RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I immobilised my 2000 Range Rover when I replaced the batteries in both key fobs at the same time (silly me), and now can't disarm the car or synchronise my keys.

I couldn't find the EKA code in my pile of papers so asked my dealer to ask Land Rover for it. They found my vehicle on their system alright but replied with the e-mail: "EKA code: none".

Very weird, as my owners guide specifically explains the EKA code and the manual key-turning process. Just to be sure I entered the 1515 code for North American models and no, it didn't work. (NB. I'm in Qatar and not sure if it's a Europe or US model)

So my owners manual says to enter an EKA code but Land Rover says the car has none. Any suggestions on how to disarm the car in this situation?

Many thanks in frustration.

- Ben

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Many NA market rigs have no EKA. My rig was set for 1234 when I purchased it. So was a buddies old Vitesse. You may have to have your BeCM set to back normal status. You can also have your immobilizer turned off to prevent this in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
benfiggis said:
Hi, I immobilised my 2000 Range Rover when I replaced the batteries in both key fobs at the same time (silly me), and now can't disarm the car or synchronise my keys.

I couldn't find the EKA code in my pile of papers so asked my dealer to ask Land Rover for it. They found my vehicle on their system alright but replied with the e-mail: "EKA code: none".

Very weird, as my owners guide specifically explains the EKA code and the manual key-turning process. Just to be sure I entered the 1515 code for North American models and no, it didn't work. (NB. I'm in Qatar and not sure if it's a Europe or US model)

So my owners manual says to enter an EKA code but Land Rover says the car has none. Any suggestions on how to disarm the car in this situation?

Many thanks in frustration.

- Ben
What happens when you put your key in the door and turn it? Does the car lock/unlock? Taking batteries out on both should not affect/cause this. You just need to re-synchronise the key fobs to becm - follow the re-sync proceedure in the manual.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
You can also have your immobilizer turned off to prevent this in the future.
Just make sure you tell your insurance company afterwards. It could be a difficult conversation to explain why your car with a 'factory immobilser' was able to be hotwired and nicked "by a yoof with a screwdriver".....

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,421 Posts
Early Australian-delivered cars also had no EKA. It wasn't enabled. Mine isn't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
paul.adshead said:
What happens when you put your key in the door and turn it? Does the car lock/unlock? Taking batteries out on both should not affect/cause this. You just need to re-synchronise the key fobs to becm - follow the re-sync proceedure in the manual.
Hi Paul, with the key itself I can lock and unlock the driver's door, but this does not centrally lock/unlock all the doors.

The owners manual says that when the alarm/immobilser is active (and thanks to passive immobilisation it pretty much always is), the automatic re-synch procedure (ie. sticking the key in the ignition) does not work. This is indeed my experience.

Normally replacing the batteries in a key fob (and losing the synch) isn't a problem, because you can use the other key to de-activate the alarm/immobilisation. The mistake I made was to replace the batteries in both key fobs at the same time, thereby leaving myself no way of de-activating the immobilisation.

Normally in this situation you would enter the EKA code, but alas as mentioned Land Rover says I don't have one (and 1515 doesn't work).

I will take it into the dealer. I guess I should tell them to somehow de-activate the immobilisation using their magic (which will then allow the keys to be re-synched)?

Thanks for any further advice on this.

- Ben

·
Registered
151 Posts
I might be wrong on this, but the manual says your MY syncs the fobs the moment you put your key in the barrel. My '99 came without key #2, so I bought a new OEM. One turn in the barrel and it synced. Maybe Land Rover magic.... :think:

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
benfiggis said:
paul.adshead said:
Hi Paul, with the key itself I can lock and unlock the driver's door, but this does not centrally lock/unlock all the doors.
I would suspect you have a drivers door lock fault. Have you ever/recently, turned the key in the drivers door lock and had all the other doors open/alarm turn off? When you turn the key in the door lock, do the indicators flash? I'd work on getting the drivers door lock fixed (do it with the battery disconnected), then try the re-sync again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi
Have I missed something?
The Keyfob sync routine, has it been tried?
Not the keylock routine as shown in the owners manual but the routine not shown in owners manual ( at least not mine)
TURN KEY TO LOCK POSITION HOLDING LOCK BUTTON FOR 3 SECS
TURN KEY TO UNLOCK POSITION HOLDING UNLOCK BUTTON FOR 3 SECS.
As Paul says all doors should lock and unlock together.
Silly to mention it but Passive immobilisation of key in ignition only works with integral key. Not loose key.
Good luck

·
Registered
69 Posts
Early Australian-delivered cars also had no EKA. It wasn't enabled. Mine isn't.

Ron, All,

my P38 is an Early Australian delivered vehicle. I seem to have a lock out but I too have no EKA according to the Dealers.

So what should I do?
I have had no wheels since Sunday.
Please help if you can before I buy a commodore ...

Paul.

D

·
0 Posts
Sorry, Paul, but again then the only way to remove the 'keycode lock-out' is via BECM re-programming/sync (and get them to add an EKA code at the same time...).

-Better to have a commode rather than a commodore when these lock-outs happen... ?

Just read your other thread... A$8k ?? What ? Get the commode again !!

-It will cost much less that this, but you will have to remove/ship the BECM for unlocking if there is no local indy with the right equipment to do it...

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/becm/index.html

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Dave All,

thanks for this reply. I didn't know I had it as I didn't have notifications turned on like I thought I did.

It's been with a mechanic for a week. He didn't seem to be able to cope with it and he had it towed to a dealer. The dealer has apparently re synced the BeCM to the ECM from what I am told. I asked the mechanic to get the dealer to put an EKA code into it and give me the that code. I don't think the basta*ds will give me one.

To cope with this if it happens again I was thinking of buying a BeCM sync mate from blackbox solutions. If I get one of these does that mean I don't need an EKA code ?Will it short cut the need for an EKA code?

many thanks,
Paul.

Sorry, Paul, but again then the only way to remove the 'keycode lock-out' is via BECM re-programming/sync (and get them to add an EKA code at the same time...).-Better to have a commode rather than a commodore when these lock-outs happen... ? Just read your other thread... A$8k ?? What ? Get the commode again !!-It will cost much less that this, but you will have to remove/ship the BECM for unlocking if there is no local indy with the right equipment to do it...http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/becm/index.html

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
I asked the mechanic to get the dealer to put an EKA code into it and give me the that code. I don't think the basta*ds will give me one.
Most likely they would not be able to accomodte this request. In order to enter an EKA code and change that level of programming your BeCM would have to be unlocked. Very few dealers have the equipment necessary to unlock a BeCM.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ok thanks. I was only thinking this possible as davewp38 suggested :

(and get them to add an EKA code at the same time...).

still would like to know if the becm syncmate will subvert the need to know the eka anyway?
anyone?

thanks,
Paul.

Most likely they would not be able to accomodte this request. In order to enter an EKA code and change that level of programming your BeCM would have to be unlocked. Very few dealers have the equipment necessary to unlock a BeCM.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Ok thanks. I was only thinking this possible as davewp38 suggested :

(and get them to add an EKA code at the same time...).

still would like to know if the becm syncmate will subvert the need to know the eka anyway?
anyone?

thanks,
Paul.
The syncmate i'm aware of will not help you with a keycode lockout, the sync mate is for the [loss of] Engine(ECM) > BeCM mobilization codes. Two different things.

on GEM's your Check Engine light will illuminate on receipt of a valid code.

·
Registered
69 Posts
thanks Larry,

I think I had a mobilisation code issue. So that code is different.

is the EKA for the KeyFob only? Or something else?
can someone confirm?
I guess I didn't need an EKA even though my truck doesn't have one and I was trying to get one. As my keyfob worked quite well.

so many codes !

cheers,
Paul.

The syncmate i'm aware of will not help you with a keycode lockout, the sync mate is for the [loss of] Engine(ECM) > BeCM mobilization codes. Two different things.

·
Registered
69 Posts
snip//

Another question please. When the P38 is all working, is it normal for the "check engine" to come up as a part of the start up sequence as you start the car? Or is it showing that there is a fault ?

It seems from what you say above Larry that when fixed I should see this check engine light. But my P38 is fixed ( 400 bucks later ) and now I don't see the check engine any more. I'm pretty sure I used to.

Perhaps the dealer has disabled the BeCM / ECM mobilization code procedure for me so that it doesn't happen again. I HOPE SO. But don't know.

chs,
P.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Some more info...

I just realised that there is a "check engine" specific symbol and light on the instrument panel. BUT I know I have seen the writing words "CHECK ENGINE" on the lcd display in the instrument panel. Perhaps my VERY EARLY P38 (1995) has the words and not the symbol. I've not noticed the symbol before but I will look for it tonight. If it has both I don't understand the significance of any difference? But I do read from rangrovers.net that there does seem to be a showing of that light when things are OK as well as a showing when things are not OK.

"On all models, when the unarmed state has been achieved, the BeCM transmits a mobilisation code to the engine ECM commencing 48 milliseconds after the ignition is turned on, and until it receives a confirmation signal from the ECM telling it to illuminate the "Check Engine" light (as an indication of correct operation) and allows engine cranking when requested. In turn, the ECM enables engine fuelling and proceeds to allow all engine controls to act normally. "

I was SO HAPPY to drive it again and have it fixed last night when I picked it up. BUT I need to stop it happening again somehow. And they didn't tell me exactly what went wrong. Just keep coming back to pay big bucks every time it happens!!!!!!!!!! . I am pretty sure it was not a lack of EKA code but a lack of BECM / ECM code that was the problem so I guess a back box solutions syncmate is what I need to buy. But it's still hard to be sure of anything.

chs,
Paul.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts