Range Rovers Forum banner

Last few attempts before I give up altogether

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  996TURBO 
#1 ·
I've run out of time on the range rover, so it's going to be sold soon but I'm just trying to get it in the best position to sell.

At the moment, I think it's missfiring.

It starts first time everytime with no smoke on startup and happily idles with no smoke, I think the idle revs are a bit low (around 500rpm - according to dash). It feels a little lumpy whilst on idle but nothing that would make you think eek!

When revv'd it seems to rev up smooth enough but it gives a cloud of greyish smoke, smells quite strong sort of fuelly smell. If you blip the throttle it will pop sometimes in the exhaust.

I've tried pulling each spark lead off in turn, and it seems to run pretty much the same with any one taken off, I did try with two taken off and it felt a bit worse. I got my wife to listen and she believed it made the least difference when just the front right one (as you stand in front) was removed. She thought there was a bit more of a dip when the others were removed. So that would indicate that the front right one isn't firing right?

I had it on a basic OBDII scanner which showed that the car was seeing that it was running lean on that bank, and was adding extra fuel to that bank which then seemed to be overfuelling.

I tried removing the plug which goes to the front right injector and the car ran exactly the same as without the connector in place, infact I replaced it with the car running and no difference was noticable when I reconnected it.

Is this all normal? What would you try doing to sort this?

See less See more
#2 ·
The Lambda sensors are there to aid fuelling, could be that 1 or both are on their way out.
That´s what is great with kit like BlackBox. You can read live data for all teh inputs, and I think
that is what you probably need here.

#4 ·
Thanks Lambda sensors have been tested and swapped with no change to the system.

MAF has been cleaned and tested and it's been tried with no MAF connected to use default settings. Only difference is that without the MAF connected you have to rev on startup else it cuts straight out again, once you've revved it for a few seconds it runs the same

#6 ·
Correct spark plugs fitted....?
Hows your HT leads, by now they should of been replaced, the ones from Britpart in grey work really well and are OEM but not the black leads, steer clear as they are rubbish

#8 ·
Will reply later with injector specs on testing if somebody doesnt beat me
Its in the RAVE and I think if memory serves me well (oh dear) it should read around 16 ohms cold
Im off to dinner, one hour ahead of the UK, when Im finished you can go to dinner :mrgreen:

#11 ·
First, reset your adaptive values.

PS: do you run on LPG too?

#12 ·
It runs on LPG exactly the same, but I'm currently only running on petrol

Adaptive values were reset a couple of months back but made no difference - well they did but not to this, just made it stall everytime I stopped for the first 15 minutes - was very difficult driving back with an auto that kept stalling everytime I stopped in rush hour traffic

#14 ·
sotal said:
Thinking about it - the fact that it runs the same on LPG rules out the injectors as they aren't used with the LPG system are they :doh:
No, but depending on the lpg system fitted and where and how the lpg wiring connects into the petrol side a fault in the wiring to the injector may mean the lpg system may not be getting the correct signal for that injector.

#16 ·
sotal said:
It's a single point LPG system, so that should rule out the injectors
Ok bad point. I do have the same sh**.
Your fuel map is directly affected by running on LPG. LPG is weaker mixture so fuel map richens to the max, it's good if you always run on LPG but when you need to run on petrol, you're screwed.
No power, misfires...
I'm going to upgrade my front kit to injection using BRC Sequent bits

#17 ·
sotal said:
It runs on LPG exactly the same, but I'm currently only running on petrol

Adaptive values were reset a couple of months back but made no difference - well they did but not to this, just made it stall everytime I stopped for the first 15 minutes - was very difficult driving back with an auto that kept stalling everytime I stopped in rush hour traffic
Mine did that for a while before finding an air inlet after the MAF. I believe a flashback due to LPG exploded one of the 2 little boxes after the MAF. Check that you can make your engine stall by putting your hand before the MAF. If not you have an air inlet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.