RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have an 04 Range Rover, my digital screen in my dashboard is broken. The letters are broken up and whenever I get a message I can’t tell half the time what it’s saying. I can barely read anything on there. Does anyone know how I could fix this for cheap? My stereo LCD screen also randomly developed this random black line in the middle of the screen which stays there constantly. What could of caused this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I will follow your post. Same vehicle and same issue started about 2 weeks ago. Mine seems to related to an electrical surge, as it happens when indicators are used. Resets after about 5 minutes but occurs whenever I use something electrical, defiantly indicators.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will follow your post. Same vehicle and same issue started about 2 weeks ago. Mine seems to related to an electrical surge, as it happens when indicators are used. Resets after about 5 minutes but occurs whenever I use something electrical, defiantly indicators.
That’s interesting. I think I had some sort of shortage somewhere which caused all this. However, I have no clue to how I got this shortage or where.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,405 Posts
Hello I have an 04 Range Rover, my digital screen in my dashboard is broken. The letters are broken up and whenever I get a message I can’t tell half the time what it’s saying. I can barely read anything on there. Does anyone know how I could fix this for cheap? My stereo LCD screen also randomly developed this random black line in the middle of the screen which stays there constantly. What could of caused this?
Sounds like the dreaded pixel problem. It's caused by a failure of the connection between the LCD display and the printed circuit board. You'll need to disassemble the instrument panel, remove the old ribbon cable, clean the connection tracks on the display and PCB, then fit a new ribbon cable.

I finally did my pixel repair over the Easter weekend 2019.
Now I know how many km I have on the beast.
Laughing

The most stressful thing is removing the needles.

I used a PixelFix kit (click link-> Range Rover dead pixel repair DIY instrument cluster LCD, MID, radio unit. I'd bought back in Dec 2015.

It was winter hence the low temperature (deg C)
Smile

There are a few videos on YouTube, e.g.,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like the dreaded pixel problem. It's caused by a failure of the connection between the LCD display and the printed circuit board. You'll need to disassemble the instrument panel, remove the old ribbon cable, clean the connection tracks on the display and PCB, then fit a new ribbon cable.

I finally did my pixel repair over the Easter weekend 2019.
Now I know how many km I have on the beast.
Laughing

The most stressful thing is removing the needles.

I used a PixelFix kit (click link-> Range Rover dead pixel repair DIY instrument cluster LCD, MID, radio unit. I'd bought back in Dec 2015.

It was winter hence the low temperature (deg C)
Smile

View attachment 284901

There are a few videos on YouTube, e.g.,
Thank you for the information!! I’m certainly gonna have to set aside some time for this. How long did it take you to perform this operation?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,405 Posts
I did it over two days of the Easter long weekend last year. Note that I trained as an electronics technician so not much stuff like this fazes me.

Getting the instrument binnacle out is a little time consuming but there are YouTube videos which are a great help, e.g.,

Getting the side vents out was the hardest bit. Be careful you don't drop the cupholder screw. Ask me how I know. I had to use a long magnetic rod to find it.
You might want to replace the footwell bulbs while the end sections are out. If you uses LEDs get quality ones. Half of the cheap Chinese ones I bought have failed.

Once you have the ends off, the rest is pretty easy.

Unless you are doing the radio pixel repair (assuming the car has got the standard radio, not the navigation system) there's no need to remove it

See also:

I didn't do the drilling holes method to disassemble the instruments and remove the printed scales. I removed the needles using a special tool supplied with the ribbon cable kit. When one buys the kit, they provide links to their how-to videos. If you don't remove them correctly, this is what happens:

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,405 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,405 Posts
You still need to remove the binnacle yourself. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts