RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2008 Tdv8 sport. I came home last night after being out, while I was out I was going through puddles and drove on some bumpy roads. I also used the lowering function to help my parents get in and out of the car. (It was fine when we got to where we was going and back again dropped my parents of and came home.) The suspension fault light was coming on and off. I thought it may be the compressor anyway i got home reversed onto my drive as always and turned off the engine got out and I could smell a burning smell. tried to start the car and the battery seamed to be flat so thought no smoke so i'll look in the morning. so I have been out there and it started but the suspension wouldn't settle so checked the forum and it said about the voltage drop will cause this so I tried to start the car again but wouldn't start so I checked the battery and it was at 11volts and dropping fast. I swapped the battery with a spare I had and it started dropping too and under the bonnet started smelling of burning. I then removed the cable from the battery that goes to the fuse box under the bonnet and it was still going down. I removed the main cable and it seamed fine so I have a drain on the main cable that goes down into the engine bay, is this the one that goes to the Alternator? if so is that all it goes too? how easy is the alternator to change on these V8's ?

I know this was a bit long winded but wanted you to have all the facts..

Thanks in advance Gary

·
Registered
806 Posts
Whatever cable is getting hot you will have to follow it from end to end. Perhaps it has been rubbing on some metal and caused a short. We need more facts. A wire disappearing into the engine bay is not enough info.

·
Registered
594 Posts
There are a few ways that the alternator can fail - generally it is the diodes that fail and you just get the battery light on the dash - no other issues - however one is that it goes open circuit shorting through the starter and it flattens the battery. You need new alternator and possibly (probably) a new battery.

Some people have put a large fuse/circuit breaker in the main power cable to the alternator to stop the alternator shorting out and taking the battery with it.

garry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts