RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that a lot you guys living in the Colonies use the term "Rover" to describe your Land Rover Range Rover's. I just wondered if you knew the reputation that the car maker "Rover" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_Company) has in the UK and the rubbish it used to produce before going out of business recently. I very much doubt you will ever hear anybody in the motherland refer to their prestigious Range Rover as a "Rover" :naughty:

Here's what you may be driving if you have got a "Rover" in the garage: :lol:

Or for those that like to Mod their Rovers:

Land Rover was also a British Leyland Company originally (Part of the Rover Car Company) but has been a completely separate Company and Brand since 1967, just before the Range Rover was launched!

No offence meant it just makes me laugh every time here a RR referred to as a Rover..... 8~

·
Registered
27 Posts
I guessed it was down to Rover not deciding to sell those shonky cars in the USA that they inflicted on the UK public.
As we say, "It's a Rover. Driven by someone considerably older."

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to own the Rover 75 Estate below so I appreciate they did make a few good cars but generally speaking the brand should not be confused with Range Rover.

PS: I bought it new but always though the door panels did not match and still do think that looking at the picture. Rover would have none of it....

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
332 Posts
Thats OK guys. Over here, Corvetts have a stigma of being driven by bald old men with gold chains. (im actually looking at a 2007 C6 sans the gold chain)

·
Registered
27 Posts
The 75 was not a real Rover though was it? I thought it was mostly BMW. It was siad to be the best car Rover had made for a long time.

As for why BMW bought Rover. I believe they paid a 0.8 billion, got a backhander from the UK taxpayers and then sold of Land Rover for 1.8 billion.
Quite a good investment...

Not to mention that most of the investment they made went to the Cowley plant, which BMW kept. A new engine facility, which they kept. And a few other things they kept too. Like the MINI brand.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
196 Posts
Fox said:
I guessed it was down to Rover not deciding to sell those shonky cars in the USA that they inflicted on the UK public.
As we say, "It's a Rover. Driven by someone considerably older."
They did sell one of their shonky heaps in the US, the 800 called a Sterling and it was every bit as dreadful as you can imagine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
you boys knocking a good car, landrover engineers and rover engineers designed the p38 as a joint effort and was bought as a "pair" by bmw in 94. the 75 is all rover except for the diesel model and wiring looms which use bmw multi plugs, and before any one else knocks rover they aslo designed and built the new mini and unvailed it at the nec in 98/99 which bmw kept for itself when they sold on the brand.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Here in the States we had Rover in the late 80's badges as Sterling. I had an 825 and then an 827. Terrific driving cars... when they ran. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
385 Posts
Rover and Land Rover were the same company till 1978.

Well, yes, the end year were quite bad, but earlier cars, P4, P5, P6, even the Sd1 were very nice and luxury cars.

·
Registered
206 Posts
While growing up in Argentina, my first encounter with a Brit car was when my dad bought a second hand '95 Rover 414SLi. On it's maiden voyage, it overheated and blew all kind of gaskets... oh well, some things never change.

N.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Gazellio said:
Land Rover was also a British Leyland Company originally (Part of the Rover Car Company) but has been a completely separate Company and Brand since 1967, just before the Range Rover was launched!
Funny that the Classic Range Rover used a Rover V8 (developed from the Buick engine by Rover engineers for a Rover car), the same engine that was used in the Series 3 Land Rover, the 90, 110, 127, Defender, Discovery 1 & 2 and p38 Range Rover. The Rover six cylinder engine also appeared in the Series 2 and 3 LRs. The Classic had the door handles from a Rover SD1, the Discovery 1 had the rear lights from a Rover Montego van, the Freelander had Rover K-series petrol engines and, initially, a Rover diesel engine, not too mention all the Rover trim on the inside.

What BMW purchased was Rover Group, which consisted of Rover and Land Rover. All the assembly line workers in Rover's plants wore Rover group shirts which had both Rover and Land Rover logos on them.
Rover and land Rover were only separated when BMW sold LR to Ford in 2000.

Rover used to make some very high quality, very advanced vehicles. It only went wrong when Pressed Steel (the maker of their panel dies) was bought by a competitor and the whole BMC/BLMC/BL disaster happened.
Back in the 60s Rover was second only to Rolls Royce in terms of quality and engineering, Jaguar was considered next best, but a bit common and cadish.
Rover were building gas turbine cars in the 50's, the p5 was the official car of British government until about 15 years after it was discontinued and the queen had a p5 as her own personal car for about 20 years.
The sd1 could have rescued Rover had trade union problems not caused so many production issues. Can you name another spacious, fast, v8, luxury, european car available in 1976...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts