RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Look Rich, can see you need a serious talking to...... Your LP is 14 yrs old now - show me a mobile phone that works thats more than 10 yrs old.Positive vibes about the product,just because there are no spares available,(Or often the wrong/poor quality ones.)there is no need to get all cynical - thats MY job. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
allyv8 said:
Look Rich, can see you need a serious talking to...... Your LP is 14 yrs old now - show me a mobile phone that works thats more than 10 yrs old.Positive vibes about the product,just because there are no spares available,(Or often the wrong/poor quality ones.)there is no need to get all cynical - thats MY job. :lol:
:naughty:

Ever thought of becoming Marketing Director for JLR? :lol:

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,426 Posts
Not much use in Australia - I'm pretty sure that's a GSM phone and the GSM network is limited to major highways and the cities/large towns.

One needs a 3G phone and that needs to be on 850MHz as the 2100MHz 3G networks are run by the smaller players, e.g., Vodafone, and they have no coverage outside the capital cities. Even 3 (Orange) has limited coverage - unless you buy an 850MHz/2100MHz 3G phone that can roam from their 2100MHz 3G network to the much larger Telstra 850MHz 3G network.

Talking networks, I was amazed at the paucity of network coverage where I travelled (Pacific NW) in the USA. I had two mobiles with me, one on AT&T and the other on T-Mobile. I'd regularly have no coverage, especially in Richmond, SFO, and down the I-101.

In comparison, I was in the middle of the desert in Australia, in a place called Cook, a town with a population of 4 - four - and I had Telstra coverage.

See http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sour ... 09&t=h&z=7

With my 850MHz 3G phone, I'm rarely without coverage anywhere I go in Oz.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just come off the '3' network as I found it to restricting. It is supposed to be a 3G network but I never found any advantage to it over Orange who I've used between 2002 and 2007.

In about 1998, Kenya went cellphone and that made a huge difference to life. Previously, to get an international line from where I lived, I had to go through an operator using a very poor rural phone infrastructure. Great sections of phone line disappeared overnight. Obviously it was valuable and often the copper wire was used to make tourist bracelets and other jewelery. :lol: It was all a huge effort and very expensive. :roll:

When the cellphone came it it was amazing. The coverage wasn't and still isn't excellent, but the main roads/reserver/parks and villages/towns around Kenya are now covered. I wouldn't go anywhere without my mobile.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,426 Posts
Rich998a said:
I've just come off the '3' network as I found it to restricting. It is supposed to be a 3G network but I never found any advantage to it over Orange who I've used between 2002 and 2007.
:?:

'3', in Australia, used to be called Orange. Same company.

Orange used to be CDMA in Oz, but closed that down a few years ago and went 3G. My wife's phone is on '3' (with roaming to Telstra's Next-G (850MHz 3G) network); mine is on Telstra GSM or Next-G depending in which phone I've fitted the USIM card.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are starting to sound like a telecoms engineer. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
By the sounds of things there isn't one network that cover all of Australia, so you have to switch if you want coverage at all times.

Seems like here really.

And when I was in NorCal a few years ago my british phone ( I was with Vodafone at the time ) just found whatever netwrok was strongest. I've never been abroad and had a problem.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,426 Posts
Rich998a said:
You are starting to sound like a telecoms engineer. :wink:
37 years before I moved to controlling trains.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,426 Posts
Tim (Scotland) said:
By the sounds of things there isn't one network that cover all of Australia, so you have to switch if you want coverage at all times.

Seems like here really.

And when I was in NorCal a few years ago my british phone ( I was with Vodafone at the time ) just found whatever netwrok was strongest. I've never been abroad and had a problem.
There is one network which literally covers the whole country - Telstra, regrettably one of the most disliked companies in Oz. I worked for them (but only because the company for which I had been with for most of my working life was merged with them). No one else will spend the money to put the infrastructure and staff in place to service the country. The other carriers only want the cream, i.e., the cities where most people live. Telstra is the equivalent of AT&T and BT. It covers the country with mobile, fixed line, and radio comms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts