RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I've been watching the ongoing discussion regarding the timing chain plastic guide issues on my model year sport. Given several members have been able to get them repaired under warranty, I was interested in following up with my local dealer as I also have the extended factory warranty. As bad chance had it, got a low coolant alarm Friday. I looked at the reservoir and it was really low, however, no evidence of leaking on the garage floor. Never drove on it, just turned it off and let it sit in the garage. I poured about a liter of distilled water in, watched it over the weekend sitting in the garage (no leakage) and took it in this morning to the Mission Viejo Land Rover dealership. First, I was told that they wouldn't even be able to get to my car for at least 3-4 days. No problem as I know they're busy. But I couldn't believe when the SA said the new policy of LR is that you only get 3 days of a loan car and that's only by appointment. After which, you have to return the car or pay for loaner even if they haven't finished the car. I told him that's a bad policy for a company that makes cars known to break down a lot and is supposed to have great service. Not to mention that other than basic service, everytime I've had issues with the car, it's usually a 4-5 day stay with them. Has anyone else heard of this? He claimed it was all dealerships.

My SA then came and looked with a flashlight at the engine and he thinks he saw some fluid by the water pump. But now I was told hey bring it back next Monday for an appointment and if it gets low again in the meantime, just pour some more distilled water into the engine. Kind of seems like a liability to me if something happens with the car till then. Does this sound like an OK thing to do?

Finally, I brought up the TSB and the plastic tensioner issue and he didn't even look at it and kind of brushed it off. He said there's only been 2 cars that he knows of that have needed that repair and the car would give timing and cam positioning errors if they were to fail and not grenade the engine like I was worried about. Does that sound right? To other's who have gotten the repair done, was it a battle with your dealership? I'm considering taking it to another dealership if they look at it (which they can't even do at my appointment for the coolant issue because they're so busy, and you guessed it, would run over my 3 day loan car "allowance" so I'd have to make a separate appointment just for that) and then say, sorry, no repair at this time.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Your SA is being a horses pucker vent. Loaner cars are not an LRNA policy. Loaner cars are up to the individual franchise location.

Water pumps seem to be a rather common issue for some reason. Hardly anything to break a sweat over. Check it before each trip over this week. If you forget the light will let you know. That likely hood that it is going to somehow have a catastrophic failure is so slim over the next few days it's not worth the added stress.

As for the TSB, make sure to speak with his supervisor and file a complaint with the franchise owner if neither are going to check into it. Also call LRNA and file a formal concern and get a case number. The SA can not make the blanket statement that your rig does not need the TSB applied without at least looking into it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thank you for reply and added confidence! I will have them take care of the water pump first. But if he doesn't do his due diligence to investigate the guide tensioner issue, I will do as you recommend. Thank you!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am pretty curious how true that is regarding the codes. Does it always throw codes before failure happens?

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
741 Posts
" But I couldn't believe when the SA said the new policy of LR is that you only get 3 days of a loan car and that's only by appointment."

Not sure what kind of LR warranty you have, but my official LR extended warranty contract states that there's a fixed dollar amount allowed for a rental car until the car is completed. It's not a dealership policy thing, it's what is stated on my contract.

As for the timing chain, I actually had no idea about it until I picked up my car. My only complaint was a slight tapping from the engine. The dealer went ahead and did the timing chain guides and the supercharger pulley without me mentioning any specific TSB's. I am in south florida though and my dealer told me the timing chain guide issues are much more prevalent in warmer climates.

I would find a different dealer to voice your complaints.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well sounds like you definitely have a better dealer you're dealing with. I have the official LR extended warranty as well. I don't recall seeing anything about the fixed dollar amount but I'll bring that up. I just need to get the water pump fixed now but will definitely take it to another dealer for the timing chain guides. I'm in SoCal so warm climate too. Thanks for the info.

**Update: I called another local dealership and the SA I usually deal with there said that the LR extended warranty won't cover the timing chain guides UNTIL there's a failure. I said so I have to wait for my engine to essentially grenade before they will do anything? He said yes. I guess the next step is to call the warranty company and find out what the deal is. As a side note, this dealership is booked more than 2 weeks out and won't give more than a one day loaner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts