RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was in a rain/hailstorm that was coming down so hard I couldn't hear the starter or engine when I started it! The headliner is out for the usual sag and I started getting water dripping from the roof/body seam right in front of me while driving. Has anyone else tried to reseal the roof panel without taking it off? What did the factory use for a seal there? I use an anaerobic in a caulk gun tube that Spicer and Eaton use to seal their big truck transmissions for a lot of other things on other cars and wonder if it will work here.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
If your headliner is out it'd be a dang good time to unbolt and properly seal the panel. I've done done it in less than a day. It's also a good chance to check for rust and do sunroof maintenance and drain checks.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
52 Posts
How do you do the drain check? What to look for? Do I have to remove the headliner for that? Can I do it by just opening the sunroof?
Thank you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I put water into a squeeze bottle like the kind that has (had) dish soap in it. Then I squeezed it into the drain holes and watched the water as it drained out. Mine didn't leak but the plan was to see it dripping if there was a leak.

You can use the same method to test the drain with the headliner in, just you won't be able to see the drain tubes and will just have to look for wet spots which really could end up any number of places I suppose, so its a lot harder with the headliner in.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
If you have or had a roof rack on it, check for cracks at the top of the A pillar, It might not be the roof seal that is leaking.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Explorer0863 said:
How do you do the drain check? What to look for? Do I have to remove the headliner for that? Can I do it by just opening the sunroof?
Thank you.
A garden sprayer with hot ammonia does wonders fro cleaning the slime and swill out of front sunroof drains. The low pressure of the sprayer helps blast things out. The rear drains will have to depend on gravity to take any cleaner through the drains.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts