RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the model or part number of dash kit used to install a large screen unit on a p38? google, crutchfield's, sonix, best buy's and two local radio shops do not offer much help.
thanks.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
36 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I think it’s all custom.. unless you’re putting in the OEM sat/nav unit you’ll have to fully custom make your own mounting kit.

·
Super Moderator
2,199 Posts
Contact no10chris, he's got an all in one Android unit fitted in his that looks like it came that way from the factory. I'm pretty sure he's posted a picture of it on here but don't seem able to find it.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Contact no10chris, he's got an all in one Android unit fitted in his that looks like it came that way from the factory. I'm pretty sure he's posted a picture of it on here but don't seem able to find it.
thanks, I don't want a tablet I am wanting to install a multi media unit. I may change my mind after further research, options exist.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a Parrot Asteroid Smart in my 2001 which came with the car.

http://www.store-parrot.com.au/parrot-asteroid-smart.html

It's a double DIN so if you cut the dash piece carefully you can slot it in neatly; silicone it in from behind. That unit is very sophisticated with every input you can wish for including voice activated Bluetooth and reversing camera input but it's several years old and there are probably better things around now for less money.

Then you need this:

https://www.incarconnections.co.uk/land-rover-aux-input-adapters-aux-cable/land-rover-discovery-range-rover-aux-adapter-ctvlrx002-ipod.html

Which allows you to use the existing CD player input to the standard Alpine radio. You will need a different adapter for the older Clarion unit.

You will lose the CD feature BUT be able to retain the standard AM and FM features of the factory stereo, even the tape feature...

I know. Who uses tapes? but you retain teh steering wheel controls.

GOLD! I cannot recommend this mod highly enough. Mine works perfectly and if you're like me and on the phone constantly then you will love this installation.

Tom

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi, I thought about this issue. I wanted to see what would fit in the small box space beside the clock, but the best advice suggested that it would be very expensive to fit an original sat-nav unit, and to fit an after market unit would mean pretty major surgery on the dashboard panel, and also the display would actually be pretty small.

I had hoped to fit a double din unit but, again, without major work it wouldn't fit.

My solution was to install a Pioneer fold-in, single din, unit, Pioneer AVH-Z 7100 DAB. It sits well in the original radio slot, but folds out to give a touch screen double din display. I didn't get the sat-nav option as it was around an extra £300.

Pierre3.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That is a nice installation. As I had to get someone else to fit my radio I had to take his word that trying to fit the double din unit was a major job.

One of the reasons my guy quoted was that it would be very difficult to get the nice edge around the screen.

Also, I had a limited opportunity to get the job done, and I had to buy the radio myself. What I really needed was to be near someone like Dynamic Sounds in London, where I could have left the car.

However, I am happy with the radio fitted.

Pierre3.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did a write up a few months back in installing something exactly like what Chrisno10 has in his rig. It wasn’t a real tough job.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw a different lay out over the weekend, the hevac had been relocated to the top. then using the former location of the hevac and factory radio as one, the multi media unit was fitted. other than hevac looking out of place it was nice.
spoke with owner, he stated the vehicle was a recent purchase and that is the way it came, never knew the factory lay out until seeing my interior.
more ideas to ponder.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It seems a real shame to lose the original radio functionality when the after market double-DIN tablets can be wired so easily into the existing CD input of the Alpine unit, using that box from In-Car Connections.

That's my opinion of course but based on two compelling reasons: 1) It easily retains the steering wheel controls and 2) I will bet anyone twenty bucks that the AM and FM tuner sections of the existing Alpine units are only about a hundred times better than the questionable sections in those new tablets. Those old Alpine decks always had outstanding AM tuners. Think of the next owner, too; having the whole rig working right with good infotainment functionality will only help selling prices down the track.

You will lose the CD functionality but those Alpine CD stackers don't seem to stand up over time anyway and most people now carry their music on their phones. CD is of course far superior in sound quality to the compressed libraries we're all using now but if you wanted it back you could route it through one of the audio inputs on the tablet pretty easily, with some loss of sound quality.

Tom

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems a real shame to lose the original radio functionality when the after market double-DIN tablets can be wired so easily into the existing CD input of the Alpine unit, using that box from In-Car Connections.

That's my opinion of course but based on two compelling reasons: 1) It easily retains the steering wheel controls and 2) I will bet anyone twenty bucks that the AM and FM tuner sections of the existing Alpine units are only about a hundred times better than the questionable sections in those new tablets. Those old Alpine decks always had outstanding AM tuners. Think of the next owner, too; having the whole rig working right with good infotainment functionality will only help selling prices down the track.

You will lose the CD functionality but those Alpine CD stackers don't seem to stand up over time anyway and most people now carry their music on their phones. CD is of course far superior in sound quality to the compressed libraries we're all using now but if you wanted it back you could route it through one of the audio inputs on the tablet pretty easily, with some loss of sound quality.

Tom
the factory set up on my truck was removed and replaced long before I owned it, I think the current aftermarket radio in it has a manufacture date of march 2010. all steering controls work, but head unit is slowly loosing features and functionality. that being said it is a 20 yr old vehicle I think originality sailed out the door long ago.
personally I would not return to factory set up, that technology is too old, too limited for current driving experience, specially in places such as my localities and its surrounds where hands free use is a legal must, hence my wanting to upgrade.

·
Registered
559 Posts
When I did my initial Android install, I had already replace the stock head unit with a Pioneer. This used Line Outputs (x5) to feed the door amps and sub without messing about with attenuators. Proper grounding & unbalancing sorted out the hum, etc.

Then when I did my first Android Tablet in Car: https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/241970-tablet-installation-post1716898.html#post1716898 (post-8 in that thread) I simply fed the tablet audio output to the Pioneer for MP3, but used the Pioneer FM radio. Main downside was SatNav could not override FM Audio.

Last year I replaced with a much newer full android stereo. This time only the LCD screen is in the dash, connected via a 100cm ribbon cable to the main head unit under the left seat by the EAS ECU. This keeps the electronics cooler, being away from the heater. The 5 line outputs from the HU then connect through 5 balancing transformers to the door & sub amplifiers, so the noise & hum cancellation works properly as designed by HK. Then installed single din cubby where the old stereo was, for phone, etc.

Now I use DAB+ for radio, Waze & Google sat-nav, plus 32GB SD card for MP3. Bluetooth works for phone calls with Siri Voice Dial. The HU also supports the P38 steering controls without any adapters required. I even tried a USB Car-Play adapter which wored well, but the call audio was not as good as bluetooth, so junked that one.

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_2428.JPG

IMG_2431.JPG

·
Super Moderator
2,199 Posts
With a pre-99 car that was fitted with the Clarion unit, it is easy to add a line in and, if you need it, attach a Bluetooth module to the line in. That way you keep the original appearance but gain Bluetooth connectivity for phone calls and streaming music. Not so easy on the later Alpine unit but you can go down the Grom route for those. However, if you've got a dead original sat nav, then using an Android unit wired into the original stereo gives you Bluetooth, Google Maps, Spotify and anything else you choose while still retaining the original head unit and steering wheel controls. Alternatively, wire the Android unit to the speakers, remove the original unit and fit a single DIN oddments bin in it's place.

Edited to add that a picture of the latter option has been posted while I was writing this.....

·
Registered
341 Posts
I did a double din install.
I now have am/fm cd, dvd, Bluetooth to my phone, Pandora, Spotify, a rear camera, custom screen background and steering wheel controls
Here is an older photo. Notice the blue USB ports in the old Cigar lighter area.

And the cubby above holds other stuff as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts