RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my LCA bushings replaced on my 06 RRS S/C which stopped the slow speed mattress-creaking sound. Cool. I was hoping that it would solve the low-speed clunking sound I hear. Unfortunately, upon test driving the truck the mechanic said that I probably need a new sway bar because there is lateral movement in it which he suspects is causing a clunk when I hit bumps. He showed me the movement and it's not at the damper thing, it's the whole bar sliding around in the bushings. Also, if I drive relatively slowly (20mph) and saw back and forth on the steering wheel there is a clunk sound as I change directions which is the exact sound that happens on the bumps. I have two questions; 1. Would replacing the bar links stop the lateral movement and make the clunking sound stop? and 2. Should I also replace the sway bar bushings? I'm thinking of going poly from Polybush for longer life. (http://www.polybush.co.uk/shop/view...581_Front_ARB_Mount_31mm_Bar_Rangerover_Sport)

I've read many threads here about sway bar clunking but I don't remember any of them mentioning lateral movement in the bar. The damper in the middle that does the active anti-roll stuff looks pretty good but there is a slight trace of fluid on it. If it's leaked, could the clunking be inside the damper? I swear the sound it made when he was shifting it with his prybar was the sound it makes on bumps. It appeared to be from a couple of things that looked like movement limiters on the bar hitting the mounts. The are like steel rings with small tabs on them which appear to be somehow fused to the bar. You can see the rings on the bar here: http://www.roverlandparts.com/2006-range-rover-sport-sway-bar---ace---rear.aspx

If I'm going to replace links and bushings I want to do them myself and save money. Doesn't look too bad, but it looks like access sucks. Anyone know the part number and price of the special tool to get the sway bar bushings off?

Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey , i think we have the same problem, i changed my whole lca , sway bar end links 2 weeks ago and changed my sway bar bushings 16000 miles ago, and still have a popping noise or clunk noise when turning at low speeds , mostly heard in a parking lot. i dont know if you have been experiencing this noise/ feeling when driving at around 20 m/h you turn left and right sharply at small angles and you feel something loose knocking left and right as you turn, do you mind trying it and maybe see if you are facing the same issue as i am.

Thanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...driving at around 20 m/h you turn left and right sharply at small angles and you feel something loose knocking left and right as you turn...
Yes, I actually described that very situation in my OP. I have to say I'm a bit disheartened to hear that you've changed what I was thinking of changing without solving the problem.

I just had an idea - I'm going to put a bunch of chalk or crayon or something on the sway bar mounts and see if any gets transferred to those limiter ring things on the bar when I drive slowly and turn left and right to reproduce the clunk. That will tell me if it's the rings are banging into the mounts, or if it's actually something inside that damper making the noise. What will I do if there is color transfer? I don't know...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Exactly, i thought maybe i would save you some time anid money, i also forgot i changed my inner tie rods and still no change as well, that sounds good, if thats the case oh well atleast we know where the problem is, i had a feeling it would be my steering rack but they checked it and theres nothing wrong, do yoou also hear a loud pop noise somtimes when you take a sharp turn at low speeds?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I wouldn't call it a pop - it just kind of clunks. I haven't really been too aggressive but I'll give it a shot to see if I can reproduce the "pop". Maybe whatever is wrong with our trucks is a bit worse on yours? Maybe that's my future?

I'll let you know how the color-transfer test goes.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
43 Posts
Did you purchase the poly bushings? Any review of how they feel? Any add NVH?

Are the front and rear sway bar bushings the exact same size?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts