Range Rovers Forum banner

leaking from low coolant level sensor on 2004 l322

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  diff 
#1 ·
Another leak found today as I think the low coolant level sensor in the reservoir can be turned a bit and seems to be leaking. Searched but could not find and references but a faint memory is that they cannot be repaired. So question is repairable or replace reservoir. The irony of that sensor leaking has not been lost on me. While looking it over in the dark I also noticed that the VC seems to be coming apart. Great. Now the leak at the trans cooler area may be from the other side. Comments on the reservoir would be appreciated before i take her out of services just got repair to ban brake line completed but bleeding is proving difficult

#2 ·
please proof read your post its got strange words that change the meaning,
what is a VC ,
what is a ban brake line,
whats the bleeding issue?
Testbook should be used for the line bleeding so to get the ABS unit to bleed.

Coolant leak issue can usually be prevented by using Dow Corning 111 on all of the O rings of the coolant fittings,
same for the sensors in the lines.

As you know the O rings are not sold separately .

That said you may need to fit a new coolant level sensor as it will have a new O ring to stop the leak at the tank,

I had to fit a new sensor at the trans temp sensor at the trans cooler,
as the O ring was too compressed to reseal ,
DC111 was not used prior to its original installation thus it took a set and after RnR,
the O rings kept leaking even with the application of DC111.
I did use the DC111 on the new sensor with new O ring and its dry now.

#3 ·
Thanks Stan. I was referring to the fan clutch which I thought was a viscous coupling. I was, amongst other things having a problem with a failed brake line on the van and it did not want to bleed after its repair. And then I found what I thought was a leak from the coolant level sensor in the range. So I bought a new sensor and of course it did not come with an o-ring. Then I discovered that the sensor fits into a chamber which is dry so no o ring needed and it is not designed to have an o-ring. Not sure how the sensor actually works As it turns out the leak is now likely to be the actual reservoir which must be cracked in the bottom locating nubbin as the sensor hole is dry. The cap holds pressure so i guess it leaks when coolant gets hot and pressure in the system increases. Certainly pays to study the underside of the reservoir in detail, in spite of the difficulty in doing so

#4 ·
Ok so i did the changeover of the reservoir and realized that the tank is 2 pieces bonded together under the lid as it were. Of course this is necessary due to the float that moves up and down inside the tank. When the seam starts to go fluid runs down the sides of the reservoir and drips off the bottom which makes it look like a crack from underneath. The part i bought here at Penn Auto was 110$ can. and of course the box it came in says made in china but it looks like an oem tank right down to the mold spots where plastic is injected or held by the mold and the lettering is in german. It even came with the low coolant level sensor which has a slight defect so it would not come out. Will see if i get a warning from it or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.