace the water pump while I have it all torn apart. Anyone have the special tool needed to remove the pulley? I'd gladly pay a deposit as well as shipping.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From reading the rave CD I notice there is a collant gallery plate with 20 bolts in it under the inlet. Maybe the water is leaking from here?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya phil I believe its the same. I think it is the plate that is under the intake manifold. Called the "coolant gallery sealing plate" I'm just now starting to tear into it. There is a small hole at the top of the motor near the back on the driver side that leads to the bell housing. I am assuming this is how thw water is entering the bell housing.

Not a fun project at all! Thanks for the reply though. Any special tricks required to get the fuel injector rail and injectors out?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So as expected the water is leaking from this plate

Here are the small holes near the back of the engine that lead to the bell housing. This is how the water is entering the transmission

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll need to remove the water pump in order to get those tubes out. Anyone have the special tool required to remove the water pump pulley? I'd glady pay a deposit on the tool. I'd need it for just one weekend.

Or anyone know of any other way to get that pulley off?

Here is the list of parts I came up with
inlet gaskets
water pump and gasket
new O-ring for steel tubes
coolant gallery sealent plate gasket
Maybe new fuel injector 0-rings?

Can onyone think of anything I missed?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RRPhil said:
Thanks Phil I tried making my own with a similiar steel bar such as you with some round spacers welded to it to slide over the bolts, still no success.
Buying it seems like a worthy investment. When the head gasket eventually fails I imagine I'll be using it again.

I'm hoping I can still fit a cresent wrench in there. Do you know off hand what the size of that nut is?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the parts list I came up with if anyone else ever has this issue

2 each PET000030 gasket goes on crossover manifold on back of motor
2 each PYX000050 O-ring
2 each PYX000040 O-ring
1 each LCW000010 cover -> part thats leaking
1 each LDR000350 cover assembly -> part thats leaking
4 each LKJ000040 inlet gasket

I'm also replacing the water pump while I have it all torn apart.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
nsxxtreme said:
I'll need to remove the water pump in order to get those tubes out. Anyone have the special tool required to remove the water pump pulley? I'd glady pay a deposit on the tool. I'd need it for just one weekend.

Or anyone know of any other way to get that pulley off?

Here is the list of parts I came up with
inlet gaskets
water pump and gasket
new O-ring for steel tubes
coolant gallery sealent plate gasket
Maybe new fuel injector 0-rings?

Can onyone think of anything I missed?
the water pump pulley? You just unbolt it and take it off... What special tool? :think:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
brad s1 said:
the water pump pulley? You just unbolt it and take it off... What special tool? :think:
I meant the tool to hold the pulley so you can get the fan nut off. I already ordered the tool.

Found the parts here
http://www.roverparts.com/
Rover connection is seriously slow at answering any calls or filling any parts orders these days.

Was quoted $808.88 from the dealer w/o the fan tool
All said and done $406 shipped to my door including the fan tool

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
nsxxtreme said:
brad s1 said:
I meant the tool to hold the pulley so you can get the fan nut off. I already ordered the tool.

Found the parts here
http://www.roverparts.com/
Rover connection is seriously slow at answering any calls or filling any parts orders these days.

Was quoted $808.88 from the dealer w/o the fan tool
All said and done $406 shipped to my door including the fan tool

Ohh, right... I made one of those for 6 bux in about 30 seconds and it works perfectly. Or if you're lucky with the belt still on a quick smack on the fan nut with a wrench/hammer might do it.

The tool is nice though, can't hurt.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
brad s1 said:
Ohh, right... I made one of those for 6 bux in about 30 seconds and it works perfectly. Or if you're lucky with the belt still on a quick smack on the fan nut with a wrench/hammer might do it.

The tool is nice though, can't hurt.
Mine is on there fairly tight. I made a tool similiar to phils and it bent. I hate wasting my time so I'd just prefer buy the proper tool and be done with it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Additional part I ended up replacing
LR003814 -> crankcase ventilation tube goes on the bottom of the inlet.

The two crankcase ventilation tubes on top are notorious for turning into goo and are normal replacement parts.
Well there is one more tube which is under the inlet manifold that also turns to goo. So if you have it apart already I would recomend replacing it.

I found an alternative part number from BMW 11157560068 same exact part about $6 cheaper.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts