RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
leaking powersteering and water coming out of a bolt hole from waterpump housing

the underside of my RRC looks like the tar sands in alaska, and that's because of the pump of the powersteering is leaking
like nothing else, but i can't see from where, because everthing is coverd with a thick layer of sand and oil. I do know that this is
a common problem, so is it just the returnhose? Or should i look somewere else?
Next thing is that i had to losse some bolts on the waterpump housing, and out one hole, the cooling water was pooring out,
So could it be a gasket that is worn away on the inside? Or corrosion of the inner housing?

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: leaking powersteering and water coming out of a bolt hole from waterpump housing

No one appeared to reply and I have just made a similar call for advice. (Click my name to link to my post). Interestingly I spent sometime Searching the Forum on the subject of coolant loss from that same bolt hole and it must have been a bad selection of words on my part that your post didn't come up.

Can I ask if you sorted the issue and how please? I recall having had previous experience years ago on the Rover 3.5 V8 with cam-cover/oil pump and waterpump installation during the rebuild of a truly early series P6B engine for my kit car. The gasket between block and cam-cover had the smallest of miss-registration so the same bolt hole in question could allow coolant to flood around the bolt. My recollection here is a bit faint because it was a few years ago. I to the problem to my friend, an engine recon guy and he 'botched' it by inserting the bolt a couple of times after coating it heavily in Hermitite Red gasket seal to fill the void around it before installing the waterpump. He was able to check that excessive amounts of gasket seal hadn't made it into the waterway. This kind of gasket seal is no longer sold but there are similiar types like Hylomar Blue and their new Hylotyte Red. The engine went on to do years of wrk without problems albeit in a kit car.

I can see on my RR 3.9 engine that it has had work and that they used alot of RTV to hold the gaskets in place during assembly. It's possible that when I pulled the coolant pouring bolt that a tiny amount of RTV was torn away and it opened a path to the outside.

My engine runs fine, I don't believe there's any electrolysis that's opened a channel to the bolt. I will probably just try out the botch I saw done years ago.

I'd be grateful though if you can tell us what you did to fix the coolant loss problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts