RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scotty is after new bumpers, so I started to get ideas from my old gal.
This little tab was making the new bumper sit another 1.5" out, so it had to go...
[attachment=3:ckzveo0i]old-bracket-side.jpg[/attachment:ckzveo0i]
[attachment=2:ckzveo0i]old-bracket.jpg[/attachment:ckzveo0i]

Here it is ground to where it wont make the new bumper stand out further than needed. First cut if with a recip saw, then ground down a little.
[attachment=1:ckzveo0i]bracket-off.jpg[/attachment:ckzveo0i]

And here it is after I welded the cut part to the cross member.
[attachment=0:ckzveo0i]bracket-welded+painted.jpg[/attachment:ckzveo0i]
Both Scotty and myself want to keep the factory tow bar arrangement, as it is pure beef IMHO. I could have removed the cross member as Rock Rover do and lose the tow bar, but that was a no go for both of us (he hauls a boat, I haul either the jet ski's or a 2 axle car trailer). So I had to scratch my head for a while, but think I have a solution.
The new bumper will attach via the 8 factory holes in the rear of the frame rails, and hopefully slide into the little supports that are bolted on for the side "wings". There will also be clevis mounts in the rear of it for a solid extraction point. These will be 1" thick, 5" long, 2" high with a 1" hole drilled for a standard 3/4" shackle. If it all goes as planned, these clevis' will be sliding into the frame rails, if that gives you an idea of where they will be.
Off to get steel tomorrow, as well as a new bottle of shielding gas for the welder and wire (11lb roll went quick!).
Martin

Attachments

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Nice, :clap: :clap: I can't wait...

Scotty

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have another set of sliders here Dennis, already primed and painted with Rustoleum hammered finish paint. :thumb:
Lets see how the bumper turns out before getting ahead of ourselves! I only ordered 1 pair of clevis mounts (1"x2"x4.75"long), but should be able to get them easy enough. Going to see if I can get some 3/16" steel broke today, if not I will use angle and grind the outer corner a little more smooth.

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I can get the 3/16" broke this morning :dance: Should make my grinding life a lot easier me thinks :thumb:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
leftlanetruckin said:
I have another set of sliders here Dennis, already primed and painted with Rustoleum hammered finish paint. :thumb:
Lets see how the bumper turns out before getting ahead of ourselves! I only ordered 1 pair of clevis mounts (1"x2"x4.75"long), but should be able to get them easy enough. Going to see if I can get some 3/16" steel broke today, if not I will use angle and grind the outer corner a little more smooth.

Martin
so how much? and what'll it cost to ship? I'm leaving town Monday for about 40 days though... after that would be good, if you're driving through that'd be perfect.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Leo,
The front, when I get round to it will be a kind of copy of my ARB bumper on the XJ. Meaning that it will be contoured and have the winch mounted behind it. Like this...
[attachment=0:3b5wz43e]frontflexweb.jpg[/attachment:3b5wz43e]
The shackle mounts are 1" x 2" x 6", so a little stronger than the ones the other guy made :thumb:
Tim,
I am using all the stock RR towing setup, as it is PURE beef mate. I also do not want ANY liability for a guy that wants to tow a boat, car trailer, etc.
Dennis,
I will give you either a call or PM after the bumper is done and I get some thoughts/feedback on it mate :thumb:
I will be making the clevis' today, as the ones I ordered didnt show up yet and I am impatient to get started. I got some 1/2" x 2" x 6" steel, 4 pieces. I will drill them all, weld 2 together and chamfer the edges to make them 1" thick :wink: There will be NO strength issues for recovery....

Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
leftlanetruckin,

since you already have your rear bumper out, could you post some pics of the bumper's inner side ? My rear bumper is cracked in half, but only the plastic cover. I'm trying to source a bumper cover only but couldn't yet find someone to sell me just the plastic cover instead of the whole bumper assembly. Since I live in the dominican republic, shipping weight is an issue. How easy is to separate the plastic cover from the inner steel(?) bumper structure ?

Sorry for the OT.

N.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problem on the pics, and no problem for the OT mate.
I will snap a few pics of the stock rear bumper on the inside before I call it a day this evening!

Martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Very interesting.
What i'd really like for mine is to replace only the metal part under the plastic with a heavy duty bumper that is well hooked to the frame even to the sides.
That way, i could have a factory looking truck and add a pivot for a tire carrier.

Keep going with the photos :thumb:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
996TURBO said:
Very interesting.
What i'd really like for mine is to replace only the metal part under the plastic with a heavy duty bumper that is well hooked to the frame even to the sides.
That way, i could have a factory looking truck and add a pivot for a tire carrier.

Keep going with the photos :thumb:
In an ideal world huh? :lol:
Here are the clevis mounts I made. Drilled out to 7/8" to accept a regular 3/4" pin shackle. They are 1" thick, 2" tall and 6" long. They will be welded front and rear on some 1/4" 3x2 section that will be inside the frame rails.
[attachment=4:3gme3e5a]clevis.JPG[/attachment:3gme3e5a]
Mock up of the rear end with the top part trimmed to go around the body. Obviously it is too long right now. I am debating having a slight angle inwards at the lower edges of the sides..... :think: This will also mean that the sides will have to lean inwards as they go lower too.
[attachment=3:3gme3e5a]mockup-rear.jpg[/attachment:3gme3e5a]

Nacho, Hope these help mate?
[attachment=2:3gme3e5a]stock-bumper.jpg[/attachment:3gme3e5a]
[attachment=1:3gme3e5a]stock-bumper1.jpg[/attachment:3gme3e5a]
[attachment=0:3gme3e5a]stock-bumper2.jpg[/attachment:3gme3e5a]

Martin

Attachments

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2 More Nacho,.....
[attachment=1:5xxhizph]stock-bumper4.jpg[/attachment:5xxhizph]
[attachment=0:5xxhizph]stock-bumper-3.jpg[/attachment:5xxhizph]

Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks a lot Martin !

I finally can see what's behind all that plastic. BTW, can you estimate how much does it weight ? I was quoted +150 lbs from Atlantic British, which seems on the high side to me.

N.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
150lbs???? :lol:
I would imagine it isnt half of that mate.
I will head out there in a few minutes with the scales for you :thumb:

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, the complete bumper (plastic and metal) is @40lbs max.

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Absolutely nothing accomplished today, as I was up at 4am this morning with a killer stomach bug. Thank god I was at home and not on the road!!!!
So have felt like total crap today. Will try to get them knocked out tomorrow, as everyone else in the family has been better the next day (I was the last to get it) :pray:

Martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
AHHHH did you at least think about it? :lol:

1 - 20 of 180 Posts